Pandora crashing in the background?

Oliver84

Reaction score
I've been looking all over for an answer to this problem I'm having with Pandora. I cannot listen to music with Pandora if it's running in the background. It will play for a while but then it cuts out, screen turns black, and I can't do anything with it except hit menu and quit. For example, if I have Pandora playing and then I open the gps while Pandora's playing, it will bring the map up but then cut my music and the app screen will turn black and none responsive. Anyone else run into this?

medic27

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
I am having the same problem. It cuts out most of the time that I try to open something else.

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
is it possible your having the same problem i was, i didnt exclude it from my task killer.

medic27

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Tried that still crashes...in fact I'm betting it will before I get done replying.

medic27

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
OK after a quick reboot I do believe that has fixed the problem! Thanx!

OP
Oliver84

Oliver84

Reaction score
OK after a quick reboot I do believe that has fixed the problem! Thanx!

Ok, this is for sure different then because I've rebooted many times, tried 5 different roms, 3 different kernels, and have had the same problem.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Happens to me all the time. I have reported it in hopes it can be resolved. Seems to happen when something else starts, example: browser, gmail, notifications, etc... but not all the time and is very intermittent. It also doesn't matter how long the app is open and running.

sindirt

Reaction score
yep

Sometimes, mine crashes way after I have turned it off. Yesterday it crashed while I was talking to a friend on the phone, and I had not listened to it for over two days. I hope they fix this, I love pandora and I don't have much music on my phone because P does an awesome job.

jefbystereo

Reaction score
Same here, sometimes randomly, but often when I startup another app or function.

Sal R.

Reaction score
I've stopped using Pandora for this reason. Crashed a lot for no reason since last update. Sometimes, I can just quit. Most times, I have to task kill it. It got annoying while on a drive.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I am un-rooted, but I do not have Pandora issues. I ran GPS and Pandora with phone calls, text, and emails comming through on an 8 hour trip. Pandora was always in the backround. No issues except at 4 hours when I had to give everything a rest to cool the battery down.

nphil

Reaction score
Okay what's happening is that the Pandora update service gets terminated when you put the app on the background. As soon as you hit the home button and make pandora disappear to the background, it's run as a secondary server process.

By default Android terminates secondary server processes when the phone runs below 20MB free RAM or something (Not sure about this value). The only way to fix this is for the dev to either make Pandora a "visible" application, or change the OOM priority values.

or you can just use a task manager and kill dormant apps/processes before running pandora.

OR

You have to download auto memory manager/autokiller and change the secondary server value to something really low like 8MB or 10MB. I can confirm that this works.

Last edited: