Problem w/ cox e-mails?

djandj

Reaction score
Just got my Droid X and I have my e-mail through Cox Communications business. Was told at the Verizon store that there is a problem in communications between Cox e-mail accounts and Droid. True. I only get some e-mails and cannot send.
Anyone have this proble? More importantly, any have a solution?

Thanks

jeffe65

Reaction score
I've been using COX for quite a while without problems; mine isn't a business account though.

You may want to check with COX to make sure you're set-up correctly.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
D

djandj

Reaction score
I've been using COX for quite a while without problems; mine isn't a business account though.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Yep - seems to be the business accounts only for some reason

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong but unless you are using Exchange you should not have any issues. The phone or VZW have no idea if the email is personal or business. If you use the same settings from your computer it should work.

OP
D

djandj

Reaction score
I may be wrong but unless you are using Exchange you should not have any issues. The phone or VZW have no idea if the email is personal or business. If you use the same settings from your computer it should work.

While it seems odd, I was told this by 2 different people at the verizon store. And I can receive e-mail, but not send. (at least not yet) Still fiddling.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

While it seems odd, I was told this by 2 different people at the verizon store. And I can receive e-mail, but not send. (at least not yet) Still fiddling.

Check the computer settings for outgoing email

OP
D

djandj

Reaction score

Check the computer settings for outgoing email

I've tried all the settings w/ my decktop right in front of me. I have connectivity w/ the account, but the outgoing e-mail just stops and won't go through. I tried the ports listed on the desktop. The incomming on the droid is 995 - tried that with the outgoing w/ no luck

Other specific ideas?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since you verified the settings the only other suggestion I can make is to call Cox and ask them if you need to do something different to access email via a mobil device. Sorry.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The outgoing settings should be different for a mobile device. There should be something telling you about logging in to the outgoing server and maybe using a secure login because you are mobile.

If you are on a desktop connected directly to cox's network you don't need the security as you are already connect through their service. But your phone is using vzws network to get to the server.

Sent from my rooted A855.

OP
D

djandj

Reaction score
The outgoing settings should be different for a mobile device. There should be something telling you about logging in to the outgoing server and maybe using a secure login because you are mobile.

If you are on a desktop connected directly to cox's network you don't need the security as you are already connect through their service. But your phone is using vzws network to get to the server.

Ok sounds promising, however, I called Cox, and they said they can't guarantee their e-mail working w/ any particular phone, and Verizon said they know of a problem w/ cox e-mails and they can't help either. Does ANYONE out there use Cox business for their e-mails?

faapilot

Reaction score
OK...for COX Customers, I am one too.
I have an X and had the same issues you all are.
I called their tech support and got a GREAT gal who gave me the port settings. Here they are:
1. Go to Settings
2. Go to Accounts
3. Pick your Cox account
4. there are 4 areas, the first one is GENERAL; your username, blah, blah, enter accordingly
- second one is INCOMING; should be pop.west.cox.net (west for me in CA) and the incoming port is 995
- third is OUTGOING; should be smtp.west.cox.net; outgoing port is 465
- last one is OTHER

Hope this helps

OP
D

djandj

Reaction score
OK...for COX Customers, I am one too.
I have an X and had the same issues you all are.
I called their tech support and got a GREAT gal who gave me the port settings. Here they are:
1. Go to Settings
2. Go to Accounts
3. Pick your Cox account
4. there are 4 areas, the first one is GENERAL; your username, blah, blah, enter accordingly
- second one is INCOMING; should be pop.west.cox.net (west for me in CA) and the incoming port is 995
- third is OUTGOING; should be smtp.west.cox.net; outgoing port is 465
- last one is OTHER

Hope this helps

Good god man! you've done it!! Thank you!. You managed what the corporate giants at both Cox AND Verizon could not do. FAA - I owe you one. PM me if I can be of assistance out here in OC. Cal.

One stupid port # is all I needed. (good grief) how hard would that have been for Cox or Verizon to tell me

faapilot

Reaction score
DJANDJ...
Glad it helped and glad to be of service...LOL
In South OC too....
Be Safe and have a great Holiday.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man. Im good. Dancedroid

droidlife4me

Reaction score
I have a Droid X with the following settings that allow me to send and receive my COX email:

General Settings
Account name: COX
Email address: Entire address- [email protected]

Incoming Server
Server: pop.west.cox.net
Port: 110
Username: name only, WITHOUT @cox.net
"Use secure connection" and "Verify Certificate" are NOT checked

Outgoing Server
Server: smtp.west.cox.net
Port: 587
Username: Entire address- [email protected]
"Use secure connection" and "Verify Certificate" are NOT checked

I read on the Cox site that Android phones need to use a secure connection to access email. Not the case on my Droid x. Hope this helps!