Solved phone not charging correctly

matt192004

Reaction score
When I plug in my phone to charge it is says use orginal charger that came with the phone I purchased this phone in June of 2015 never had this problem til a week ago I have always gotten the cables from amazon I purchased a new cable and it still says the same thing it is a USB 3.0 cable for galaxy s5 and up know it will charge fine in ultra power saving mode but off of that it chargers real slow when I can get it to charge WiFi has 2 b off and screen off to can't use it are it will lose charge my question is is the battery going bad? Are what is wrong? This problem started a week ago Sunday

Dutch7

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Just because it is a USB 3.0 cable, does not mean it can provide 2amps of juice to the phone. Double check the description to see if it is a 1amp or 2amp capable cable.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Make sure it's an actual Samsung OEM cable specifically made for the S5. There are a lot of knock offs out there. Even though it was "advertised" for your device doesn't necessarily mean it's an actual OEM cable from Samsung. It shouldn't matter if you're in power saving mode or if you're connected to Wifi, it should quick charge regardless. (if it's an actual Samsung 3.0 cable)
It sounds like you either ended up with a knock off or a faulty cable.
Good luck & let us know how you make out.

S5 tap'n

OP
M

matt192004

Reaction score
Thank you all for information I have been using non Samsung oem cables for a while know here is the information on the cable I have now and am using please let me know what I need to do buy a Samsung oem cable which I haven't used one I many months and phone was fine tIL last week r what do I need 2 do thank you sorry for long post at the end

The Cable Matters Gold-Plated SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type A to Micro-B Cable is an indispensable accessory for portable external hard drives and smartphones such as Samsung Galaxy S5, Note 3, Note 4, and Note Pro 12.2 with the common Micro-B USB 3.0 port. SuperSpeed USB 3.0 delivers 10x the data transfer rate of Hi-Speed USB 2.0 at up to 5 Gbps. The combination of gold-plated connectors, bare copper conductors, and foil & braid shielding provides superior cable performance, error-free data transmission, and fast charging speed.

Specifications
- Connector 1: USB 3.0 Micro-B Male
- Connector 2: USB 3.0 Type A Male
- Cable Rating: SuperSpeed USB 3.0 up to 5 Gbps data transfer rate
- Supports 2.4-Amp fast charging

Dutch7

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
What are you plugging the cable into? A computer? I don't think they provide 2amps. If it you are plugging it into a wall adapter, make sure it is for 2amps as well.

OP
M

matt192004

Reaction score
I am plugging it into a 3.0 galaxy s5 wall adapter I also ordered an orginal Samsung oem cable that will be here Monday if that does. Not fix it what do I do

OP
M

matt192004

Reaction score
The orginal Samsung oem cable came yesterday Friday may the 13th seemed to help it some then it started again I realized I had an extra Samsung wall plug in I changed that out and the.problem seems to have resolved itself thank you to everyone for the help

Reactions: cr6
OP
M

matt192004

Reaction score
Hi I hope everyone is doing good. My phone is back giving the original problem as described in the first post except now it will NOT charge up to 100 percent when it is being used. I can use it and If it is at 100 percent it will stay there but IF it is NOT at 100 percent it will go down and not up. It still says slow charging to charge faster please use original charge that came with the phone which I am using. here is the steps I have taken and npne of them have helped at all
1. I have tried multiple outlets in different rooms of my house and it still does the same thing.
2. I have examined the ports as best I can and nothing looks bent broken are out of place
3. I have taken the battery completely out of the phone waited a minute are 2 and put it back in and absolutely nothing works
what is causing these problems?
thank you for your help and suggestions

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
First, there should be no difference from one outlet to another in the same building with respect to performance of a wall adapter. The current coming into that building is simply divided into parallel sources of power throughout the entire building and the only things between the power source at the telephone/power pole and one outlet versus another are copper (or aluminum) wires and circuit-breakers (not much more than simple off/on switches).

Now, in order for the phone to properly recognize the charger that came with the phone as the proper fast charging adapter, the cable must make proper connection between the adapter and the phone. This means, one cable may show the adapter correctly to the phone as the fast charger adapter, but another cable without proper connections or shielding may not. Also, if there are any broken wires in the cable, either at the point where the cable enters the plug (usually with a strain relief), or anywhere along the wire, as well as any contacts broken either in the plugs or in the socket on the bottom/side/top of the phone this can prevent proper identification and functionality of the adapter and therefor cause the phone to improperly identify the fast charger as not being a fast charger. Some phones are very particular about which cables will work for fast charging and which ones won't, and in even some cases an improper cable can result in damage to the phone.

I would try different cables to see if you get any different results. I would also try the same adapter and cable on a phone that is charging normally in order to isolate the failure point.

OP
M

matt192004

Reaction score
Ok I have done research went to a friends house and it seemed to do fine I came back to my house and it started the same stuff so after some research I downloaded the free version of the galaxy charging current free version according to that with the phone powered on and in stand by mode I take it out of that and go right to the app itself it says
reference 1200ma
maximum 1800 mah
average 1800 ma

When I use the phone and have it on charge but not in stand by mode it says the following
reference 500 ma
maximum 1800 ma
average 500 ma
sometimes it is even between 400 and 450 ma in short i think there is a problem with the power current somewhere am I right are is this normal charging patterns? based on numbers above

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I've never used this app, let alone knew it even existed, so I can't help you there.
What we need to know is, what level your battery was at when you got home and noticed the lower charging levels, as opposed to what they were when you actually tested it when you got to your friends house. From what I've always understood is that quick charge doesn't charge quickly ALL the time, but only kicks in when it reaches a certain level. So you're going to see different charging levels at 85-90 percent, than you will at 20-30 percent.

S5 tap'n

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
OK, what cr6 said above is correct. I also know for sure that the rate which the phone charges not only changes based on what level of charge you already have but also "cycles" up and down almost constantly while Fast Charging. Ditch the app you downloaded and instead install Ampere - Android Apps on Google Play. Then, connect the charger and watch... It will start out testing the charging rate, then begin to display the rate of charge at that moment, as well as a low number (min), indicating the minimum rate it has charged at since it started, and will also show a high number (max), which is indicating the maximum rate it has charged since starting.

As you watch it you will see that the rate it's charging will change almost every second or so then pause for a few seconds then we'll start changing again almost every second or so and this continues on and on through the entire charging process. That way I can go anywhere from 250 milliamps all the way up to over 4,000 milliamps of power and usually ranges between 700 somewhere in the order of between 700 and about 2500 mAh.

There is almost no possibility that its charging rate will be different based upon which house you're plug into. All houses in the same geographical region are supplied from the same power grid, and so they're all receiving approximately the same voltage at the same time. The voltage determines the charge rate, and so even though you will see the current or milli amperes, mAh changing. It's the voltage that dictates how much charge and how fast the battery is taking that charge. The battery will only take as much as it can handle at a certain voltage rate, but the charging rate is measured in current or mAh.

f795897a2ec82c216550a671cbb337e4.jpg
94b844441ca2cdf0e802e4c0f69d774d.jpg
0a7b51879fa1c76b301efef9019d691c.jpg

Each time you restart it, the high and low limits reset.

0a3fa2a95af04b73410d455c6c51f408.jpg
c2c8ce2aae78bdeb290832402e8dbec0.jpg
110dcbfefec31ae36308e3305119be8b.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
M

matt192004

Reaction score
update Monday July 11 2016 went to local cell phone repair shop they said I need a new battery as mine was buldging They THOUGHT the slow charge issue was being caused by the battery being bad put new battery in came home plugged in charger same issue still slow charging it was supposed to take no more than 1 hour and 20 minutes to charge from 1 percent to 100 percent but it ended up but it ended up taking 11 almost 12 hours so I went back up there today and long story short they told me it is a problem with the phone that they can not fix I downloaded the ampere app and it has been at minimum 450 ma maximum 450 ma my question is when the battery was bad could it have damaged something in the phone dealing with the votage are power because it looks to me like the phone is not getting the proper amount of power it needs to charge fast does anyone have any ideas as to why it will not charge fast It has a new battery and I am using all orginal Samsung stuff no off brand atuff what so ever