Overclock - A REAL new phone experience.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why not wait for 2.1 which will be out sometime this year and get animated wallpapers and all the official 2.1 apps and then overclock the Droid.

Seems a smarter way to go... am I missing anything?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of rooting?

Advantages: overclocking, multitouch, themes, more 2.1 apps lots more.

cons: void your warranty

But, for what it's worth, it's easy to reverse.

OP
W

wil318466

Reaction score
Why not wait for 2.1 which will be out sometime this year and get animated wallpapers and all the official 2.1 apps and then overclock the Droid.

Advantages: overclocking, multitouch, themes, more 2.1 apps lots more.

cons: void your warranty

But, why wait? There is no reason to. I don't see any real danger, and the things I've gained through root/hacking the phone are awesome. The transparent window pane, different boot modification and the overclock are all great (the overclock being by far the best one).

Why wait?

-Wil

OP
W

wil318466

Reaction score
i'd have to be crazy to do this without insurance, right?

Nope. It voids your warranty (from waht I hear) anyway.

There is nothing "crazy" about this. People are a little overboard when it comes to whats really going on here.

The feeling everyone has is "Well, I've screwed tech things up before, I can definately mess this up and make my 500 dollar smartphone into a brick". I'd say the chances of truly screwing up your phone are less 1 in 1,000. (I'm not sure of the real numbers I'm just guessing). How many people have truly bricked their phone? Have you heard 1 post of anyone burning out their overclocked Droid? Not one. Let me repeat that *Not a single one*. Trust me, if and WHEN someone really damages their phone from overclocking it, there will be a flurry of activity about how to revert back to the original setting.

The posts about warnings of overclocking your phone, voiding your warranty, bricking your device.. I mean, yes, technically this CAN happen, but it leans extremely heavily on the side of it NOT happening.

Like I said earlier, just don't "wing it". Read the directions and get a feel for what you are doing, and you'll be fine. There are people out there are risk-averse to EVERYTHING, and everything is based around fear. Don't be scared, mod your phone if you want. Its well worth it.

The entire reason I made this thread is so that people feel comfortable about making real changes to their device, utilize the "hacks" forums and make changes that actually make a HUGE difference to their device.

Overclocking is, by far, the single biggest thing you can do to your Droid. nothing else even comes close. The Droid should have been shipped at 800 Mhz. I'm amazed at the performance difference, and I'm extremely dissapointed they didn't find a way to have it perform at this level. I mean, obviously, the hardware is capable of doing it.

Trust me, when you feel how much faster the phone is, you'll know what I mean. I switched back to 550 mhz max speed (the default setting) and I felt crippled.

-Wil

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Honestly all I want with 2.1 that I don't have through APK's are animated wallpapers and 5 screens.

I just think for my purposes waiting for 2.1 to be installed and then overclocking seems wiser. I will have everything on the phone I want (dont care about multi-touch) - and I don't boot the phone often enough to even care about boot animations.

If I wait for 2.1 (hopefully not much longer) I'll be able to ramp it up to 800 right after that and have everything I really want all at once.

I'm incredibly impressed with what some of you have made your screens look like with the transparent icons and I'm sorely tempted to restore that one that was posted but I just don't know...

But, why wait? There is no reason to. I don't see any real danger, and the things I've gained through root/hacking the phone are awesome. The transparent window pane, different boot modification and the overclock are all great (the overclock being by far the best one).

Why wait?

-Wil

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am fairly certain I would brick it... so which one of you wants to do it for me :)

Well I already offered a backup that has everything you need....the initial part is so simple my mom could do it.

Install the root update.zip

-- Where do I get this?

once rooted go to the market and install droidroothelper

-- I can do that

follow directions and your done!!

-- Directions on in droidroothelper?

Apply backup and enjoy.

And if I want to restore back to non rooted how do I do that?

shademar

Reaction score
Is there a way to confirm 800Mhz without paying for SetCPU?

It's about a buck. If you can't afford this, you really shouldn't be messing with a 5-600$ phone.

As to 'why not wait for 2.1?'...it's likely that the 2.1 OTA update will break root. Who knows how long it'll take to reroot the system (it took about a month the first time round, but then it was the solitary focus of everyone in the hacker community. You can be pretty sure that anyone who cares about keeping root isn't going to allow the OTA update until it's been modified.)

Thus, waiting for 2.1 might very well mean you lose the ability to overclock, ect, for the foreseeable future. If you want to root...you should probably do it NOW. It's easy as hell to either revert to stock or update to 2.1 manually if you decide you don't need root.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
A couple of issues ive run into.
1. My Verizon is not working
2. Google search suggestions isn't working

Any fixes for these?

otherwise all looks good right now

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well that simple statement decided it for me. Wait for 2.1 - don't root and then wait for a new root. I can wait a month if necessary and I won't have to worry one bit about getting 2.1 perfectly through OTA.

I wouldn't mind the speed but it's not a deal breaker - it's pretty fast as it is.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Bah I really want to do this.

I think I'm going to wait for 2.1 then OC. I'm excited!

+1 I'm doing the exact same thing.

That's what I was waiting for but with 2.1 nowhere on the apparent horizon I may not wait.

If you haven't rooted yet and get the 2.1 update OTA, then you won't be able to root until a new exploit is found. Isn't that correct?

Do you really think it will take that long? It won't. And that's IF close the exploit. I wouldn't be surprised it they left it there. But even if they do they guys at AllDroids will have it before long.

AOSP has it fixed, and has had it fixed for quite a while. I have no doubt a new hole will be found, of course.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Is there a way to confirm 800Mhz without paying for SetCPU?

It's about a buck. If you can't afford this, you really shouldn't be messing with a 5-600$ phone.

As to 'why not wait for 2.1?'...it's likely that the 2.1 OTA update will break root. Who knows how long it'll take to reroot the system (it took about a month the first time round, but then it was the solitary focus of everyone in the hacker community. You can be pretty sure that anyone who cares about keeping root isn't going to allow the OTA update until it's been modified.)

Thus, waiting for 2.1 might very well mean you lose the ability to overclock, ect, for the foreseeable future. If you want to root...you should probably do it NOW. It's easy as hell to either revert to stock or update to 2.1 manually if you decide you don't need root.

Its only a buck if you aren't an XDA-Dev member and get it from the market.

shademar

Reaction score
Check out rootyourdroid.info...it's all sorts of simple to root and unroot to stock.

As to those waiting for the 2.1 OTA and planning on overclocking/theming after its release: Good luck. I mean it...obtaining root doesn't seem to be easy (check out the various Droid Eris sites; the phone has yet to be rooted in spite of being released at the same time as the Droid.) The 2.1 update will probably patch the root exploit.

The dev/rommers seem way more on top of things than GOOGL, MOTO, and VZW, which is why I decided to throw my lot in with them (cc included) than wait for the next google update. It's so easy to change your mnd, to....

Reaction score
Shade, you circumvent your whole argument against why people should wait to root after 2.1 by stating that developers and rommers are more on top of things than the three companies involved. However, if they completely fixed the way to root (is this confirmed? haven't heard for sure yet) and no other way to root is found, there must be a way to reset the phone to factory 2.0.1 or 2.0. Does anyone know of a way currently?