Anyone have a crackling earpiece?

danieljw

Reaction score
So I just activated my Droid Pro last weekend. I haven't done a lot of talking but, so far, every time I talk I get a crackling sound in the earpiece when the in-call volume is at 50% or above. Is anyone else experiencing this or did I get a lemon? I purchased it new from Amazon.

If it's a malfunction, one concern I have is that I've already activated the SIM and got the GSM unlocked. Will this be a problem to redo on the replacement phone?

Thanks,
djw

tt07

Reaction score
So I just activated my Droid Pro last weekend. I haven't done a lot of talking but, so far, every time I talk I get a crackling sound in the earpiece when the in-call volume is at 50% or above. Is anyone else experiencing this or did I get a lemon? I purchased it new from Amazon.

If it's a malfunction, one concern I have is that I've already activated the SIM and got the GSM unlocked. Will this be a problem to redo on the replacement phone?

Thanks,
djw

So did you buy it unlocked or was it locked to verizon when you got it? The best thing to do is either contact your carrier or motorola CS. Im just wondering where you got it from if the manufacturers warranty would carry over since you unlocked it for GSM use.

Ive had a few problems with the speaker quality on the phone, but it only happens every once in awhile so doesnt bother me since Im not on the phone constantly.

s0calkpr

Reaction score
Mine has done that with my handsfree set in the car from the beginning. Don't know how to solve it.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

Jiggs

Reaction score
Yes, I had that. It was hard to hear people. I got a replacement from Amazon and the new one is fine. No noise.

OP
D

danieljw

Reaction score
Verizon did all of the unlocking for me. The phone is completely vanilla.

OP
D

danieljw

Reaction score
Just wanted to update and say that the replacement phone is perfect. Had a hell of a time getting Verizon to unlock the new phone though. ("We can only unlock one phone every 10 months.") I guess when a 10+ year customer threatens to leave, they'll bend over backward a little bit.

Thanks for the help!

eug

Reaction score
I got my Droid Pro last week and noticed this too - the speaker would distort when the volume is set to something high. The speakerphone and a bluetooth headset sounds fine, so it's definitely a problem with the speaker.

I remembered an old trick that worked on an older phone, so I tried it on the droid pro and it fixed it for me - no more crackling.

What I did was to create seal around the speaker with my lips (clean the phone first of course!) and do a gentle blowing-sucking action to move the speaker diaphragm.

Hopefully that works for anyone else who has the same problem!