PhoneMyPC and virus scanners

mitchb2

Reaction score
I know that any kind of VNC-type program is seen as malicious by virus scanners. So when I connect my Droid to my PC, Avira Antivir and MS Security Essentials go crazy.

I can live (almost) with the constant notifications, but I've had problems in the past with MSE deleting "threats" even after I told it to leave it alone.

Also, no matter how many times I check the box in Avira that says "Do this every time" it ignores me and keeps popping up.

Oh crap, as I type this it's popping up now, and my phone isn't connected !

Reaction score
Most security software at least notices remote-control apps because they listen for network connections. VNC is a great example of this.

PhoneMyPC goes one step farther: it actively connects out to our servers, and whats more, it does this on a high-numbered port (49200), which is in a range of ports that many trojans use as well (>40000).

The good news is that the next release of PhoneMyPC should be seen as less threatening by those other programs, because:
1) It runs as LocalSystem, so cannot simply be a trojan that you downloaded from the internet (you MUST be an admin to install it)
2) It will connect out on port 443 (rather than 49200), which is seen as much more normal behavior

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
The good news is that the next release of PhoneMyPC should be seen as less threatening by those other programs

Sounds good, thanks.
I've just started studying Certified Ethical Hacking, so this stuff is very interesting to me.