Permanent vs temporary clockwork recovery

Droidalicious88

Reaction score
I should know this considering I've had some experience with rooting, recovery and so on.. But when I unlocked my bootloader and rooted my phone, I could either stick with the temporary recovery or go through a few more steps and have permanent recovery. Can anyone tell me the main difference(s). Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

quinolin

Reaction score
As far as I understand it, temporary recovery sticks only around until the next reboot, at which it will revert back to stock recovery which will not allow you to flash anything. So if you want to flash any ROM, mods, kernels, etc. you will need to have permanent CWR.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
It's a recovery console, which means that it's meant for recovery. If you go with the temporary method, you won't be able to use it for recovery - it won't be there! You'll have to reflash it before using it or connect to a computer.

Permanent install means that you can hold down your volume keys, press power, and boot into the recovery console without the need for a computer at all. So if you bork up your phone while you're out and about, you can restore to a backup like nothing ever happened. Being able to recover without needing a computer is a very nice feature to have.

If you want to use ROM Manager to help make it easier to perform backups and install new roms, you have to go with the permanent method. ROM Manager can actually download CWM and flash it for you - but you need root access, and chances are if you have root access, you've already installed CWM.

NOTE: Make sure you don't forget to delete or rename "/system/recovery-from-boot.p"! If you leave that file there, every time you boot up Android OS, it will re-flash over CWM with the stock recovery, meaning that when you need it, it won't be there!

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
as far as i understand it, temporary recovery sticks only around until the next reboot, at which it will revert back to stock recovery which will not allow you to flash anything. So if you want to flash any rom, mods, kernels, etc. You will need to have permanent cwr.

^^^
this

Alvarez13

Reaction score
So I can unlock and root, then download Rom Manager, and use Rom Manager to make CWM permanent?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I can unlock and root, then download Rom Manager, and use Rom Manager to make CWM permanent?

Kinda. Use Rom Manager to flash CWM, then use Root Explorer (or other) to modify the file that needs to be changed/deleted to allow CWM to become permanent.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a recovery console, which means that it's meant for recovery. If you go with the temporary method, you won't be able to use it for recovery - it won't be there! You'll have to reflash it before using it or connect to a computer.

Permanent install means that you can hold down your volume keys, press power, and boot into the recovery console without the need for a computer at all. So if you bork up your phone while you're out and about, you can restore to a backup like nothing ever happened. Being able to recover without needing a computer is a very nice feature to have.

If you want to use ROM Manager to help make it easier to perform backups and install new roms, you have to go with the permanent method. ROM Manager can actually download CWM and flash it for you - but you need root access, and chances are if you have root access, you've already installed CWM.

NOTE: Make sure you don't forget to delete or rename "/system/recovery-from-boot.p"! If you leave that file there, every time you boot up Android OS, it will re-flash over CWM with the stock recovery, meaning that when you need it, it won't be there!

I have not been able to find that file anyway. Honestly I haven't seen it....and I have CWM when I select reboot recovery

streetmike

Reaction score
Just to piggyback really quick. I unlocked, rooted and did the CWM and used root explorer and renamed the file. So when I hold the volume buttons and boot it still gives me the little android guy with the big start arrow. How do i get into recovery from there? Thanks.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Just to piggyback really quick. I unlocked, rooted and did the CWM and used root explorer and renamed the file. So when I hold the volume buttons and boot it still gives me the little android guy with the big start arrow. How do i get into recovery from there? Thanks.

Use the volume rocker to change the "start" to Reboot recovery (or something along those lines).