Perfect Phone for Me

richiethec

Reaction score
I feel compelled to write this as I scan down the list of threads that are mostly all negative. I got my Droid DNA in mid-December, not knowing whether I'd keep it or return it. My hesitation in knowing was related to the commonly heard issues of battery life/not replaceable and small memory/not augmentable with a card. Now that I've had it for 1.5 months, I'm happy to say that I have no buyer's remorse and believe it was the very best choice for me. I don't see any Androids coming on the horizon that I wish I had waited for. I've typically got 75% battery life remaining when I get home from work. When I go to bed I place it on the wireless charger. I've got way more than enough memory, and I have pictures and videos set to upload to SugarSync whenever I'm in Wi-Fi range, then I delete them from the phone when I don't need them there anymore. The screen is the very best you can get. I'm careful and I don't drop it, and the screen is so far spotless/scratchless, despite taking it in and out of my pocket (face down) all day long. Sorry to sound like a fanboy, but I guess I am.

It would be interesting to hear from those of you who are also happy with your DNA about any pearls or apps you have loaded that you particularly like or that have made you more productive with your Droid.

Robster

Reaction score
I am right there with you. There was one feature that I liked more on the S3 versus the DNA. (The Galaxy S3 and the DNA were my only 2 considerations at the time) That was the 'Smart Stay' feature. Well, turns out there is an app in the Play market called 'Smart Stay EX' and it works just like the S3's does and so far it works perfectly on my DNA. Makes me like the phone that much more! I have had no problems with battery life or storage. I have tons of apps, some pics and a high def movie on my phone and I still have 7 gigs free. I seriously love the camera and the burst shot mode. I always get the right picture that way. Oh, and DLNA with Twonky works very well with my PS3. Previous phones were problematic in that area. And the screen still astounds me. My wife has the Iphone 5. I wanted to like the 5 but I just couldn't get past the small screen and the very uncustomizable OS experience. To me, the Iphone 5 just doesn't compare in any way to my DNA except for 1. The only way the Iphone is better is that there are a few apps that the she can get that I can't, but nothing major at all. Overall the DNA is a ridiculously awesome phone, and this is after owning it for close to a month and a half.

Shel

Reaction score
I'd have to agree!

Purchased the DNA back in December. Generally, after about 5 or 6 weeks of owning a new phone, the novelty would have worn off, and I'd be checking out what new phones are on the horizon!

Still loving the DNA! The screen is amazing (my brother, who owns an iPhone 5 and everything else Apple, after playing around with my DNA, told me a few days later how he was discussing how great the DNA is with a friend of his!), battery life, for MY NEEDS works sufficiently, speed of the device is excellent.... just provides an excellent overall user experience!

Would I like Razr Maxx HD battery life in an iPhone 5 size device, while still retaining a 5" 1080 x 1920 screen and inductive charging?

Sure.

However, HTC has managed to cram a 5" screen into a cell phone sized device. Just can't see myself carrying around a Note2. It's just TOOO big for my needs, in spite of giving you S pen, longer battery life and half an inch larger screen size.

Inductive charging
Dual LED notification lights
Soft touch finish
441 ppi

As for memory, which was my major concern, I've loaded all of my music to Google Music, and can select 4, 5, 6 albums that I want stored on my device. Practically the only time I listen to music on my DNA is at the gym, and they have wifi there, so I have access to my entire collection, but honestly, I'm more likely to listen to talk radio.

Oh, and while I don't hear most people talking about it, Beats provides LOUD and CLEAR sound, that blows me away!

I've loaded EVERY app I want/need, music and photos are in the clouds and access hasn't been an issue, and I have over 4GB of internal memory still available.

Is this phone for everyone? Of course not! I'd NEVER suggest my 80 year old mother switch from her iPhone to a DNA. It's just not for her, and she could care less about customizing the home screen, or Beats, or wireless charging.

My son loves the integration his iPhone 5 provides him, with his school required Mac computer. All of his assignments and projects have to be on his mac, and his iPhone (well, according to him) provides better integration with his computer.

But for me?

Love this phone!

mokes

Reaction score
My wife just upgraded from her Incredible 2 to the DNA and I have say that I'm very impressed with this phone in every way. Very sleek, amazing display, camera is great, battery life is more than adequate for her. Phone is fast, smooth and a HUGE leap from her old Incredible. She is a very happy girl.

I have an OG Razr and the battery life on it is pretty poor. I'm trying to hold out for the host of new phones coming out, but from what I can tell.....the HTC DNA is a worthy purchase and at 199.00, it's a great purchase.

indee2025

Reaction score
Agree

I loved the Original Motorola Droid and I remember paying the ETF for my AT&T contract, giving up my iphone 3GS and geting my Verizon Droid.

Eventually, my good buddy became aged to the point where I couldn't get many new apps because the original droid couldn't run them and we had to part ways...

*What was funny about paying the ETF on my iphone in order to switch to the Droid on Verizon was the attempt by At&t o keep my business....they told me to keep the iphone for the next 3 months free and see if I changed my mind or to see if I could transfer the contract to a friend...I literally told them thanks but after seeing the Droid I'm jumping ship.*

I got the Droid X, Droid incredible, nothing felt the same until the Droid Bionic...I felt the same enthusiasm I did for the the orgiginal Droid and times were good, for about a week, but aparantly Motorola did not do much debugging on the Bionic and she suffered from poor signal, poor battery life, random boots, it was horrible....I was sad to see such a great device in peril.

I got the Droid Dna and the enthusiasm is back again! The device is very customizable without having to root and very sleek & fast. When I pull it out to check my mail, weather, text etc I have random people asking me what it is, complimenting it-the attention is fine-the Droid DNA is one hell of a device...It amazes me HTC as a copany is in such a rut as this device was wel thought out and well done...I read the forums where I see people have issues and understandably I wouldn't be happy if that was the case, but I haven't had any issues and I'm really happy with the DNA....

Last edited:

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
Thank u indee, as your positiveness is making my thoughts about jumping to the DNA easier. Im really fighting that urge to just do it, i have 2 things i can do here. Either trade my iPhone 5 for one or sell my iphone for $450, buy the DNA for $199 on contract and make about a $225 profit lol. I loved my rezound, that was a great phone. I just think the DNA is that much better. I just dont like what im reading and hearing about the current situation HTC is in.

Although, i dont think they will go belly up or get eaten by a big whale anytime soon, so i think were in the clear.

Nevermore

Reaction score
I would like to throw my .02 in and say that this phone is awesome. I've had it for about a month now and so far no issues at all. I paid full off contract price for it as well.

I've owned the original Droid and the Bionic and obviously there is no comparison. I'm very happy with the 5" screen. I think that this will be my sweet spot size wise going forward.

I'm hopeful that this will tide me over for some time and I'm thinking it will.

The screen is worth the price of admission alone, but I would assume that all phones coming out this year will have a very similar screen.

No regrets for me.

summit21

Reaction score
I feel compelled to write this as I scan down the list of threads that are mostly all negative. I got my Droid DNA in mid-December, not knowing whether I'd keep it or return it. My hesitation in knowing was related to the commonly heard issues of battery life/not replaceable and small memory/not augmentable with a card. Now that I've had it for 1.5 months, I'm happy to say that I have no buyer's remorse and believe it was the very best choice for me. I don't see any Androids coming on the horizon that I wish I had waited for. I've typically got 75% battery life remaining when I get home from work. When I go to bed I place it on the wireless charger. I've got way more than enough memory, and I have pictures and videos set to upload to SugarSync whenever I'm in Wi-Fi range, then I delete them from the phone when I don't need them there anymore. The screen is the very best you can get. I'm careful and I don't drop it, and the screen is so far spotless/scratchless, despite taking it in and out of my pocket (face down) all day long. Sorry to sound like a fanboy, but I guess I am.

It would be interesting to hear from those of you who are also happy with your DNA about any pearls or apps you have loaded that you particularly like or that have made you more productive with your Droid.

I would argue that the HTC M7 is gonna be worth the wait. I have been tempted to go with the DNA, especially now that it is on sale, $49 new contract, $99 for existing upgrade. The fact that it is so cheap now leads me to believe that Verizon will carry the M7/One. I have a hard time with the thought of a 5 inch phone. Yes the screen is amazing, very nice. I am of the opinion that 4.3-4.8 is the sweet spot for smartphones (this is not inclusive of phablets, they are in their own market). It is why I am holding out hope that Verizon will carry the M7/One or their version of it. It is going to have one of the best displays available at 4.7 inches, and 468ppi, Wow! I could understand the OP wanting the DNA since a wait from mid December would be long. I am still rocking the Incredible 2 and gingerbread, lol, waiting on the M7/One. The news today on the Motorola X phone is also making it hard to upgrade to something cheaper now.

mokes

Reaction score
At some point....you just have to realize a phone is a phone is a phone. There's always going to be better. You wait for this and that will be out a month later. Hell...I still love my Razr.

My wife's DNA is great though. Fast, crisp, smooth. Most of all...it just plain old works.

indee2025

Reaction score
The M7 looks to be caled the HTC One and it's similar to the Droid DNA and is supposed to be available for Sprint, At&t and T-mobile...I think the HTC One (aka M7) is just HTC's answer to getting the DNA onto other carriers. It is said to offer 32GB & 64GB models with a 1.7 quad core and 4.7 inch display with 2GB ram to be compared to the DNA's 16GB model with a 1.5 quad core, 5 inch display & 2GB Ram.

Supposedly Verizon will release the Droid DNA Plus later this year which will offer 32GB & 64GB models but I do not see that happening IMO. But holding out for the HTC One (M7) doesn't make sense anymore.

I had the Rezound as well & thought highly of it...too many battery issues with it but the DNA hasn't given me any issues and has a stellar battery and I'm a data hog. I responded to another user's post about disabling apps (on non rooted devices) to conserve battery life on the DNA, check it out if you're interested.