Preparations for Bionic OTAs for root users

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
erfoster said:
That might be what it comes down to--I'm trying to restore all the bloatware, but a few programs don't want to be restored. However, I searched fxz and was told it was too short to search for....can you point me in the right direction?

Go to the bionic general discussions an sticked is my step by step thread to fxz, root an some cool hacks the thread is labeled "5.5.5.893 fxz 901 902 compatible update"

zebo51

Reaction score
Hello everyone there has been confusion on what the proper steps are to to retain root an avoid update failure an i have some guidelines so clear up that confusion.

GB OTAs

Retaining Root.

1. Download an install VooDoo OTA root keeper (if u havent installed it already)

2. Select create backup.

3. Download the OTA (DO NOT INSTALL).

4. Open VooDoo OTA root keeper an select temp unroot.

5. Install update an allow phone to reboot.

6. After phone reboots open Voodoo OTA root keeper an select restore root.

I did the above and my update went just fine. I can't recall the root method I used though, but I did it back on version .902. If there is a way to tell, please show me and I can check.

Before update my setup was the following. Looking at Superuser it shows I have version 3.0.7(41). I had safestrap installed. I had titanium backup and had what I considered bloatware frozen before the update. My OTA update was already downloaded though before I installed VooDoo, not that I think that really mattered. I just kept saying no to the update since I saw a lot of posts on failures of rooted phones.

zebo51

Reaction score
ahhh I think I spoke too soon. I can't get into my contacts. Well, I can get in, but then if I try and look at one/open one I get

The application Contacts Storage (process com.motorola.contacts) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

EDIT: Nevermind, just unfroze all my apps and contacts are now opening. Not sure which one it was as I just did them all at once. Now I will re-freeze them a few at a time.

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I haven't been able to properly OTA update since the first time I went off the update path with .893..... I'm not able to update to .905; I keep getting an update failure. I'm stock rooted, nothing frozen, nothing removed. Anyone else having issues?

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lakilaulea said:
I haven't been able to properly OTA update since the first time I went off the update path with .893..... I'm not able to update to .905; I keep getting an update failure. I'm stock rooted, nothing frozen, nothing removed. Anyone else having issues?

Try fxzing it so u get all the that leaked update crap gone just in case go to the bionic general discussions forum an at the top stickied is a thread called 5.5.5.893 fxz 901 compatible an 902 update follow the instructions u will lose ur apps an stuff but ur internal storage doesnt get wiped so back ups are safe

bparent

Reaction score
.905 Stock build.prop needed for OTA ICS Bionic Update

I keep getting an assert failed: build.prop. Does anyone know where I can find, or can anyone send me a stock.905 build.prop. I didn't change my build.prop but evidentally some program did. What programs do this? Thanks.

Hello everyone there has been confusion on what the proper steps are to to retain root an avoid update failure an i have some guidelines so clear up that confusion.

GB OTAs

Retaining Root.

1. Download an install VooDoo OTA root keeper (if u havent installed it already)

2. Select create backup.

Avoiding Install Failure

1. If safe strapped disable safe system an boot into stock rom. If boot strapped restore phone back to stock via backup or FXZ (u do not need to uninstall safe/boot strap).

2. Make sure all bloatware is installed if u have removed any (U can leave frozen apps frozen the update will still install because the update's system check will see the frozen apps as installed an unaltered).

3. If u have altered any system files or build prop files u must return them to stock if u are unable to u must FXZ the phone back to stock.

4. If u have done any hacks (besides the Overclock, mobile hot spot, unthrottle, and dual core activations hacks) u must revert the system back to stock via backup, manual editing or FXZ method.

5. U do not need to unroot.

ICS OTAs

Retaining Root.

2. Select create backup.

Avoiding Install Failure (step 1 is only for the GB to ICS transition update)

1. If safe strapped u must FXZ back to stock because safe strap has altered the prienstall an cant be returned back to stock maunally. If boot strapped restore phone back to stock via backup an uninstall bootstrap an open root browser an go to system--> Bin--> an locate the 2 files that say logwrapper an logwapper.bin delete the file logwrapper (it should say hijack to the right of it) an rename logwrapper.bin to logwrapper or FXZ the phone back to stock.

2. For ICS updates After the Transition update if safe strapped disable safe system an boot into stock rom. If boot strapped restore phone back to stock via backup or FXZ (u do not need to uninstall safe/boot strap).

3. Make sure all bloatware is installed if u have removed any (U can leave frozen apps frozen the update will still install because the update's system check will see the frozen apps as installed an unaltered).

4. If u have altered any system files or build prop files u must return them to stock if u are unable to u must FXZ the phone back to stock.

5. If u have done any hacks (besides the Overclock, mobile hot spot, unthrottle, and dual core activations hacks) u must revert the system back to stock via backup, manual editing or FXZ method.

6. U do not need to unroot.