Is using rom manager the only way to boot into clockwork mod recovery?

mattv111

Reaction score
I can get to CWM using rom manager, but I thought you could also get to it through bootloader mode. When I scroll to recovery mode and press the power button I'm taken to a screen with the android guy and a '!' I've tried every button combo I could think of to try and get past this, but nothing works. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Now even when I reboot recovery through rom manager I get that screen

Last edited:

captdroid

Reaction score
I can get to CWM using rom manager, but I thought you could also get to it through bootloader mode. When I scroll to recovery mode and press the power button I'm taken to a screen with the android guy and a '!' I've tried every button combo I could think of to try and get past this, but nothing works. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Now even when I reboot recovery through rom manager I get that screen

That's because the stock recovery reflashed... check the thread installing CWM it tells you that one of the system files must be renamed to avoid flashing back to stock recovery on reboot.

bryantjopplin

Reaction score
You might not followed the instructions right. Also you can download reboot recovery app from the market works fine for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
That's because the stock recovery reflashed... check the thread installing CWM it tells you that one of the system files must be renamed to avoid flashing back to stock recovery on reboot.

Yeah that sounds like the problem. You need to
7. In Root Explorer go to System, mount as R/W(button up towards the top of the app), find recovery-from-boot.p (change to 1recovery-from-boot.p or delete)
^ is from the instructions to installing clockworkmod recovery.

To reboot into recovery there are a lot of options. Using ROM Manager, various widgets, modified power button menu, or even typing commands into terminal or adb. You can also power the device on into the fastboot menu, and then select recovery from there.

throwbot

Reaction score
The guy up top was right, you have to dowload a root file manager like root explorer ($3.99 on the market) and rename a file in clockwork by adding a 1 to the very beginning of it. DO IT NOW!!!!! I soft bricked my phone and have no way to get into my recovery to flash anything, and I could kick myself in the ass for not fixing my clockwork mod when I found out how to.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
The guy up top was right, you have to dowload a root file manager like root explorer ($3.99 on the market) and rename a file in clockwork by adding a 1 to the very beginning of it. DO IT NOW!!!!! I soft bricked my phone and have no way to get into my recovery to flash anything, and I could kick myself in the ass for not fixing my clockwork mod when I found out how to.

I like this new phrase "soft-brick". Is that like "I broke something and I can't fix it without using a USB cable"?

fastboot to CWM is easy enough
you can fastboot flash CWM
from CWM you can adb shell and delete recovery-from-boot.p

But yeah - without a USB cable and PC, there's no way to recover if you let CWM get reflashed back to stock.

throwbot

Reaction score
I know it sucked, and for some reason when I plugged my phone into my computer, it would respond to the adb commands when it was in the boot loop, but when I gave it the adb reboot bootloader command and sent it into the boot loader it stopped responding. It was doing the same thing it did when I rooted it, but this time I couldn't figure out the driver problem. It was horrific, had to swap it out for a different gnex and hope they didn't notice the unlock sign under Google when they turned it on (it was a chick sales rep, she tried touching it and sliding it over like it was just a slide-to-unlock thing. As soon as I saw her do that I knew I was gravy). Sadly tho, I lost a flawlessly performing nexus to one with radio issues.

mrZoSo

Reaction score
I know it sucked, and for some reason when I plugged my phone into my computer, it would respond to the adb commands when it was in the boot loop, but when I gave it the adb reboot bootloader command and sent it into the boot loader it stopped responding. It was doing the same thing it did when I rooted it, but this time I couldn't figure out the driver problem. It was horrific, had to swap it out for a different gnex and hope they didn't notice the unlock sign under Google when they turned it on (it was a chick sales rep, she tried touching it and sliding it over like it was just a slide-to-unlock thing. As soon as I saw her do that I knew I was gravy). Sadly tho, I lost a flawlessly performing nexus to one with radio issues.

Wow, because of a driver problem you exchanged a good phone. No wonder VZW wants to lock down everything,, LMAO

bryantjopplin

Reaction score
bet it was driver issues. Many on here are having the same problem. I mimicked what their setup was and I got the same results. I switched it out with googles generic drivers and it worked like a champ in adb.

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
go to settings in rom manager and use the manual flash override feature.... it'll ask what version you have installed and just check the latest version, it'll work fine after that =]