Lookout Virus Scanner

DroidFromTheCrypt

Reaction score
Hi everyone, 1st question here: Is a virus scanner app necessary? I downloaed Lookout a few days ago, gone through quite a few scans -- and nothing has been found yet, but this Dx is still in it's infancy. I noticed that it wants to keep running, or at least announce it's presence on my status bar, even when not scanning. There are a couple of other features active on the free version -- Backup & Missing Device. The backup feature only backs up contacts, which seems redundant to other VZW apps (and the fact that gmail stores my contacts, too.) The Missing Device feature appears to be similar to the Mobile Recovery tool provided by Asurion. How frequently should I scan for virii? Will this app detect viruses as they are downloaded to the droid?

Thanks for your Help.

DFTC

droidman101

Reaction score
android=linux base
linux=no viruses
therefore, android=no viruses
its useless and antivirus apps are known to just be all around annoying

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
viruses shouldn't concern you.... malware is the only real concern... and to avoid that, just pay attention to the permissions apps are requesting.

OP
DroidFromTheCrypt

DroidFromTheCrypt

Reaction score
No viruses on Android?

That's awesome. I wonder why this ended up being one of the 5 "must-get" apps on some android site. Thanks for your help.

onmyway

Reaction score
One of those places where we have a lot of sweet t
Current Phone Model
G N 4
Verizon added it to my phone and it fixed an oddity but I agree with redundant and unnecessary. The upgrade they are pushing and scan has annoyed me to the point of uninstall. I agree with paying attention to permissions. Loading applications and unloading them due to their vulnerabilities and oddities that begin happening feels like my hobby somedays after new downloads. What helps is read comments posted on the apps. My phone was receiving way too much input from lookout therefore I really am unable to brag about it.

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1 for reading comments and for checking permissions as Martin said (+2??)! I think I'm the ONLY VZW rep that doesn't put useless apps on my customer's phones! Haha!

Verizon added it to my phone and it fixed an oddity but I agree with redundant and unnecessary. The upgrade they are pushing and scan has annoyed me to the point of uninstall. I agree with paying attention to permissions. Loading applications and unloading them due to their vulnerabilities and oddities that begin happening feels like my hobby somedays after new downloads. What helps is read comments posted on the apps. My phone was receiving way too much input from lookout therefore I really am unable to brag about it.

DroidForums junkie!