problem with earpiece

fic1

Reaction score
I just got my Razr Maxx HD and when you talk or waiting while it rings the earpiiece sound like static or crackling and when talking sounds like a walkie talkie, any Idea what that could be

shadesofthesun

Reaction score
I have the same issue from time to time. This may sound weird and I read it online and it actually works. Seems like small particles get into the earpiece and cause this issue, I basically sucked on the earpiece and it worked great again. I later tried a suction method with a hand held blow bulb I use the clean off my PC keyboard. This worked too. Honestly I don't think this issue should happen with this phone.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Just a random suggestion that used to work on older phones. Is WiFi on while you are using it? Turn it off and see if it still happens.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

GuitarDreamer131

Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one. I've been having this problem as well. The louder the earpiece is, the more pronounced it is. It sounds like a buzzing noise every time someone speaks, and is more pronounced at various frequencies. I'm thinking of trying to exchange it tomorrow. Anyone else with this problem?:icon_frown:

I tried sucking on the speaker area, tried shooting some compressed air in there, and even tried vacuuming it out with the extension on my vacuum cleaner. None of those seems to help. I almost sounds like a blown speaker, but much milder than that. It sounds more like something is rattling inside or loose causing it to make a buzz sound sort of like a bee or fly as sounds come through. Ugh...

Last edited:

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
I have the same issue from time to time. This may sound weird and I read it online and it actually works. Seems like small particles get into the earpiece and cause this issue, I basically sucked on the earpiece and it worked great again. I later tried a suction method with a hand held blow bulb I use the clean off my PC keyboard. This worked too. Honestly I don't think this issue should happen with this phone.

"I basically sucked on the earpiece..." This brings a whole new level to a man's/woman's love for a phone. Technological erotica at its finest.

xmguy

Reaction score
Thank God I'm not the ONLY one with this issue. I've gone though 4 Razr Maxx HD units. All have had this issue. Might work fine for a few days then suddenly if I turn the volume much past half way it will distort. Sounding like the speaker is broken. I've tried compressed air to no avail. VZW might end up having to get me into another phone if this keeps up.

Last edited:

xmguy

Reaction score
"I basically sucked on the earpiece..." This brings a whole new level to a man's/woman's love for a phone. Technological erotica at its finest.
HAHA! I don't suck my phones! I blow them. ;) But really that doesn't even help. I've had this happen over time with my Motorola Bionic but it's usually a while after owning it. Not with days-weeks.

Last edited:

GuitarDreamer131

Reaction score
Thank God I'm not the ONLY one with this issue. I've gone though 4 Razr Maxx HD units. All have had this issue. Might work fine for a few days then suddenly if I turn the volume much past half way it will distort. Sounding like the speaker is broken. I've tried compressed air to no avail. VZW might end up having to get me into another phone if this keeps up.

Ugh...4? I hope that isn't what I have to look forward to. :dry:

jaydub5

Reaction score
Sounds like (no pun intended) Motor has got to get off their button and fix thess
issues. Why the hell would FOUR phones have the same issues... POOR QUALITY
CONTROL in either the original manufacturing process or refurbishment.

This is not the way Android is going to beat Apple!

gbishop

Reaction score
same problem...

Yeah I've had 5 razr m's in the past 3 months, all with the same static hissing in the earpiece. It usually take a few days to a week to kick in. but without fail it will. The wired stereo thing does nothing, neither does sucking or blowing on it. Kind of a bummer considering how sweet of a phone it is...any other ideas?

BobDog437

Reaction score
I just got a MAXX HD, a couple of days ago and was thinking how good it sounded (in my car dock) compared to all the static and hiss, from my Bionic. Don't tell me this is what I have to look forward to......again. I have seen radio/electronic technicians use cans of terminal cleaner, which they use to clean connections. I wonder if this would work? I am sure with open ports, oxidation must occur and seems like this may be a possible solution, as well as maintaining USB and HDMI ports.

xmguy

Reaction score
I've gone through about 7-10 Razr Maxx HD units. Some have had other issues unrelated to the earpiece. However ALL over time have gotten the distorted/broken ear piece sound. I'm biding my time til VZW allows me to get another phone. Maybe the Note 2.

Idaho_G

Reaction score
I just got my Maxx HD a month ago and the only issue I had was accidentally putting a screen protector over my Mic. That was embarrassing. I hope there isn't a serious defect with these things.

shadesofthesun

Reaction score
Update, I have my second replacement Maxx HD coming Monday. Same problem with the crackling earpiece. I use this phone in the same manner as my Droid X for 2yrs and it never happened to it.

xmguy

Reaction score
Update, I have my second replacement Maxx HD coming Monday. Same problem with the crackling earpiece. I use this phone in the same manner as my Droid X for 2yrs and it never happened to it.

I hear you. I have a 6 month old Referb Bionic. Works great. I'm on my 11 or so. Its the only Motorola phone I ever had that's been this low quality.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx HD using Droid Forums