Phone Insurance options?

magnus

Reaction score
We just built, so I had everything put on my home owners insurance. I got something called total loss protection. If anything dies that isnt under a warranty, it's replaced with no deductible. Total policy was paid in advance and on a tiered level. it cost me nothing to add an additional 650 for the galaxy nexus

Ah...congrats on the new house! and thanks for the info!

OP
C

cloud12077

Reaction score
Looks like you have to buy the phone from best buy in order to buy the black tie plan.

Product Protection Plans - Best Buy

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

I read through that earlier and I read through their blacktie thing. I didn't notice anything that said it must be purchased at best buy. I'm going to head there after work and I'll report my findings.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a phone policy through Worth Avenue group. It cost about $55/year with a $50 deductible with a phone value of $599. You can pick a higher or lower value. They seem to be a good company with good reviews. I've never had a claim so I can't speak from experience.

OP
C

cloud12077

Reaction score
Just stopped at Best Buy and you have to purchase the phone from them to get the blacktie warrenty.

mikekon

Reaction score
I read through that earlier and I read through their blacktie thing. I didn't notice anything that said it must be purchased at best buy. I'm going to head there after work and I'll report my findings.

"You can purchase Geek Squad Black Tie Protection for products you buy both online and in our stores."

It doesn't explicitly say that products bought from other stores don't qualify but my guess is that you must buy from best buy to purchase black tie. Interested to learn what you find out.

EDIT: just saw your other post. Thanks for checking.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Last edited:

DarrellM5

Reaction score
I bought mine through Squaretrade. $124 for two years with accidental damage (including liquids) protection and a $99 deductible.

braveone772

Reaction score
Another option...

Is through an up and coming company called ProtectCell. You can easily purchase their insurance, within the first 30 days of owning a new device. it's $119.99 for two years, and then the deductible is $70. It also comes with perks, such as Identity Theft protection, phone locator services, and a member's rewards mall that has pretty steep discounts on everything from restaurant gift certificates to electronics from The Microsoft store. Check them out.

www.protectcell.com

ETA: They are also one of the few companies that actually replaces your device with a NEW device, and not a CLNR. Just FYI.

OP
C

cloud12077

Reaction score
Is through an up and coming company called ProtectCell. You can easily purchase their insurance, within the first 30 days of owning a new device. it's $119.99 for two years, and then the deductible is $70. It also comes with perks, such as Identity Theft protection, phone locator services, and a member's rewards mall that has pretty steep discounts on everything from restaurant gift certificates to electronics from The Microsoft store. Check them out.

www.protectcell.com

ETA: They are also one of the few companies that actually replaces your device with a NEW device, and not a CLNR. Just FYI.

Interesting. I like the idea of a new device over a CLNR.

I have 15 days (from Sunday) to decide if I'm keeping ensquared or not. Thank you for the info!

magnus

Reaction score
Interesting. I like the idea of a new device over a CLNR.

I have 15 days (from Sunday) to decide if I'm keeping ensquared or not. Thank you for the info!

Ensquared CS just told me that they only replace with new not CNLRs

I'm deciding between Protectcell and Ensquared myself

BrendanR

Reaction score
Ensquared CS just told me that they only replace with new not CNLRs

I'm deciding between Protectcell and Ensquared myself

I got Ensquared when I bought my T-Bolt back in March, picked up a Nexus on launch and instead of selling the T-Bolt with a cracked screen I sent it in. They sent back a brand new T-Bolt but the only catch was you either had to allow a $600 hold to be placed on your CC or send the send in and wait for it to be returned. The turn around was very quick especially considering the holiday. It costs $58 for 1 year or $98 for 2 years, both have a $75 deductible and cover all damages. When I registered my Nexus there was a glitch in the system and I got 2 years for $41.

I will definitely be sticking with ensquared.

braveone772

Reaction score
See

This is a downfall of ensquared, you can't transfer the policy when you buy a new device. With ProtectCell you can just transfer your policy from the Tbolt to the Nexus, and then just sell the broken one, or find a place who repairs them for cheap. Plus, with ProtectCell, you are enrolled in an identity theft protection program, a members only program that is similar to Lookout, but with far greater usage, and a rewards mall where you can get HUGE discounts on things like restaurant gift cards, electronics, clothes, all that kind of stuff. In my opinion, the extra 20 bucks up front for the ProtectCell is DEFINITELY worth it, considering its a $5 less deductible, and you get all that added stuff...

magnus

Reaction score

www.protectcell.com

Okay......I just spoke to ProtectCell CS. They just told me that they may give me a new OR CNLR phone....just depending on what they can get out quicker.

Bottom line.......If it isn't in writing on their website or policy, I'm not believing it. I'm guessing with both Ensquared and Protectcell, getting a new phone is NOT a guarantee. Heck, if it was you can be sure they would try to advertise that!

But protect cell is looking better as its cheaper with a lower deductible....but does not cover theft or loss. I don't consider those a significant risk for me. Dropping or damage however is.

braveone772

Reaction score
Umm...

I've been selling ProtectCell as a premium retailer for Verizon for the past 6 months, and we've had a couple cases of loss/theft...and Protect Cell covered them. Not sure where you heard that.

ETA: Also...we've never had a protectcell claimant get a CLNR. I guess it's a possibility, for older devices, but to my knowledge, they do new devices almost all the time. I've never experienced or heard otherwise, but I suppose it's possible.

Last edited:

magnus

Reaction score
I've been selling ProtectCell as a premium retailer for Verizon for the past 6 months, and we've had a couple cases of loss/theft...and Protect Cell covered them. Not sure where you heard that.

ETA: Also...we've never had a protectcell claimant get a CLNR. I guess it's a possibility, for older devices, but to my knowledge, they do new devices almost all the time. I've never experienced or heard otherwise, but I suppose it's possible.

Sorry.......I wasn't implying Protectcell would not cover loss/theft, I was talking about their 'damage plus' plan (which I am considering) which would not cover loss/theft. Loss and theft appear to be only covered under their more expensive 'membership' plan. I'm just going off their website.