Battery not charging more than 5%

AuD14

Reaction score
This is a strange situation that started Saturday night. I put my phone on the charger. Woke up Sunday morning and it had discharged to about 6% and shut down shortly after. Since then it will not charge past 5%. It powers on automatically when it gets to 5% then stops recognizing that it is plugged in and charging. I have tried my original Moto wall charger and USB cable, a different USB cable and moto wall charger, 3 different car chargers and moto usb cable and 2 other USB cables and Moto USB cable plugged into PC. When turned off and plugged in green LED is lit indicating it is charging. Once it powers up it ceases to charge. I have tried turning it off and continuing to charge but at that point it is under 5% and just reboots when it gets to 5%. I have done a "battery pull" (power and volume down) and also booted into safe mode with no resolution. I haven't tried a FDR b/c I'm nervous it doesn't have enough juice to make it through. Thoughts?

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
This is a strange situation that started Saturday night. I put my phone on the charger. Woke up Sunday morning and it had discharged to about 6% and shut down shortly after. Since then it will not charge past 5%. It powers on automatically when it gets to 5% then stops recognizing that it is plugged in and charging. I have tried my original Moto wall charger and USB cable, a different USB cable and moto wall charger, 3 different car chargers and moto usb cable and 2 other USB cables and Moto USB cable plugged into PC. When turned off and plugged in green LED is lit indicating it is charging. Once it powers up it ceases to charge. I have tried turning it off and continuing to charge but at that point it is under 5% and just reboots when it gets to 5%. I have done a "battery pull" (power and volume down) and also booted into safe mode with no resolution. I haven't tried a FDR b/c I'm nervous it doesn't have enough juice to make it through. Thoughts?

I had a similar situation occur with my old Bionic. Eventually, it was determined that there was an issue with the charging component of the motherboard. I swapped mine in for a warranty replacement.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
When you say you turned it off and continued to charge, did you completely power down the phone? Do so, then leave it on charge overnight. Power up in the morning and see if you have anything over 10%. You may be experiencing meter divergence, where the meter begins to not recognize or properly estimate the State of Charge (SOC), of the battery. It's easily fixable, but requires 2 nights of full "Powered off" charges with a drain to 10% in between.

Please report back with the answer to the question above.

OP
A

AuD14

Reaction score
That's what I'm starting to wonder. Going to head by Verizon on lunch or after work. I'm curious as to what a hassle it is going to be as this is an insurance replaced phone but I'm still w/in my 1 year warranty period (on both original and replacement device).

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
No, there's likely no need to replace. It's simply a matter of training the meter to the battery's true capacity. Follow the steps above and report back. When I say Power Off, I mean COMPLETELY powered down (press and hold power button, choose "Power off". Then plug into the charger and don't touch it for at least 5.5 hours.

OP
A

AuD14

Reaction score
When you say you turned it off and continued to charge, did you completely power down the phone? Do so, then leave it on charge overnight. Power up in the morning and see if you have anything over 10%. You may be experiencing meter divergence, where the meter begins to not recognize or properly estimate the State of Charge (SOC), of the battery. It's easily fixable, but requires 2 nights of full "Powered off" charges with a drain to 10% in between.

Please report back with the answer to the question above.

I've been reading about this and thought I was going to be able to attempt it. But after the phone automatically boots at 5% and stops charging, I have immediately powered down, by the time it finishes booting it is <5% and automatically reboots at 5%. I'm essentially in a loop I can't escape it seems. So I can't get it to charge while off to more than 5% battery. I even tried a battery pull (power and vol down) while it was booting to try and get past 5% but it booted up automatically not much longer after that at 5% yet again.

OP
A

AuD14

Reaction score
And here's a screen grab of my battery usage Screenshot_2013-07-01-10-43-02.png

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK, so try this...let the phone continue to run at 5%, and don't power it off, don't charge it. Let's see how long it will run at 5%. I've seen a phone in this state operate for 8 hours of video at that level. It's the meter's being confused about the battery's true capacity and SOC. We need to drain the battery to close to the REAL 5%, then run the meter training of two full powered-off charges with a drain to 10% between.

OP
A

AuD14

Reaction score
It's not running very long at all. If I don't touch maybe 10-15 minutes or so it seems. If I do anything on it, it powers down in <3 minutes.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK, then if it is powering down on its own, the battery or charging circuit are likely toast. Take it to VZW and take that screen shot, along with my post - if you wish. They should replace it with a CLNR at no charge.

OP
A

AuD14

Reaction score
Thanks! I was hoping it was going to be battery meter but was afraid it was more serious. CLNR - Condition Like New Refurbished?

Appreciate all your help