Does music stop when you get a phone call?

Big Cam

Reaction score
I'm curious with app's like pandora or slacker(not sure if its out yet for the droid) will the music stop if you get a phone call?

On my blackberry I love how slacker can run in the background and keep playing music while I surf the web or do whatever, but when my phone rings, the music doesn't stop, so I can't answer the phone.

What does the droid do if you have headphones in and you are listening to music from an app and the phone rings?

Last edited:

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
I'm curious with app's like pandora or slacker(not sure if its out yet for the droid) will the music stop if you get a phone call?

I love how slacker can run in the background and keep playing music while I surf the web or do whatever, but when my phone rings, the music doesn't stop, so I can't answer the phone.

What does the droid do if you have headphones in and you are listening to music from an app and the phone rings?

Huh, any music/streaming/podcast app I've run has stopped when I received a phone call.

My understanding is that voice and data are carried on the same line with Verizon's network, so it has to decide which to allow, and calls win.

If you were connected to wifi at the time, it may have been able to do both?

OP
Big Cam

Big Cam

Reaction score

I love how slacker can run in the background and keep playing music while I surf the web or do whatever, but when my phone rings, the music doesn't stop, so I can't answer the phone.

Huh, any music/streaming/podcast app I've run has stopped when I received a phone call.

My understanding is that voice and data are carried on the same line with Verizon's network, so it has to decide which to allow, and calls win.

If you were connected to wifi at the time, it may have been able to do both?
Sorry, I left out in my first post that i'm on a blackberry and also

My phones on vibrate so there is no ringing sound to cancel the music, and its weird, my phone vibrates and I see a number calling me but my music is still playing in my headphones. If I take my headphones out of my phone, it plays on my little internal speaker. Also no wifi, my Curve doesnt have that option, FU verizon on that one.

I'm at work which is why this is a problem, I don't want my music playing at work, while I'm on my cell phone.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

It does on mine....

Se7enLC

Reaction score
It does stop - for two reasons. For one, the phone is smart enough to have priorities for audio. If you're listening to music, you'll get interrupted for navigation instructions, email notifications, text messages, etc. You will also get interrupted for a phone call.

Secondly, you cannot access cell data and cell voice at the same time - so if you're streaming audio, it would have to stop as soon as the buffer runs out (unless you are on wifi)

rayswift

Reaction score
why would you want your music to keep playing while receiving a phone call anyways? dont you wanna hear the other person? Now if the music stops when you get a phone call then turns back on immediately when you hang up, thats dope! why be mad at that?

SirSyeco

Reaction score
If you're online with 3G, then Pandora will stop for the call automatically and restart after you complete the call.

If you're online with WiFi, then it pauses for a moment, then it starts playing again VERY quietly during the phone call. (very cool)

OP
Big Cam

Big Cam

Reaction score
why would you want your music to keep playing while receiving a phone call anyways? dont you wanna hear the other person? Now if the music stops when you get a phone call then turns back on immediately when you hang up, thats dope! why be mad at that?
YES!!

That's what I'm complaining about, on my BB it doesn't stop, and I want it too, that's what I was checking about the Droid.

miltoda

Reaction score
One thing about the droid or 2.0 android is that when you take a call while listening to calls, you're probably using headphones and when you take the call, your probably take the headphones off right after you take the call. The problem I find is that since pandora (probably happens with slacker as well) is now a background task and paused during the phone call, but when the phone call ends, the audio resumes with the song playing over the speaker. I wish the app would check the state of the headphone before resuming to ensure that the headphone was the state at which it paused to take the phone.

Silver Member
Reaction score
One thing about the droid or 2.0 android is that when you take a call while listening to calls, you're probably using headphones and when you take the call, your probably take the headphones off right after you take the call. The problem I find is that since pandora (probably happens with slacker as well) is now a background task and paused during the phone call, but when the phone call ends, the audio resumes with the song playing over the speaker. I wish the app would check the state of the headphone before resuming to ensure that the headphone was the state at which it paused to take the phone.
yes, this is true. although pandora is setup to stop the music if you remove the headphones, so it's interesting that there's some weird disconnect there.

however, while i'm driving in my car, streaming pandora, receiving navigation and have it streaming through my stereo, it seems very all-in-one.

zfly9

Reaction score
MP3 Music Does NOT Stop

On my phone, which I figure isn't any different fron all of yours does not stop playing MP3's when a call comes in.

When I'm listening to a music program using 3g (Pandora, etc) the music in my headphones will stop (I have my phone on silent, so when I hear a long pause I know a call is coming in) I have to have it on silent at work.

What I don't like is that when I'm listening to MP3's on my SD card, I don't hear the ring at all.. I only get a quick one second pause after I miss the call from the voicemail notification. Since my phone is on silent I know there is a message or notification by a short pause in my music.

How can I know there is a call coming in when I'm listening to MP3's and my phone is on silent. (and in my pocket)

brianr0131

Reaction score
How can I know there is a call coming in when I'm listening to MP3's and my phone is on silent. (and in my pocket)

Take it off of silent when you put headphones on. All sounds will route to headphones then anyway. Just remember to go back to silent if you stop using headphones.

Ding911

Reaction score
I had an old ATnT Tilt that I hacked and put Android on so it was a far from perfect Android experience but once while I was driving and listening to the soundtrack for the 300 movie through my headphones, I took a phone call from my girl friend and the music didn't stop. I proceeded to have the most EPIC conversation about anyone's mediocre day I have had in my life!!

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
While listening to music on my Droid through the audio out, If I receive a phone call the music always stops.... regardless if my phone is set to ringer normally, vibrate only, or silent. The call always comes through. I have the same results using the speaker phone. Isn't this normal behavior? Strikes me as it would be :)

Ding911

Reaction score
While listening to music on my Droid through the audio out, If I receive a phone call the music always stops.... regardless if my phone is set to ringer normally, vibrate only, or silent. The call always comes through. I have the same results using the speaker phone. Isn't this normal behavior? Strikes me as it would be :)

Yeah this is normal but there is an option in Meridian to leave it playing during a call. Its rare that you would want to but nice to have the option and thats the true spirit of Android...options...