Droid insurance for cheap

superglen99

Reaction score
Hey the guys over at squaretrade now do Droid insurance for the full price ($599) woot woot! It's cheaper in the long run and I believe you can pay it all at once instead of monthly and remove the $8 from your bill each month. It's $144 2 year total vs. verizons $192 2 year total and the deductible is $50 with squaretrade vs. $89 with verizon and it looks like it covers everything! sign me up tomorrow!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
My VZW deductible is $50 for my Droid...I tend to deal with companies I trust.

Reaction score
I thought my deductible was $50 too, until I ordered a phone for my son yesterday and they passed me over to the disclosures area, which said smartphone deductibles are now $79. Nobody told me this in the store when I went in and got the phone, though.

That's something you may want to check into.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
From the "What is covered?" link on the squaretrade website:
All cell phones except iPhones (for which we have a special plan) are covered for the replacement cost of the phone, up to a maximum of the amount selected, or the price you paid which is listed on your item receipt, whichever is less.

So, if you got a NE2 deal and paid only $100-$200, (or even $49 now) you will only be covered for the price that you paid...NOT the $499 that they would have you believe.

Also,
No Coverage from Loss: There is no coverage against lost or stolen phones.

So, basically, you pay a little less, but you get a lot less.

dusbbal2008

Reaction score
All cell phones except iPhones (for which we have a special plan) are covered for the replacement cost of the phone, up to a maximum of the amount selected, or the price you paid which is listed on your item receipt, whichever is less.

So, if you got a NE2 deal and paid only $100-$200, (or even $49 now) you will only be covered for the price that you paid...NOT the $499 that they would have you believe.

Also,

The first part is incorrect. I have contacted them and asked them regarding this same question. What they said that pertains to is if you bought the phone outright. They said that squaretrade recognizes that companies subsidize phones and that if you bought a phone at a subsidized price you will be covered for the full amount of your policy (which is 599).

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My VZW deductible is $50 for my Droid...I tend to deal with companies I trust.

You may trust asurion, but there is no reason not to trust squaretrade. I have dealt with them in the past and they are absolutely amazing regarding your claims.

SquareTrade Reviews at NexTag.com

Squaretrade also has an A+ with the BBB.

Interesting. I was thinking that I wouldn't trust them, never heard of them but that does give some endorsement to them.

My problem is I don't have a receipt on my Droid and Verizon doesn't either. They can tell when I bought it and what I paid for it but because of the convoluted way I got mine somehow the receipt for it was never printed up. Weird. So I don't think I could get this insurance even if I wanted to.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score

Also,

The first part is incorrect. I have contacted them and asked them regarding this same question. What they said that pertains to is if you bought the phone outright. They said that squaretrade recognizes that companies subsidize phones and that if you bought a phone at a subsidized price you will be covered for the full amount of your policy (which is 599).

You may trust what you were told by a customer service representative, but unless it's in writing, I don't take peoples word for things like this. I've been burned enough times to know better. Maybe the contract will have a more specific definition of "the price that you paid" but unless I see it in writing, I have to assume that means the money that came out of my pocket, period. Especially since they include the verbiage "price you paid which is listed on your item receipt"

The fact that they have good Nextag reviews and a good BBB rating is encouraging though.