Razr screen dead?

Reaction score
hello all have't been around these parts for some time but irrelevant. My friend owns a razr non maxx or hd. just recently his screen died. literally his screen is just black. i got the idea to connect it to hdmi to help diagnose the issue. well it works but multiple touch points are being registered and even double touch points with just one finger. there is minor cracks on the screen but no physical damage that i can see. although it has been in a otter box so that might be the reason. But for the cracks to be where they are (near the right edge of the screen in a linear fashion) i don't assume would cause a screen to die completely. Not even on my galaxy nexus with a screen cracked has this happen to me. so alluding from the point is there any fix to this or could he claim manufacture defect?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
hello all have't been around these parts for some time but irrelevant. My friend owns a razr non maxx or hd. just recently his screen died. literally his screen is just black. i got the idea to connect it to hdmi to help diagnose the issue. well it works but multiple touch points are being registered and even double touch points with just one finger. there is minor cracks on the screen but no physical damage that i can see. although it has been in a otter box so that might be the reason. But for the cracks to be where they are (near the right edge of the screen in a linear fashion) i don't assume would cause a screen to die completely. Not even on my galaxy nexus with a screen cracked has this happen to me. so alluding from the point is there any fix to this or could he claim manufacture defect?

Claiming a manufacturer's defect is difficult, since there has to be evidence that it was defective. Also, such defects typically surface across a certain percentage of units. Proving a defect generally is up to the manufacturer as well, not that I'm saying Motorola or any other reputable manufacturer would deliberately brush aside a true defect...

The cracks you described (if they are in the display glass), are quite capable of causing a full screen failure since the electrical connections that communicate with the display and excite the pixels run along multiple edges in a matrix or criss/cross pattern (hence the term LED Matrix). The point where the horizontal and vertical connections meet are where the LEDs that light the pixels reside. Cracks that run the length and/or parallel to an edge would essentially sever all the electrical connections along that edge, preventing the electricity from traveling across to the intersections and therefore none of the pixels that intersect with those connections would light.

Also, cracks can cause electrical current to "jump" across nearby connections, which could cause the multiple touch-points being registered as you describe. This would of course not be cracks in the display, but instead in the digitizer.

Unfortunately cracks like you describe are most often attributed to undue stress or flex at a point or points along the edge of the glass, which result in the glass giving way. These cracks can come from pressure, flex or twisting, or drops. Whatever the cause, odds are it will be deemed caused by the user.

Still, you certainly should submit it for warranty and let the manufacturer investigate and determine the cause. If they can find no obvious signs of a cause they may honor the warranty anyway.

Good luck!

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Alright thank you any idea how I could call manufacture or at least contact them or would it be through Verizon. Should be as simple as calling Motorola mobility right?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Alright thank you any idea how I could call manufacture or at least contact them or would it be through Verizon. Should be as simple as calling Motorola mobility right?

You can certainly go either way. Verizon is less likely to be sympathetic to your claim in my experience but many have had phones replaced by them for worse damage and with no questions asked. Motorola is more sympathetic, but you really need to explain in detail how careful you are with the phone and how being in the Otter Box would prevent any damage like it had apparently suffered. Either way, you're at their mercy.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

tony442

Reaction score
Hey if you can not see any physical defect with it turned off call Verizon say it just won't turn on get the refurbish one send the old one back Verizon is retarded they wont ever know when they wouldn't upgrade my bionics had 2 and a RAZR i call in 3 replacements on my RAZR and sent them a bionic each time the third time i sent them the extended battery and case i had to pay 80bucks for never said a word to me about it