PlayOn App For Android Coming Very Soon

harrellj

Reaction score
Perhaps you should consider the fact that other people actually LEAVE their homes, but may still want to watch hulu or netflix.

That would be pretty neat if PlayOn does that, but I don't think it does, which, again, takes us back to watching Oprah in the shower. I see the potential, but as is pretty worthless. And Hulu and Netflix are coming to Android soon enough.

Yeah, Hulu doesn't work on the PS3 so cool app for that, but as an app for my Android smartphone I say it's worthless.

For you it may be worthless, but my job involves some downtime where I could watch something on Hulu or Netflix, but both are blocked where I work. Yes, having it on a phone screen is really small, but tablets are literally right around the corner, and being able to watch a movie in something as small as a tablet is rather ideal. Plus, we have a Tivo at home and I can convert those files to be standard video files, which again, would be usable via PlayOn to watch tv.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
For you it may be worthless, but my job involves some downtime where I could watch something on Hulu or Netflix, but both are blocked where I work. Yes, having it on a phone screen is really small, but tablets are literally right around the corner, and being able to watch a movie in something as small as a tablet is rather ideal. Plus, we have a Tivo at home and I can convert those files to be standard video files, which again, would be usable via PlayOn to watch tv.

Again, I don't understand why you would stream this from your computer to a smaller screen. And if they block those sites at work, I can't imagine you can load their software on your work computer (and be logged into their site) and I'd recommend against it even if you can.

If your IT truly doesn't care, I'd say the better route for you is a Slingbox. Netflix is coming to the newer phones (and presumably tablets) and Hulu Plus is also in the works. I simple can't see why anyone would shell the money out for this for their phone.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score

Again, I don't understand why you would stream this from your computer to a smaller screen. And if they block those sites at work, I can't imagine you can load their software on your work computer (and be logged into their site) and I'd recommend against it even if you can.

If your IT truly doesn't care, I'd say the better route for you is a Slingbox. Netflix is coming to the newer phones (and presumably tablets) and Hulu Plus is also in the works. I simple can't see why anyone would shell the money out for this for their phone.

PlayOn can stream video using 3G from your home PC to your phone. That means you don't need to install software on your work computer. You can watch videos anywhere you have a 3G connection on your phone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
PlayOn can stream video using 3G from your home PC to your phone. That means you don't need to install software on your work computer. You can watch videos anywhere you have a 3G connection on your phone.

Fair enough. That was my question. It wasn't clear to me it could do that.

born2golf

Reaction score

Fair enough. That was my question. It wasn't clear to me it could do that.

Why was that still a question? At least 4 people including myself stated this was tested AND working over the past week, in this very thread.

RIF - Reading is Fundamental. Anyone else remember that from the early 80s?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Why was that still a question? At least 4 people including myself stated this was tested AND working over the past week, in this very thread.

RIF - Reading is Fundamental. Anyone else remember that from the early 80s?

Oh my sincerest, deepest most heartfelt apologies. I'm the first and only person ever to commit the mortal sin of not reading every post in its entirety in a thread before posing a question.

born2golf

Reaction score
Your sin was not failing to read the thread. Your sin was inserting your 2 cents when you were clearly uninformed about the actual subject matter. That is how misinformation is propagated and is not helpful to anyone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Your sin was not failing to read the thread. Your sin was inserting your 2 cents when you were clearly uninformed about the actual subject matter. That is how misinformation is propagated and is not helpful to anyone.

Actually, if you took your own advice and read my posts you'll see that I asked the question several times. I even went to the website and read a blog post on it before I asked. The first line of my first post is "could someone explain to me why I would want this?" And, in fact, I thanked another poster for clarifying before you jumped in with the internet tough guy act.

Far be it from me to expect a simple explanation. I thought message boards were a place to ask questions and offer opinions. I now know how it works and still think it's a waste.

superglen99

Reaction score
I can't get m.play.tv to recognize my 2 pcs at home when I log in on my phone. I have the software installed on both and even though they are on and the software is running and the "enable mobile" box is checked they don't show up. I get a message saying moble setup failed and I don't know how to to it manually.

born2golf

Reaction score

Actually, if you took your own advice and read my posts you'll see that I asked the question several times. I even went to the website and read a blog post on it before I asked. The first line of my first post is "could someone explain to me why I would want this?" And, in fact, I thanked another poster for clarifying before you jumped in with the internet tough guy act.

Far be it from me to expect a simple explanation. I thought message boards were a place to ask questions and offer opinions. I now know how it works and still think it's a waste.

I took the time to explain what it does. You are the one that made assumptions that it doesn't work over the 3g network, and you were wrong.

Besides that, you are missing the point entirely. I actually agree with you that this is not worth the price JUST to get these video streams on an android. What you are missing is that this is a great solution for getting internet video to your TV, and in IMHO is worth the money to do so. The fact that it now also streams to a phone is a great SIDE BENEFIT.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
so after a few days of playing with this. i give it a thumbs up but unfortunate for me it doesnt make any sense for me to purchase the lic because:

1) my computer cant handle the the application being on. my computer crawl to halt. its a P4 3Ghz 1gig of ram. to keep this i have to get a new computer. (not going to happen =/)
2) I dont have a htpc, ps3,xbox,xbox360. I dont even have a flat screen tv. CRT rules! ;) so to keep this i would have to buy one of those. (not gonna to happen)
3) I dont watch tv/movies that much. thats why i dont have the above stuff. i probably watch 6 hrs a week of tv (most of it is ni hao kai lan, yo gaba gaba, sesame street etc..) LOL

But for people who arent in the same boat as me and have all of those system then i think is great if you are able to cut the 'cable, satelite' cord and save yourself some $$. i was testing this on a D1 oced 1ghz running gimpsource. wifi works great. a little initial buffering but smooth after that. 3g is good buffering is longer then wifi but it plays well after all the buffering. i tested streaming my media,netflix,tv.com. so hope that helps those who are apprehensive but you have a 14 days trial so nothing to lose really.

cnmsales

Reaction score
FYI to everyone. If you install Safari on your laptop then install flash for safari. Then add Android 2.2 to the User Agent String you can use m.playon.tv on your freakin laptop. Over any wifi.