Please oh please Droid928!

SayMYnamE

Reaction score
I'm glad that this dev created a top-notch and absolutely the best theme for the Droid X, but I am a little upset that they only way we can get this theme is in a extremely blurred form.

This theme has been out for quite some time now, yet you have not made versions available for the most popular ROMS of the Droid X as has been done for the other phones and their most popular ROMS.

I and many other people would be extremely happy is you could create a deblurred version for those of us using deblurred ROMS such as Rubix Focused and Tranquility.

Droid928, could you please provide a blur-free version of the Black Glass X theme for those of us who absolutely do not want any blur on our devices?

Thank you very much sir! :)

It wouldn't be that hard. I would be content with just your notification bar, keyboard and phone dialer by themselves. I do enjoy the custom themed apps such as Google Maps as well!

Reaction score
I believe if your phone is rooted, you can remove the blur from the rom/theme without a problem. just use root explorer :)

OP
S

SayMYnamE

Reaction score
There is more to it than just removing a couple applications. This could literally save thousands of hours by literally only 15-20 minutes of creating a non-blur version of BGX.

If Droid928 created this, it would be a literal life-saver to many many fans of his work. It was just a suggestion from an admirer of his work.

hrdnhvy

Reaction score
Ok this is a term i have not yet heard about...nob question? what the heck is "blur" & how doez it affect a rom?

Sniper_5

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they are referring to motorola's overlay of Android called MOTOBLUR. Its a custom user interface they tie into android so they can include custom features, widgets etc.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I'm glad that this dev created a top-notch and absolutely the best theme for the Droid X, but I am a little upset that they only way we can get this theme is in a extremely blurred form.

This theme has been out for quite some time now, yet you have not made versions available for the most popular ROMS of the Droid X as has been done for the other phones and their most popular ROMS.

I and many other people would be extremely happy is you could create a deblurred version for those of us using deblurred ROMS such as Rubix Focused and Tranquility.

Droid928, could you please provide a blur-free version of the Black Glass X theme for those of us who absolutely do not want any blur on our devices?

Thank you very much sir! :)

It wouldn't be that hard. I would be content with just your notification bar, keyboard and phone dialer by themselves. I do enjoy the custom themed apps such as Google Maps as well!

Thanks for you compliments!

Concerning a "deBlurred" Theme...well to be blunt, don't hold your breath for that.

Quite frankly I don't belive in Roms like that. Having been in the Droid world since day one (November 09, when Droids became self aware), it is my personal opinion that a Custom ROM should ADD features and options for the users..NOT take away options. For me I prefer to make my own decisions of what apps I want to use, and not let anyone else dictate those options to me...Especailly when it is obvious that some people are just stripping things off of the DX/D2 without even using the phone for a while and understanding how the stock (Blur) apps work. To me, just stripping off Blur, or whatever, just to be stripping it off..does not a custom Rom make!

I feel this partially stems from being brain washed by the Droid 1's limited internal memory. It only has 256megs total vs the Droid X 8 gigs of internal memory (although not all available to the system area). This "stripping" is just not as important on a DX, it's a Big Dog with more advanced technology and can handle way MORE than Stock, less is just a waste of it's impressive power and an excercise in futility, or at best a waste of time/resourses.

Plus a lot, if not most of the Blur apps are far superior than the vanilla Android versions. Trust me, very few are (were) as hard core vanilla Android as me for almost the last year, and even before my DX arrived I already had plans to "DeBlur" it right out of the box...but I started using it..then a week or so later of just using it...I thought, well some of this is not so bad...another week or so and I start to understand it even more...and a lot of this stuff is way better than stock Android. Don't get me wrong some of it I don't like, but I like more of it now than the small parts I don't like.

Heck, just one small example... I have even deleted the almighty Gmail app from my DX and enjoy having ALL of my 5 email accounts (including my Gmail account), Twitter, and my Texts all in in easy to use and feature packed messaging app and widget. I can now see if I have any message(s) at a glance at the widget, tap it, swipe thru all of my messages for ALL of my accounts (react to any I need to with a single tap), without even opening ONE app, much less 3, 4 or even more to do the same thing and then have to open each message individually to see what they are about. If I have 20 e-mails in Gmail, I have to open each one to see the message, and that is just one account... with the Blur Messaging widget I just swipe thru ALL them in ALL accounts in the widget popup. Don't know about you,.but that doesn't sound like something I want a "Custom Rom" to remove from my phone. Heck, ever look at the e-mail compose screen, it has as many options for fonts, colors, styles etc, as most PC based email programs... is that a bad thing? The Contacts, and olther features of Blur are just as impressive IF you actually try them out and understand them.

Also Blur is not so entwined and doesn't take over the "Android experinece" like HTC's sense does. Sense is just plain invasive to the whole system, Blur is not. IMHO, it just refines some of the Normal Android apps. To me it still feels like "Normal Android"...just enhanced. With HTC you either love it hate it, personally I hate it...and yes I have used it a lot, my wife has/had an Eris since Novemember also (she now uses my old Droid 1, and the Eris is collecting dust) .. and I have an Incredilble here that hasn't even been turned on in months, so it wasn't just the Eris', well...shortcomings. I only bring up HTC Sense becasue I feel it has played a major part in the pre-predjudice towards the current Blur. OK, the earlier MotoBlur version did't help either, forgot the phones name??, think Superbowl Bathtub :)

The other issue is there appears to be no ryhme or reason, i.e "standard" of which Blur apps are removed and from what I have seen it varies from Custom Rom to another. This alone makes it impossible for me to make one "deBlurred" version that could make so you still wouldn't have to delete some apks...

The only common sense thing for me to do as a Themer is to make the Stock Version with ALL the Blur/Stock apps. Then you can delete which ever ones you want. To be honest, if you are advanced enough to know 100% for sure you don't want Blur and or other apps on your phone, then you should certainly know how to delete the apps you don't want.

This deleting of apks only a takes a few minutes. Me on the other hand making 5, 6, 7, or more "deBlurred" Themes AND keeping up with the updates changes of each would take an almost unlimited mount of my free time. AND takes away from keeping up with support, Themes for real updates for all the Droid, and creating any new Themes I want to...heck, I have an all new one I am dying to get done, something totally new never done before!!

Keep in mind the Droid X is still in it's infancy as far as Custom Roms go, and IMHO until the Bootloader is cracked, I don't even see the purpose. As I said, just deleting a bunch of apks/features from a stock ROM and calling it a Custom ROM....well.. nevermind.

Just to give you some back history, when I first starting Theming for the original Droid, I ONLY made themes for the Stock ROMs for many months (mainly did it because no one else was doing it for us hard core "Stockers"),...until I saw Custom Roms mature for it and started actually adding features, and in my humble opinion, becoming better than the Stock Roms...then and only then did I start making Themes for certain Droid 1 Custom ROMs.

Don't expect any different tactic from me with the DX/D2. I don't mean to come across in the wrong way, but since I use a lot (if not all sometimes) of my free time to create Themes for everyone for free...I reserve the right to make those type decisions based on my experiance and observations. It's nothing personal or a reflection towards anyone, just my opinion of how I am going to use the precious free time in my life :) Plus, believe or not, I actually have a real job, I own an automotive performance company serving my customers worldwide...and I have a wife, a dog, and cats (well nevermind the dang cats)..and yes even a life (sometimes). :icon_eek:

For now, I am having enough problems keeping up with 10 or so Themes (and their updates) for the D1, 2 (soon to be 3) for the D2, the 3 or more for the DX, all the Back to Stock zips and the current DeOdexEERR Theme (with more coming for D2/D1), plus trying my best support all of those and spend time replying to posts like this......there is only so much one guy can do.....

OTOH, if my Themes only consisted of 10 or so apks it might be different.. but when ya Theme 80 apks for a Theme and do your best to provide a uniform Themed experiance across the whole phone's system for the user... it ain't so easy or quick to do this with every "Rom Flavor of the week" (or day). I try to keep my eye on all of them...and when I start to see some "stability/maturity" in DX Custom Roms that appear to have "some legs", I will consider making Themes for them.

So, when you say it would be easier if I.... made all the various Themes for various beBlurred versions, create the update zips, spend time testing each one. uploading and creating links on my website, typing out and creating new Threads here to announce/suipport them, and then answer all the ensuing questions in threads and PMs and helping those with issues with them (typically related to flashing the wrong Theme on the wrong ROM..grrrr), ..AND then keeping up with all the changes and revisions of each of these Roms....compared to you or anyone else spending 5 minutes (or less) to delete the apks you don't want???

Your kiddding RIGHT????? :) :)

Trust me, it always looks easier from the outside looking in.......:)

kdkinc

Reaction score
"Concerning a "beBlurred" Theme...well to be blunt, don't hold your breath for that."

Excellent and VERY informative rant (in a nice way):)

Thank You
:icon_eek::icon_eek:

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
"Concerning a "deBlurred" Theme...well to be blunt, don't hold your breath for that."

Excellent and VERY informative rant (in a nice way):)

Thank You

Thanks, BTW not meant as a "rant", just thought it might be better to explain my thought process on the subject instead of just typing the one line you quoted, I didn't want to appear to be rude :)

But, once I start typing (which I hate) it sort of takes on a life of it's own sometimes. :icon_eek:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Rooted droid 2 user here. Blur is getting a bad rap. I like the fact that I can respond to messages in the widget and not have to open the app. Seriously you do not need a Rom that takes away stuff. D1 roms added things while d2 and dx roms are removing. I can understand wanting to get rid of all the bloat apps u dont use.
To get a mix of stock feel I use ADW or LPP. I also freeze all the bloat apps and stuff I do not use. The reason I freeze it because if later on if I change my mind I dont have to try to find an apk, and sbf, or flash a backup. Besides LPP and a lot of apps are copying and putting their spin on blur and it is not anywhere near as good IMO (except for the calendar widget).
To each his own, but I would think that as much time as it takes to get a theme together it is time consuming to keep up with every rom the people put out.

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
Quote :
I actually have a real job, I own an automotive performance company serving my customers worldwide.---
What is your company , I do GM performance .
What products ?

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree with 928Droid and pc747 on this issue.

First, I believe it all about preference when it comes to Blur or no Blur. To each his own, right? After using it for months now, Blur just works for me. And when ever I want a change from look and performance I throw something simple like ADW on. Where I can change screen speed (less bouncing) and mess with things like dock settings. Just to name a few. And no I'm not getting paid for this;)

Second, Titanium BU is the best. I, like many others, don't like being told what should be on their phone and what they have to advertise. Example: Blockbuster, Amazon, City ID and many others. I've rented from Blockbuster and shop from Amazon but I don't want their bloat on my phone.

Third and def. not last, 928 ROCKS at what he does! His theme is by far the best I've used and seen. Don't get me wrong there are many talented people out there doing this, but 928 is very complete in what he does. That being said, there is no need for change and keep up the good work.

ColdSteele

Reaction score
is it as simple to "de-bloat" the theme as it seems? just unzip it... delete the .apk files not in the ROM i'm using, re-zip and install?

kdkinc

Reaction score
is it as simple to "de-bloat" the theme as it seems? just unzip it... delete the .apk files not in the ROM i'm using, re-zip and install?

I would say no , Some apk's control other apk's.

A "theme" is not a "rom" sometimes the line gets real blurry .
I read else where,

a "Theme is the paint ,a Rom is the engine, Android is the Chassis " (author I can't remember, sorry)