"Package File is Invalid"

captainobvious85

Reaction score
In the words of radio callers: "Long time reader, first time writer." I've been using Android since March of 2010 and I love my Moto Droid 1, but this recent problem is really pushing my patience.

I have a stock Motorola Droid 1 with Android Froyo version 2.2.2. I recently had to get a refurbished replacement phone from Verizon due to a glitch in my touchscreen. Since I started using the new phone, I've been getting an error message when I download most apps. The app will look like it downloads 100%, but then while installing, Android gives me the error message "Package file is invalid." I first saw the error when updating the Facebook app, but a re-download usually fixed the problem. The re-download was unable to fix my problem when I was recently trying to download and install "Hanging with Friends." I then factory reset my phone from Recovery Mode and wiped the partition cache. Managed to install "Hanging with Friends." Tonight my girlfriend saw that Geico commercial with the Guinea Pigs in the mini-row boat (Included the commercial at the bottom of my post if you wanted to see it) and wanted to see the associated app (They don't have a blackberry app and that is what she deserves for getting a Blackberry). Got the "Package file is invalid" message. Wiped the partition cache, no luck. Data Wipe/Factory Reset, no luck.

I've gone into recovery mode and wiped the partition cache, and I just did a data wipe and factory reset. Same problem still exists. I currently have no apps installed on the phone since the factory reset and all individual app caches are clear. Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

I've Googled this topic as much as possible, but most solutions seem to be for rooted phones.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!
Chris

[video=youtube;VU6hmgTY76M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU6hmgTY76M[/video]

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you cleared data/cache in the market app?

ab0mb

Reaction score
I agree with guidot. You should try clearing your cache/data from manage apps in settings.

I actually just got this error when downloading this app and a redownload worked for me as well. Maybe they're having issues with the market. Additionally, I had the D1 before I got the bionic and had to get a refurbished one at one point. I remember having a different issue with the market on the refurb and clearing the cache/data from the market app always fixed the problem.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
C

captainobvious85

Reaction score
Ab0mb & Guidot,
Thanks for the help. After my factory reset last night, I tried reinstalling "Hanging with Friends" again this morning. Error message. I followed your suggestion and cleared the market cache, no luck. I then went into recovery mode and cleared the partition cache. Still no luck.

Thanks for the help though,
Chris

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I get this error alot on my new Bionic. I think it's an issue with the new market app. I liked the old one alot better. I also get insufficient storage errors, when clearly I have plenty of space when I check the disk use.

barry.holroyd

Reaction score
I just ran into this issue this morning trying to install mSecure. It would appear to download o.k. and when I clicked on "Install" it would begin the installation, but then fail with the "Package File is Invalid" error. At some point my phone rebooted itself (not sure what triggered that, but not a good sign). I retried the "Install" button two or three times and it failed each time; then, on the fourth time, it suddenly succeeded (counter-evidence that retrying the same thing and expecting different results isn't always idiocy :)). All this happened within about two hours.

Barry

REMilk

Reaction score
I find that I get this message when an installed app that did not come from the App Market (let's say Amazon Appstore) is updated from the App Market. I think the message means that the signature of the App Market app does not match the installed app.

Bob