Pretty Big Google Music Bug

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Google Music will stream your music, and let you mark music as available offline, so it will download it to your device. I have unlimited data, so I wanted to test how much data I can use in a month, so I allowed it to sync some music over 4G.

If you click on a song and make that available offline, it works fine.

If you click on an album and make it available offline, that works fine, too.

If you click on an artist, things don't work like you'd expect. You would think that all songs by that artist would get synced. Instead, what it does is grabs the Album name off every song by that artist, then syncs all the albums. You'd think that would be ok - but Google Music doesn't handle missing ID3 tags very well. If you have even a single song without an Album tag, it will come up as the album "Unknown Album". With me so far? Problem is, there's no special treatment for that album name. If you tell Google Music to download an artist that has even ONE song that has no album listed, it will download EVERY song by EVERY artist that has no album listed.

Good thing I'm on the unlimited plan, still. There is no way to cancel a download, or remove it from the download queue, You just have to let it download, then delete it. I could see a hypothetical situation where somebody on a tiered data plan (and not near wifi) really wants a local copy of the music from one artist. Say, the night before they are flying somewhere and plan to use their phone as an mp3 player on the plane. They figure "I only have like 5 songs by that artist, I'm sure that will be fine". They tick the box and hit the hay. They later discover that it downloaded a few gigs of random music.

My major gripe with Google in general is that there is ZERO customer support. There is no place to report bugs, make suggestions, or receive support. I won't bother trying to report this to them, but I thought I'd warn people here just in case.

ænyoc

Reaction score
Then I believe you want this: https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!categories/apps

It's an online forum that has google employees combing it to give advice and get wind of app problems.

"Google employees, known as 'Google Apps Advisors' will be popping in to help answer questions, share tips, and post announcements.
Power Posters
are volunteers who use and love Google Apps, and they donate their free time to help make our community a great place."

It's already been reported here: https://groups.google.com/a/googlep...chin/apps/music/apps/anF6TeWBrJ0/U_7KCgQ3UCkJ

OP
S

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Then I believe you want this: https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!categories/apps

It's an online forum that has google employees combing it to give advice and get wind of app problems.

"Google employees, known as 'Google Apps Advisors' will be popping in to help answer questions, share tips, and post announcements.

Power Posters
are volunteers who use and love Google Apps, and they donate their free time to help make our community a great place."

It's already been reported here: https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!searchin/apps/music/apps/anF6TeWBrJ0/U_7KCgQ3UCkJ

Yeah, I've made the mistake of using those forums before. I wouldn't use the word "reported" to describe it, as postings in those forums don't get reported to anyone but other frustrated users. Posting it on a forum like this one will actually get a much higher caliber of readership. They claim that Google Employees visit the forums to help, but they really don't. The few times I've seen Google Employees step in, it's to say "This is the wrong forum for that app" or something similarly unhelpful.

The bug with the Google Voice app, for example, where it was not playing voicemails longer than the screen timeout persisted for months, because there was no way to actually report it to the Googlers that wrote it. I reported it in an Android bug report section, and a Google employee stepped in to tell me that Voice wasn't part of AOSP. Instead of directing me to where to actually report the bug, they just told me "not here". And then when they did finally "fix" the bug, they just made it so that the screen didn't turn off, which is a separate problem if you are planning on holding your phone up to your ear to listen to a voicemail.

Threads in those forums either get zero responses, or hundreds to thousands of "I'm having that issue, too, why isn't Google paying any attention to this?". Sometimes you get "lucky" and you get somebody that just spends time on forums answering other people's questions like they are leveling up in an RPG. (Think Yahoo Answers quality). They don't give correct or well-thought-out answers - just answers, usually in for form of links to the relevant FAQ without reading the FAQ to see if it even contains the answer to the question that was asked. Perhaps that works well for the "HOW DO I READ MAI EMAILS?" kind of questions that I'm sure get posted, but real questions and bug reports just get swept under the rug.

Edit to add: Here's an example of the type of "support" you get in those public help forums. I'm not particularly proud that I fed the troll: https://www.google.com/support/foru...5e&hl=en&fid=5c44bdd2c177785e0004b46809d342cc

Anyway, I didn't mean for this to devolve into an anti-google rant, I probably shouldn't have added that anecdote. I just wanted to share what I found with people that might want to know about the problem / be amused by the interesting corner case of software design. I was also hoping it would spark some discussion on "Who is responsible when an app malfunctions and forces you over your data tier by a huge margin?"

Last edited:

coupon

Reaction score
Another bug I've been having is for long music mixes, 30 minutes+, the song will start at 0:00 but in reality of the song its really starting minutes in. I've tried resynching, deleting the file and reuploading, but theres no way to reset this.

OP
S

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I posted the bug to my Google+ and caught the attention of some friends that work at Google, ended up here:

Contacting Support - Android Market Help

There *IS* actually support and bug reports. Phone support, even! The bug already got reported, but maybe this is a good step for Google.

I'm sure this level of support has a lot to do with the fact that Google Music is now a store, so they have a financial obligation - but I hope their other projects start getting this kind of attention, too!

kudo

Reaction score
necro but seems this hasn't been fixed yet, just got the problem today. Seems less of a bug and more the case of lazy devs.