Pressure sensitive home button issue

sunking101

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I bought my Note 8 brand new less than three weeks ago and I am noticing a fault with the home button. I don't use the always on display so when I go to use my device the screen is 100% off. I force press the virtual home button and the phone jumps to life....although in a faulty kind of way. The haptic feedback is random and the force required to press the button is random. Sometimes the screen turns on and there is a lag until the vibration feedback. It isn't a consistent button at all when the screen is off and I'm wondering if this is a hardware fault? I'm running the latest update.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Welcome to the Forum sunking101 . It kind of sounds like a hardware issue to me, but I'm not very familiar with the Note 8 so I'm not 100% sure. We do have quite a few Note 8 owners here, and a large group of Samsung fans & experts. Hopefully one of them can offer some additional information.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
not sure how you see the home button if the screen is off. when my screen is off, I just press the power button. it will turn the screen on. if it was shutdown long enough where I have to use fingerprint, I just turn the screen on using the fingerprint scanner and log in at the same time. unless it was remapped, long press on the home button opens google assistant.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mine does not do what you are describing at all. Hard press on the home button and there's no lag. Can't say that I've ever noticed a delay in the haptic feedback either.

not sure how you see the home button if the screen is off. when my screen is off, I just press the power button.

My home button is illuminated, so I can see it. I do use AOD though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
actually it does work as I describe. all note 8 works that way though you do have to set up the fingerprint scan. You do have a samsung note 8? there is another note 8 from another company.

in addition, if you see the lighted home button, it means the screen is ON not off as you originally stated. what must be happening is when you are pressing the home button, you are moving your finger which opens the home screen or where you can type your key or password. you can slide your finger to open that screen.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
This screen is off, with the AOD on, and the home button is lit.
48086c881b4bdcc050312a9efb741689.jpg

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
when you say the screen is off, there is absolutely nothing on it. that screen is on. you just slide your finger across that screen to get to your home screen or use the fingerprint scan.

Last edited:
OP
S

sunking101

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Regardless, even from the Always On screen my home button is temperamental. It works 100% fine when the screen is on.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
when you say the screen is off, there is absolutely nothing on it. that screen is on. you just slide your finger across that screen to get to your home screen or use the fingerprint scan.
Not so. From the locked screen in the picture with AOD on, it requires either;
1)Fingerprint scan
2)Press power button
3)Hard press the home button
4)Double tap one of the lock screen notifications.
Fingerprint scan or hard press of the home button brings me to my home screen.
Power button or double tapping a notification icon takes me to a screen that requires a swipe.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Not so. From the locked screen in the picture with AOD on, it requires either;
1)Fingerprint scan
2)Press power button
3)Hard press the home button
4)Double tap one of the lock screen notifications.
Fingerprint scan or hard press of the home button brings me to my home screen.
Power button or double tapping a notification icon takes me to a screen that requires a swipe.

you missed the point of my post. I tend to leave out information that is not relevant to the original question and when digging for info as to what the real problem is. Things can get confusing when giving too much info.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Regardless, even from the Always On screen my home button is temperamental. It works 100% fine when the screen is on.

you gotta remember that home button does two things. it opens home and it starts google assistant and no telling what else it can do. it can get confused or as you say, temperamental.

based on what you said to this point. I don't see anything wrong with the button. maybe someone else here may have had similar experiences. or open home using one of the many other methods.

OP
S

sunking101

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
...anyway. After a restart this problem went away for a few hours but is now back again. I'm thinking this is a hardware fault now but why would the button work fine when the screen is on (I mean a full depress)?
I still have time to exchange my device.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If a restart fixed it, I wouldn't get too worried about it personally. That's just my opinion of course. I try to restart my phone once a week or so, just for the heck of it. Helps to blowout the cobwebs and maybe clear out weird quitks like your button issue.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
S

sunking101

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Mine works fine for double taps of the home button within the AOD and for long presses when the screen is on. It is when the screen is fully off that the home button becomes temperamental. When it is too dark for the AOD to illuminate, or when the AOD is switched off and I press where the home button should be to wake the device....they're the scenarios when my pressure sensitive home button plays up. It should perform like a mechanical home button and wake the screen whether AOD is on or not, but 3 or 4 times out of 10 it plays up. It will still wake my device but it takes a harder/longer press, the press might not register at all, or the haptoc feedback will lag. The button becomes inconsistent and frustrating to use. So many people use the fingerprint sensor to unlock, the physical power button to wake the device or they're always in a well lit room so can double tap from the AOD that they won't come across this fault even if they have it.