Phone Storage Clogged Up

Adam McKay

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy J1 Ace
Twitter
@RealAdamMcKay
This seems like a question that's been asked before, but I have no clue what to do about it. So forgive me if this is fairly obvious ;) I've had my Samsung Galaxy J1 Ace for just over a year now, and I've had my memory card for as long as I can remember, (has to be absolute years at this point). For a while now I've noticed that my phone's memory gets filled up constantly, and I need to constantly delete things to make sure I can open my gallery, or so that my Gmail will sync.

The problem is that I have no idea where all my free space has gone. I've cleared space and cleared app caches, but my free space is absolutely miniscule.

dhiuwjodew.png

And that's all after clearing as much junk away as I can. I even went as far as to connect my phone to my laptop, and either manually delete every unwanted file, or transfer it over, but nothing really seems to work. To be honest, my music collection probably takes up a fairly big chunk, but I've accounted for that, and I should have more space than I actually do. I understand some apps almost instantly regenerate their cached data, but still. I shouldn't have 2% of my space left. Also, is it just me or does the system memory claim more space over time? I could swear it wasn't that large when I first got the phone...

On top of this, when I check my Used Space, it shows me this:

Screenshot_2017-02-13-14-43-32.png

There's no way my storage has that much space taken up. I have no videos in my storage, plus about 20 photos, so I'm not sure why it says I'm taking up 75MB. And my apps don't take much either. I have no clue why it says my downloads are 781MB either. These are my most space-heavy apps I have at the moment:

Screenshot_2017-02-13-14-54-43.png

I tried downloading anti-malware apps, but they can't seem to find anything wrong with it. Is there anything I can do to clear out whatever's hogging all my storage? Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Your phone starts with only 4GB of storage space. The system takes almost 2GB. That doesn't leave you much room.

Have you moved all apps that you can to the sd card?

75MB isn't really a lot of space for pictures to take up. 1000MB (roughly) = 1GB, so that's not the culprit. Your apps are your biggest offender after the system.

Looks to me like you might want to think about upgrading to a new phone with more onboard memory, or scale back your apps to almost nothing...

OP
Adam McKay

Adam McKay

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy J1 Ace
Twitter
@RealAdamMcKay
Your phone starts with only 4GB of storage space. The system takes almost 2GB. That doesn't leave you much room.

Have you moved all apps that you can to the sd card?

75MB isn't really a lot of space for pictures to take up. 1000MB (roughly) = 1GB, so that's not the culprit. Your apps are your biggest offender after the system.

Looks to me like you might want to think about upgrading to a new phone with more onboard memory, or scale back your apps to almost nothing...

That's what my problem is. I've gotten rid of absolutely everything possible, and scaled my apps back to almost the bare minimum, with a few exceptions. It just seems like I've been taking on extra data somewhere along the way and it's eaten up my free space without me noticing it. With me taking precautions to use as little space as possible, and getting rid of files that might take up space, it's frustrating knowing that my free space is so tiny despite it all.

Thanks for the speedy reply by the way :)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's what my problem is. I've gotten rid of absolutely everything possible, and scaled my apps back to almost the bare minimum, with a few exceptions. It just seems like I've been taking on extra data somewhere along the way and it's eaten up my free space without me noticing it. With me taking precautions to use as little space as possible, and getting rid of files that might take up space, it's frustrating knowing that my free space is so tiny despite it all.

Thanks for the speedy reply by the way :)
I just dealt with a similar situation with my mom's phone when she was visiting over Christmas. Her phone was so full, she couldn't download and install a waiting system update.

Storage space is a very important thing to consider when buying a phone. These "budget phones" are great on the wallet, but they seem to skimp out on things like storage, which is funny because it's not very expensive these days. I'd much rather have a phone with a slightly slower processor, but all the space I could want if I was buying in that tier of phone.

And you just got lucky with the speed of my reply. I just happened to sign in and check out the active topics. Yours caught my eye.

OP
Adam McKay

Adam McKay

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy J1 Ace
Twitter
@RealAdamMcKay
Looks
I just dealt with a similar situation with my mom's phone when she was visiting over Christmas. Her phone was so full, she couldn't download and install a waiting system update.

Storage space is a very important thing to consider when buying a phone. These "budget phones" are great on the wallet, but they seem to skimp out on things like storage, which is funny because it's not very expensive these days. I'd much rather have a phone with a slightly slower processor, but all the space I could want if I was buying in that tier of phone.

And you just got lucky with the speed of my reply. I just happened to sign in and check out the active topics. Yours caught my eye.

Looks like I have some serious scouring to do. Thanks for the advice. Wish a better phone could have been an option in my case, but I'll make the best with what I have :)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You made sure to disable/uninstall updates on all of the bloat apps that you don't use, right? That helped a bit with my mom's phone.

ron6400

Reaction score
Do a factory reset and then reinstall what you need. Disable auto update of apps.

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk