Overclocking App for Droid Froyo?

mrpjwilson

Reaction score
So I am rooting my droid with froyo and I was wondering if there an app that can overclock a Droid with froyo? Preferably a free app? I hear setCPU might be able to do it, but that costs money.

Thanks

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Dev's who put together apps like this work hard and deserve the few dollars it costs to purchase their apps....SetCPU is the Original and as far as I know the only app that governs and overclocks your CPU and is a must have for O/C'ers

You will also need an OverClocking Kernel (free)

OP
mrpjwilson

mrpjwilson

Reaction score
ya I know setCPU is the best one, and 1.99 is fine. I am just wondering if it for sure works with froyo on a Droid 1. I dont want to root until I know for sure that it works.

Thanks

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
dont overclock your droid while its running froyo, ive burned out three droids already doing this, shouldve learned my lesson the first time

Therre are many people on here overclocked with Froyo without a problem.

OP - If you want to overclock up to 800 mhZ you won't need a custom kernel, but anything over that you will.

OP
mrpjwilson

mrpjwilson

Reaction score
ya I am using universal androot and setCPU. Question about that though: If I want to be clocked at a certain level when my battery is between 100-75, 75-50, 50-25 and 25-0 do I add priorities in that order or do I make the highest priority 25-0, and lowest priority 100-75? Not really sure how the whole priority thing works..

harrellj

Reaction score
Higher the number, higher the priority. Check out the overclocking 101 thread, it explains things quite well.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
mrpjwilson

mrpjwilson

Reaction score
ya that makes sense. so battery < 100 should have a high priority. Then I just read somewhere else that says when using multiple battery levels make low battery lives a higher priority. Also in the picture in the overclocking 101 thing ist has battery < 21 a higher priority than battery < 41

So you are saying I should use something like this?

battery < 100 priority 90
battery < 75 priority 80
battery <50 priority 70

Thanks

harrellj

Reaction score
Honestly? I'd set a screen off profile as highest priority, high temp as next highest and then battery (and 21 being higher is to make sure it triggers).

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
No Profile...1.2Ghz Android 2.2...No Problems

OP
mrpjwilson

mrpjwilson

Reaction score
so if I have something like:

screen off: xx max/xx min Priority 100
temp > : xx max/xx min Priority 90
Charging/Full: xx max/xx min Priority 80
battery < 25%: xx max/xx min Priority 70

then what would it default to if I am playing a game, or on the internet or doing anything with battery > 25%?

Thanks

Skull One

Reaction score
dont overclock your droid while its running froyo, ive burned out three droids already doing this, shouldve learned my lesson the first time

I would really like to know how you managed to do this. At present when the OMAP3430 reaches around 150F it auto reboots as a safety measure to kill off any software that is in run away mode. Even if the offended program relaunched and you started with a full battery, I doubt you could destroy a Droid 1 with it in constant reboot mode since it takes on avg 90 seconds to reboot and during that time the Droid will cool down some and the battery will eventually drain out.

About the only scenario I can even imagine that you could throw out is a Droid on a wall charger, running a very bad application, that auto restarts on reboot and some how burned out the battery subsystem that is powering the OMAP3430. But even then that would probably require a good 8 to 10 hours of you not paying attention to the phone as well as you running an app that needed GPS, 3G, constant SD card writes and the screen on at 100%.

So I will go with either you fried them on purpose or you are blowing smoke to get attention.

harrellj

Reaction score
so if I have something like:

screen off: xx max/xx min Priority 100
temp > : xx max/xx min Priority 90
Charging/Full: xx max/xx min Priority 80
battery < 25%: xx max/xx min Priority 70

then what would it default to if I am playing a game, or on the internet or doing anything with battery > 25%?

Thanks

It would default to what you set in the main screen of the app.