Charging

DKunch

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the problem that you can only use the data cable that came with the GN for charging?? I upgraded from the x2, and i have a dual USB charger in my car with the data cable i used with my x2.... well with that cable it will not charge, it wont even charge using the house charger with the x2 cable. But i plug it into the GN data cable it came with and it charges right up.... has anyone else noticed this problem with their GN??

char7188

Reaction score
I'm currently using my OG charger at work, and the car charger I had for it works on the Gnex too. Not sure what's going wrong for you.

scdown

Reaction score
When you say "house charger", do you mean the Nexus wall charger, or the one that came with your X2? If it's the X2 wall charger, have you tried the Nexus charger with the X2 cable (out of curiosity)?

OP
DKunch

DKunch

Reaction score
Ive tried every combination of cable+ wall connector... and what i have found is it dont matter what wall connector i use.. .only thing that matters is the cord has to be the GN Cable... and in the car no cable that i have will actually charge it ... it says it is charging with the GN Cable.. but i take a call while im driving and when i plugged the phone in it had 55% battery... when i got off the call i had 49% but it said it was charging.... Im guessing maybe this is just a faulty device or did Samsung pull a fast one and make it so you have to use their cables.... what does everyone think

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Weird, my OG car charger works with it and I'm still using my OG's wall charger and it works. Actually only using the Nexus cable from my computer to charge/install media.

RedTarget

Reaction score
That's very peculiar. I've used a variety of cables/chargers from blackberry, moto, HTC, stock and even belkin. None have had issues. I've even used my New Trent 7000mah external battery without issues.

terigox

Reaction score
I'm also having some issues with certain cables. I have a plethora of cables from different sources and it seems like about 50% work.

Also I will note that I found out last night when the phone dies completely it won't turn back on until you plug it in (normal) but immediately after plugging in it will let you power back up. So I was like sweet! So I turned Pandora over Bluetooth and my Navigation back on WHOMP dead again. It did it twice using the car charger. Seems like it has barely enough power off of charging to let you run just the phone but not much else. I let it charge a couple of minutes then all was fine.

Figured Id mention this since the Bionic wouldn't even let you power up until 5% charge to prevent this problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Snow02

Reaction score
All Samsung phones are picky about cables. It's due to the depth of the plug. They like more shallow plugs.

terigox

Reaction score
Its definitely not length related, at least not in my case. I have a 6ft cable I got off Amazon that I use for home that works fine with the Nexus and a 1ft cable that was from some other device that doesn't work at all!

Snow02

Reaction score
Its definitely not length related, at least not in my case. I have a 6ft cable I got off Amazon that I use for home that works fine with the Nexus and a 1ft cable that was from some other device that doesn't work at all!

Obviously cable length wouldn't affect anything out to the USB spec max of about 15 feet.

terigox

Reaction score
Obviously cable length wouldn't affect anything out to the USB spec max of about 15 feet.

That's a good point though, if they are USB spec shouldn't they "all" technically work? Is there some sort of DRM or something in USB that may prevent this?

The only other thing I can think of is maybe USB 2 vs USB 1? Did they have different power requirements?

Snow02

Reaction score
That's a good point though, if they are USB spec shouldn't they "all" technically work? Is there some sort of DRM or something in USB that may prevent this?

The only other thing I can think of is maybe USB 2 vs USB 1? Did they have different power requirements?

Did you just skip over my previous post? It's the plug depth. If it's too long it doesn't make contact with the pins in the port.

lemodular

Reaction score
I don't think it's the plug depth as I have tried it on a couple of cables with the same plug depth and some will work and some wont. Don't know why though. I do believe it is a cable issue though and not a adapter issue because I can get the same cable to work on two different adapter output amperage.

sxm

Reaction score
You are using the phone and doing things which are using more power than your charger can supply.

wolstonc

Reaction score
Tbolt charger works