Phone Big oversight

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
I have found what it seems you are looking for sterdroids.

Look up the app "Executive Assistant". It's $1.99, but saw it listed under the Android Developers Challenge 2.
It's a lock screen app, and one of the things it offers is music control without needing to unlock the device.
All you'll need to do is press the power button and you would have immediate access to media player controls.
There might be more like it - seems there are a few apps out there that offer viewing certain things on a custom lock screen. Give Executive Assistant a try or look for other lock screen apps. I'm sure a google search might provide a few hits if you look hard enough.

Keep an eye on Lock 2.0. Based on comments it apparently doesn't support the Droid's resolution and thus doesn't fill the screen, but it provides music controls while making the lock screen resemble the iPhone lock screen (it can be skinned as well). Again, not free. There is a Lite version but that doesn't include music control, or basically any of the features other than a new look for the lock screen.
Thanks I will check it out. Much appreciated!

In case you are still having issues with this... there is an app called button shortcuts (free) that allows you to reassign the camera button. I have it set to bring up voice dial but you could easily set it to Phone so you'd have a hardware button that brings up the phone app. Once set you merely press and hold the cam button breifly and it will bring up the selected app. And the button still functions normally in the camera app; you just have to launch the camera app by tapping it on the touch screen. No big loss in my view.

Thanks as well. Looks promising much appreciated as well Thanks!

Edit

I tried it and it crashed the phone making it force quit over and over. It was worth a shot. thanks

Azmordean

Reaction score
I have found what it seems you are looking for sterdroids.

Look up the app "Executive Assistant". It's $1.99, but saw it listed under the Android Developers Challenge 2.
It's a lock screen app, and one of the things it offers is music control without needing to unlock the device.
All you'll need to do is press the power button and you would have immediate access to media player controls.
There might be more like it - seems there are a few apps out there that offer viewing certain things on a custom lock screen. Give Executive Assistant a try or look for other lock screen apps. I'm sure a google search might provide a few hits if you look hard enough.

Keep an eye on Lock 2.0. Based on comments it apparently doesn't support the Droid's resolution and thus doesn't fill the screen, but it provides music controls while making the lock screen resemble the iPhone lock screen (it can be skinned as well). Again, not free. There is a Lite version but that doesn't include music control, or basically any of the features other than a new look for the lock screen.
Thanks I will check it out. Much appreciated!

In case you are still having issues with this... there is an app called button shortcuts (free) that allows you to reassign the camera button. I have it set to bring up voice dial but you could easily set it to Phone so you'd have a hardware button that brings up the phone app. Once set you merely press and hold the cam button breifly and it will bring up the selected app. And the button still functions normally in the camera app; you just have to launch the camera app by tapping it on the touch screen. No big loss in my view.

Thanks as well. Looks promising much appreciated as well Thanks!

Edit

I tried it and it crashed the phone making it force quit over and over. It was worth a shot. thanks

Hmmm, that is very odd, but you are right! I tried it and it crashes mine too. Strange that it works perfectly when set to Voice Dial but setting it to Phone crashes it :icon_eek:. Ah well!

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
I love this phone but a few little things arent working for me I will hold out till 12/11 and see but it will be hard to give it up. I just might not be able to.

Azmordean

Reaction score
My intent here isn't to be snarky, but I'm wondering if you've tried a BlackBerry? I came to the Droid from the BlackBerry Tour 9630, and while I'm planning to stick with the Droid, the Tour was truly a fantastic device in my view. Simply amazing keyboard. A breeze to move around, even one handed, with the trackball. And a very bright screen with high pixel density - it's *almost* as pretty as the Droid's, though much smaller. And, of course, it also has hardware phone buttons, a hardware voice dial side button, AND a hardware camera button.

In my mind with the Tour you gain better battery life, better keyboard, and slightly better phone operation. You lose the beautiful droid screen, and with it the ability to truly experience the "non-mobile web" in a useful way. As far as apps - you've got a lot of the same stuff. There's a good Gmail app, there's Google Maps (albeit without Navigation for the time being), there's IM apps, multiple browser choices, and so on. The OS is more textual and less flashy, but it gets the job done well.

All in all, it was a tough choice for me between the Droid and the Tour. I've gone with the Droid, primarily because, for me, the increased functionality in the web browsing realm and its consumer capability outweigh the Tour's advantages. If you are a bit more "old school" though, the Tour (or the new, cheaper Curve 2) could be a better choice for you.

I love the Droid but don't let the Droid fanboys fool you into thinking "BlackBerry sucks." RIM has a long history of making rock solid smartphones, and they are still doing it. I tend to think their QWERTY models, which are true to their roots, are better than the Storm models (just my opinion), but there are some viable RIM choices out there if you decide the Droid is not for you but you still want a Smartphone.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My intent here isn't to be snarky, but I'm wondering if you've tried a BlackBerry? I came to the Droid from the BlackBerry Tour 9630, and while I'm planning to stick with the Droid, the Tour was truly a fantastic device in my view. Simply amazing keyboard. A breeze to move around, even one handed, with the trackball. And a very bright screen with high pixel density - it's *almost* as pretty as the Droid's, though much smaller. And, of course, it also has hardware phone buttons, a hardware voice dial side button, AND a hardware camera button.

In my mind with the Tour you gain better battery life, better keyboard, and slightly better phone operation. You lose the beautiful droid screen, and with it the ability to truly experience the "non-mobile web" in a useful way. As far as apps - you've got a lot of the same stuff. There's a good Gmail app, there's Google Maps (albeit without Navigation for the time being), there's IM apps, multiple browser choices, and so on. The OS is more textual and less flashy, but it gets the job done well.

All in all, it was a tough choice for me between the Droid and the Tour. I've gone with the Droid, primarily because, for me, the increased functionality in the web browsing realm and its consumer capability outweigh the Tour's advantages. If you are a bit more "old school" though, the Tour (or the new, cheaper Curve 2) could be a better choice for you.

I love the Droid but don't let the Droid fanboys fool you into thinking "BlackBerry sucks." RIM has a long history of making rock solid smartphones, and they are still doing it. I tend to think their QWERTY models, which are true to their roots, are better than the Storm models (just my opinion), but there are some viable RIM choices out there if you decide the Droid is not for you but you still want a Smartphone.

RIM has a long history of releasing nearly identical devices with little advancement. They also just released that nearly every device to date will experience NO development with Open GL or Flash. (Storm 2 and 9700 only devices currently available that may benefit). RIM is well behind in development of a webkit browser. Just within the last year even acquiring the resources to begin development (Torch Mobile). They frequently experience data outages as all BB's go thru RIM servers. Crippled GPS. (Well VZW anyways.)

BB will I believe hold it's 'business' niche for a long time as nothing compares to the security on a BB. However... BB has lost the 'consumer' market attention.... their devices are stale. Plain OS... out dated. People who do not require the security advantage or 'push' E-mail of a BB are realizing that the devices are the same form pushed out in repetition. Nothing really changes... nothing really evolves.

Don't get me wrong... what BB does, it does very well. But to say it's superior to what Android can offer is ignoring the obvious. Open development will propel Android past BB in time. It's a no contest.

BB still has it's place and I do believe that there are those who would benefit from and enjoy more, a BB over an Android device. But I'm not one of them.

These are my thoughts... that's all, just thoughts :)

edit: Not SNARKY AT ALL. Opinions are what keep discussions going. You have valid reasons why you like one over the other.

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score

Not snarky at all! Thanks for your well thought out information and valued opinion it all makes sense. I never really wanted a BB I held onto WinMo for a longtime and jump for the Droid now which the web alone is a knockout punch!

If 12/11 doesnt do it 4 me I sit it out and wait for the next round of Droid type options and jump in again.

Thanks again.

JLB09

Reaction score
It just seems reading through this thread and others that are similar the issue for some is that they really want the easy function of a phone more than they perhaps need a mini computer. Most of the dissatisfaction is from those that preferred a simpler method for texting and phone usage and for those people the Tour or one of the other Blackberry devices might be best.

For me watching my two sons with a Tour and a Storm struggle to bring up websites I knew that those phones were not for me and just love my Droid. And while the phone and the testing are not as easy as I was used to it is worth it to have so many other amazing features and immediate web access.

So I am a happy droid owner. I also realize that this phone with updates will only get better and better.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It just seems reading through this thread and others that are similar the issue for some is that they really want the easy function of a phone more than they perhaps need a mini computer. Most of the dissatisfaction is from those that preferred a simpler method for texting and phone usage and for those people the Tour or one of the other Blackberry devices might be best.

For me watching my two sons with a Tour and a Storm struggle to bring up websites I knew that those phones were not for me and just love my Droid. And while the phone and the testing are not as easy as I was used to it is worth it to have so many other amazing features and immediate web access.

So I am a happy droid owner.

Think you're on the right track here. Which is why it's great to have more variety of choice with smartphones now! Something for everyone!

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score

So I am a happy droid owner. I also realize that this phone with updates will only get better and better.

I hear you the web access is winning me over even if it might be harder for me to get my work emails (which is a problem atm) I might have to do double steps but it might be worth it for the web.

67malibugirl

Reaction score
Those that are leaving rude comments on this thread, what the heck? It is a question, no need to be jerks about it. This is supposed to be a place for asking questions, not judging a person on their question.:icon_ nono:

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
Even though old--I don't think I'll ever get rid of my Motorola Q as my backup (I don't have insurance). LOL WinMobile sucks in comparison to Android 2.0 <right now>, but damn, it sure was reliable for getting work done away from the office.

I'm definitely not a "fanboi", just an old guy who is enjoying this new advancement in mobile technology and have it do everything I need it to--and more.

- Mega

alf

Reaction score
Gde

There is a home replacement called GDE. It puts a phone button at the bottom of the screen that stays no matter what screen your on. You can find it in the market doing a search for gde. This may not be the fix your looking for but it does work, and works well. Instead of flaming about the guys question how about try and give him a solution, instead of dull useless remarks.

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
Those that are leaving rude comments on this thread, what the heck? It is a question, no need to be jerks about it. This is supposed to be a place for asking questions, not judging a person on their question.:icon_ nono:

At first I was pissed and I actually posted something about it but the POLICE took it down and gave me a warning. I am over it now because there are more people like you here then the BLANK holes!! Thanks!!!

WinMobile sucks in comparison to Android 2.0 <right now>, but damn, it sure was reliable for getting work done away from the office. - Mega

You hit the nail on the head! I could do so much away and nobody had a clue that I wasnt on a computer which is better. My clients do need to know as long as I get back to them fast!

There is a home replacement called GDE. It puts a phone button at the bottom of the screen that stays no matter what screen your on. You can find it in the market doing a search for gde. This may not be the fix your looking for but it does work, and works well. Instead of flaming about the guys question how about try and give him a solution, instead of dull useless remarks.

Another good person. Thanks thats why I stay around. I heard of it but I been spending most of my time not even with the phone more trying to get streaming radio to work and exchange. get there one by one but i will check out gde. thanks

BzB

Reaction score
...and exchange.

have you tried exchange by touchdown? there's a free trial. definitely worth looking at. much better than standard email app. highly recommended.

still not sure why you can't use the notification toolbar to get to the phone app if you're doing something else though...

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
...and exchange.

have you tried exchange by touchdown? there's a free trial. definitely worth looking at. much better than standard email app. highly recommended.

still not sure why you can't use the notification toolbar to get to the phone app if you're doing something else though...

got touchdown and scored a touchdown :) thanks!

I can use the notification app but it doesnt go to the phone app first it goes to a submenu of the phone then you have to click phone in progress. too much time to get to the phone imho.

the eris on the other hand has dedicated phone button but i cant part with the droid screen :)