problem with ODIN while trying to root

moonman079

Reaction score
this is the first time i have tried to root a phone. but i have been trying for over an hour and no matter what i do ODIN does not recognize my phone. so far the only thing i have managed to do is somehow go back to the 4.0.4 software. does anyone have any advice?

jamjr74

Reaction score
Do u have USB debugging checked off in settings?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

clueless77

Reaction score
gonna ask a silly question. did you have the phone its self in download mode? i know this is an obvious question, but more details you give the easier to try and fix.

OP
M

moonman079

Reaction score
I thought I was supposed to have debug unchecked. I guess I misunderstood on that part. I am not sure if the phone was in download mode. I watched a vid on youtube and did what it said but nothing was said about download mode. I am new to all of this and am still learning. Thanks for the replies guys. I will give it another try when I get home later.

OP
M

moonman079

Reaction score
ok i tried everything again with the right stuff checked this time. and i am still not having any luck now when i press power volume down and home the download screen pops up but then it goes blank after a second like the phone has shut down. i tried about 15 times and never could get it to load the screen fully. i can turn the phone off and on just fine but for some reason going into download mode seems to shut the phone down.

clueless77

Reaction score
ok i tried everything again with the right stuff checked this time. and i am still not having any luck now when i press power volume down and home the download screen pops up but then it goes blank after a second like the phone has shut down. i tried about 15 times and never could get it to load the screen fully. i can turn the phone off and on just fine but for some reason going into download mode seems to shut the phone down.
if you hold the down button too long it automatically shut down as a safety feature. as soon as you see the screen loading you have to press the up button.

also, are you on the verizon S3? if so i have a few links that may help you.

OP
M

moonman079

Reaction score
yeah i am with verizon. i have watched one of the videos i got from a link here about rooting and not losing your data about 20 times. i downloaded all the files it said to and have tried alot of the past few days but i still can not get oin to recognize my phone. and half the time i try to load in download mode the screen only loads half way and the phone shuts off. i may just stop for now and wait until one of my buddies can help me. from everything i watched or read it shouldnt be this difficult to do it.

deathwhitch

Reaction score
if you hold the down button too long it automatically shut down as a safety feature. as soon as you see the screen loading you have to press the up button.

also, are you on the verizon S3? if so i have a few links that may help you.

I'm on Verizon having the same problem. Odin just refuses to recognize the phone even when the pc is setting it as connected. Right drivers, all property boxes checked etc just no luck

I'd love to see these links, must be something I'm missing