Problem setting a ringtone

jfrost1920

Reaction score
Okay, When you go to set a ringtone, and you have other ringtone apps like Zedge or other, the phone asks you which do I want to choose from; android system or zedge. Then below that there is a box you can check for the phone to do that from then on. That way you don't have to choose every time. Well I didn't mean to and I checked that box. Now I cant set different ringtones the way I used to. It will only bring up the android system ringtones. I can work around it and open the actual app so I can change tones, but if I want to set a different tone for different people etc, I want that box to come up and ask me which program to use. It also remembers my choice for alarms and notifications, so i only get android system options instead of the ones I have downloaded. I've uninstalled and reinstalled apps but cant get that dang box to come back and ask me to choose which app to choose tones from! Is there a way to make the system forget my choice? Thanks for any help!

lcole

Reaction score
I have some what a similar problem. I selected the song I wanted to us as my personal ringtone, I set it up according to instructions, but continue to get the old telephone ring. I went to:
1. Settings
2. Sound & Display
3. Selected Music (made my my choice of song)
If I check the “use by default for this action” block it states: Clear default in Home Setting, Applications, Manage Applications. Once I get to the location, it doesn’t tell me what else to do. Can someone provide me the correct information on setting up a music ringtone?

deftdrummer

Reaction score
This is a problem between the os interaction and the app. I've dealt with this many times and unfortunately the option is to uninstall Zedge. Fortunately you can sync favorite ringtones in the app so not that big of a deal.

Also the latest version of Zedge seems to have a "factory ringtones" option at the bottom when you are assigning tones through Zedge. That is a way the app attempts to remade this problem but it doesn't seem to work so well.

*Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that for the future I found its best to just leave the checkbox unslected and choose where you want to grab tones from. Then there's the completely side issue of apps like Ringdroid asking you if you want to create the new sound as a "ringtone" or "alert tone." I understand the difference, but what if you want it to work with both! Confusing.

deftdrummer

Reaction score
Thanks, but that probably doesn't help the OP much to know you are having such an awesome experience.