Phone wakes up to screen other than home screen

Papa_T

Reaction score
Sorry for the long title. I tested this several times after noticing it. I will set my phone to the home screen and let it time out. Afte a few more minutes to ensure that the data manager has stopped all apps, etc, I'll push the button to turn the phone back on. When I unlock the screen, I am at some random screen, not the home screen. It may be the contacts, battery information screen, or some other screen. Would could cause this, it used to always open on the home screen. I'm sure it might be hard to diagnose, but any ideas that might cause this would give me somewhere to start.

Thanks
Papa T

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Sorry for the long title. I tested this several times after noticing it. I will set my phone to the home screen and let it time out. Afte a few more minutes to ensure that the data manager has stopped all apps, etc, I'll push the button to turn the phone back on. When I unlock the screen, I am at some random screen, not the home screen. It may be the contacts, battery information screen, or some other screen. Would could cause this, it used to always open on the home screen. I'm sure it might be hard to diagnose, but any ideas that might cause this would give me somewhere to start.

Thanks
Papa T

Strange, yes...hard to diagnose, yes.

Try this...

Power down.

Then hold power button till you see the red M logo.
Release power.
Now, while waiting for the phone to boot, and BEFORE it's gotten through the Red "EYE" animation (sooner is better), press and hold both Volume up AND Volume down.

Don't let go of both Volume buttons until you see the Lock Screen.

You are now in "Safe Mode". Use the phone as you normally would and try the same steps to get it to do what you mentioned above. Note, it will look like a stock phone, no user-installed apps or widgets will pre-load, though some may appear on your home screens. The app tray will also be completely void of all user-installed apps.

If the problem can not be duplicated under this status, it's an app conflict. Reboot and start culling apps till the problem goes away. I'd start with anything that relates to home screens, launchers, etc. Then I'd move to widgets. From there, I'd just start eliminating anything I don't use at least once a week.

Good luck. ;)

OP
Papa_T

Papa_T

Reaction score
Must have been an app I downloaded. I was thinking about what was downloaded about the same time it started and remembered this on memo app. I deleted it, rebooted just clear all things out and it works fine now. I have since downloaded a different todo app and haven't had any problems. Actually like the new app better, so all worked out for the best.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Must have been an app I downloaded. I was thinking about what was downloaded about the same time it started and remembered this on memo app. I deleted it, rebooted just clear all things out and it works fine now. I have since downloaded a different todo app and haven't had any problems. Actually like the new app better, so all worked out for the best.

Glad to hear things worked out for you.

If you don't mind, please tell us all what memo app you downloaded originally that caused the issue so we can troubleshoot and possibly alert the DEV for necessary revision. Thanks! ;)