Pandora crashing in the background?

OP
Oliver84

Oliver84

Reaction score
Okay what's happening is that the Pandora update service gets terminated when you put the app on the background. As soon as you hit the home button and make pandora disappear to the background, it's run as a secondary server process.

By default Android terminates secondary server processes when the phone runs below 20MB free RAM or something (Not sure about this value). The only way to fix this is for the dev to either make Pandora a "visible" application, or change the OOM pririoty values.

or you can just use a task manager and kill dormant apps/processes before running pandora.

OR

You have to download auto memory manager/autokiller and change the secondary server value to something really low like 8MB or 10MB. I can confirm that this works.

I figured it would be something like this. Thats one of the reasons I started using Apps2Sd yet I still have the problem. Shouldnt apps2sd fix it? How has this issue gone for so long without getting much attention? I keep saying that i will never use Pandora again because its so annoying but I end up coming back...

nphil

Reaction score
Apps2SD probably won't fix it since the app is still loaded into the RAM to run.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Okay what's happening is that the Pandora update service gets terminated when you put the app on the background. As soon as you hit the home button and make pandora disappear to the background, it's run as a secondary server process.

By default Android terminates secondary server processes when the phone runs below 20MB free RAM or something (Not sure about this value). The only way to fix this is for the dev to either make Pandora a "visible" application, or change the OOM pririoty values.

or you can just use a task manager and kill dormant apps/processes before running pandora.

OR

You have to download auto memory manager/autokiller and change the secondary server value to something really low like 8MB or 10MB. I can confirm that this works.

I figured it would be something like this. Thats one of the reasons I started using Apps2Sd yet I still have the problem. Shouldnt apps2sd fix it? How has this issue gone for so long without getting much attention? I keep saying that i will never use Pandora again because its so annoying but I end up coming back...

Or do nothing and it works. Is this a rooted/non-rooted issue?

OP
Oliver84

Oliver84

Reaction score

OR

Or do nothing and it works. Is this a rooted/non-rooted issue?

I believe it's a rooted issue...

Wongway

Reaction score
I'm non rooted and I do have this issue. I suspected it was something along these lines... guess I'll try to figure out how to minimize memory useage then.

jefbystereo

Reaction score
I'm not rooted and also have this issue. If it is in fact a memory issue, this would bug me about all the anti task killer thoughts on this board, because it would illustrate a case where the OS wasn't smart enough to manage memory appropriately, and by killing (or preventing the start of) non essential apps, you could keep enough memory to prevent the shutdown.

as a side note, this happens to me with slacker too, although not as often as pandora.

cplus

Reaction score
I only had this problem when I was using Jrummy's remix. Also, regular music playback with the music app would always stop by itself after anywhere from 2 mins to 10 mins and still show the play button as playing.

Now, I don't have those issues on this current ROM but Pandora DOES crash when I am between using it. For example: I listen in my truck. Get to work and pause Pandora and take phone out of cradle. Later, get back into truck and plug in and launch pandora and now just a black screen with unresponsive Pandora controls across the bottom. I have to keep a taskiller on my phone purely for Pandora so that I can manually kill it and relaunch.

Wongway

Reaction score
yeah, I suspected it was an issue with memory, so I decided to manually go into applications and filter the apps to show which one was using more/most memory. With each app (email was surprisingly a big hog), I just cleared the cache.

After doing that, the next time I used Pandora with the Navigation running, it was fine with no crashes.

I suppose some of the apps we're using just aren't coded properly for memory useage.

(non rooted by the way)