People who upgrade every time a new phone gets released

elietu

Reaction score
How can they afford to do that? Its like $700-800 per upgrade after the cheap 2 yr one. It just boggles my mind that people can afford to keep upgrading every few months just for a small advance over the phone they currently have. I can't believe how often companies like Samsung and Motorola release new phones. You get a nice Galaxy s3 and your cool for a few months, but then its all about the galaxy note 2 and so on and so fourth.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hello and welcome to the DROID forums..

Some of us do it just because we can... its no different than making modifications to your car or truck, which I also do... lol.

As far as the cost... everybody should do as they can afford :) some people don't pay full retail, they buy off of swappa, Craigslist, eBay... lots of places... :)

The reason we do it... we're tech junkies, we want the latest greatest... it's an obsession lol

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Personally, it's my drug of choice, and lots cheaper than the other drugs. Relatively a cheap attitude adjustment for me.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Also remember that plenty people sell their current phones as the market is good for phones on no contract.. In the case of VZW if I buy at subsidize price its more of a cost over the year with losing unlimited data..

Sent from my flashaholic G-Nex...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
My tech addiction is so bad.....I switched to a family plan last year just to have upgrades available about every year and to have more than one phone for my use... :( Kids mother is helping pay for 1 line....I have a 3 line family plan now.

Its good tho, I can test phones exactly side by side, I can weigh in on the phone vs phone debates with real hands on experience...

Even still...I kept my Droid X1 for 1 year and 4 months, and my RAZR from last year for 11 months.

Caesars

Reaction score
When i was buying a new phone every few months, i was selling my old ones.

Return of the Android

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I had 3 lines, now 1, I also had every inclination to sell my old phones but I have a shoe box (now 2) of old phones, usually wind up keeping them. I had upgrades every 365 days so I got a new phone every 4 months. Now I just bought a maxx off of CL and sold my RAZR to a friend. The day the RAZR maxx HD came out I got "gifted" with 6 bills, omen. But I resisted waiting for the HTC dlx.
I miss getting them just to play with them and pick the one I like best and leave the others in the sock drawer.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Shadez said:
Yea people sell their old ones... I try and keep mine as long as I can :p

It's hard to take a step backwards, isn't it?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
It easily is.. have G3 now in which I love, Bionic for the lapdock over wifi .. :)

Last edited:

Natey2

Reaction score
I was bent on getting a Razr Maxx, but since Verizon got rid of the unlimited data, I decided to get a new battery and stick with my Droid X for the foreseeable future.

My Nexus 7 tablet cost $249: reasonable, IMO, for state-of-the-art hardware (quad core tegra 3) and software (Android JB 4.1.2).
There's no real reason why adding a cell antenna in a device should increase its price by $500. My phone has become a phone again; any serious Android work is delegated to my tablet.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I still have my x as a backup that was the first phone I "fell in love with" in a long time.

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
Or some people like myself find someone to swap there phones. Some people after the 14 day return period don't like there current phone and want to trade it. I got lucky with my Rezound. I actually found someone on craigslist to swap my Rezound for three gs3. And I am loving this phone.

tkileh

Reaction score
I buy new phone and give my women my old one. It keeps her happy and I get new toys. :)

Maxx HD

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
$600 isn't a lot of money each year. Going to a football game is $150 in food and drinks so its all relative for me.