Overclock - A REAL new phone experience.

shademar

Reaction score
Now with that being said the only way to learn is by doing. So we welcome noobs to learn. But in all fairness people need to use common sense (as Speeding Wheels did) if you're the slightest bit 'uncomfortable' than DON'T do it. At the same time don't be clueless about the dangers and think you're invincible (that almosts asures you WILL brick your phone :rofl3:).:icon_ devil:

This, a thousand times. I'm utterly new to android, and it was quite a while before I wanted to try rooting, ect. The whole process was alien (even after following many many threads on the matter) up until I actually did it. I followed a step-by-step guide and the first time I rebooted my phone after first rooting and then installing my first rom...I actually placed it face down because I didn't want to know if I'd screwed it up permanently. That being said, everything worked flawlessly, it was surprisingly easy, and now I feel pretty comfortable with the process.

Semantics aside, I had a problem that was easily fixed thanks to my nandroid backup. Make sure you have sprecovery and a nandroid backup before you do anything, and of course it goes without saying that you're doing everything at your own risk. Also, feel free to ask questions...people will be happy to help, even if there will always be a cool kid crowd.

acturbo

Reaction score
I am fairly certain I would brick it... so which one of you wants to do it for me :)

It is very hard to brick your phone trying to root it IMO. There are always people around that can lend a helping hand if you get stuck. If unsure of a certain step/procedure just ask and Im sure someone would help.

acturbo

Reaction score
Now with that being said the only way to learn is by doing. So we welcome noobs to learn. But in all fairness people need to use common sense (as Speeding Wheels did) if you're the slightest bit 'uncomfortable' than DON'T do it. At the same time don't be clueless about the dangers and think you're invincible (that almosts asures you WILL brick your phone :rofl3:).:icon_ devil:

This, a thousand times. I'm utterly new to android, and it was quite a while before I wanted to try rooting, ect. The whole process was alien (even after following many many threads on the matter) up until I actually did it. I followed a step-by-step guide and the first time I rebooted my phone after first rooting and then installing my first rom...I actually placed it face down because I didn't want to know if I'd screwed it up permanently. That being said, everything worked flawlessly, it was surprisingly easy, and now I feel pretty comfortable with the process.

I "bricked" my phone earlier tonight (maybe this isn't an accurate term since it's not difficult to recover from once the proper tools are in place, but I got stuck in in the endless boot loop) and it took me all of five minutes to fix it. But this is *only* because I spent a lot of time making sure I had at least a rudimentary idea of what I was doing before jumping in. The problem with the process being simple on paper, is that you might have *just enough* knowledge to get yourself in serious trouble.

You did not brick your phone if you recovered from it. People are using that term way to loosely. If you bricked your phone it would essentially be a "brick", useless and unrecoverable.

shademar

Reaction score

I "bricked" my phone earlier tonight (maybe this isn't an accurate term since it's not difficult to recover from once the proper tools are in place, but I got stuck in in the endless boot loop) and it took me all of five minutes to fix it. But this is *only* because I spent a lot of time making sure I had at least a rudimentary idea of what I was doing before jumping in. The problem with the process being simple on paper, is that you might have *just enough* knowledge to get yourself in serious trouble.

You did not brick your phone if you recovered from it. People are using that term way to loosely. If you bricked your phone it would essentially be a "brick", useless and unrecoverable.

I agree actually, but many people seem to use "brick" to refer to "can't get passed boot," which is obviously only a problem if you can't boot into recovery and restore a backup. Hence my parenthetical aside.

Has anyone here actually 'bricked' their phone in the true meaning of the word yet? Almost every case I've seen has been someone messing with root without the proper backups in place...i.e., recoverable if they had sprecovery/nandroid... I've yet to see anyone truly render their droid unusable if they didn't have a safety net. But, I don't see every thread that floats by.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
First of all for all I know you're mom is younger than me and is a programmer.:)

If I install your backup will I lose my Swype and the APK's I've installed? Does yours give the 5 screen launcher? And once I root it and backup yours then I assume all further OTA's will have to be done manually... right?

I am fairly certain I would brick it... so which one of you wants to do it for me :)

Well I already offered a backup that has everything you need....the initial part is so simple my mom could do it.

Install the root update.zip

once rooted go to the market and install droidroothelper

follow directions and your done!!

Apply backup and enjoy.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is very hard to brick your phone trying to root it IMO. There are always people around that can lend a helping hand if you get stuck. If unsure of a certain step/procedure just ask and Im sure someone would help.

Yes, 'bricking' is a VERY uncommon occurrence. It generally won't happen while flashing a ROM. It really is only a problem if you enter very deep into the phone (on WM this was when you were flashing SPLs). Seeing as rooting doesn't require you to go that 'far' with the Droid (least not as I understand it) it's not likely you'll 'brick' the device. Even back on the WM it was a RARITY... you might 'brick' it but there were several ways to fix it (thanks to some VERY smart and crafty guys) so unless you TRIED to brick it you were safe.

acturbo

Reaction score

I agree actually, but many people seem to use "brick" to refer to "can't get passed boot," which is obviously only a problem if you can't boot into recovery and restore a backup. Hence my parenthetical aside.

Has anyone here actually 'bricked' their phone in the true meaning of the word yet? Almost every case I've seen has been someone messing with root without the proper backups in place...i.e., recoverable if they had sprecovery/nandroid... I've yet to see anyone truly render their droid unusable if they didn't have a safety net. But, I don't see every thread that floats by.

I was reading about one guy who actually bricked the phone but he did not do a nandroid backup and did something stupid if I remember correct. Other than that I havent really heard of any cases of it happening.

shademar

Reaction score

Yes, 'bricking' is a VERY uncommon occurrence. It generally won't happen while flashing a ROM. It really is only a problem if you enter very deep into the phone (on WM this was when you were flashing SPLs). Seeing as rooting doesn't require you to go that 'far' with the Droid (least not as I understand it) it's not likely you'll 'brick' the device. Even back on the WM it was a RARITY... you might 'brick' it but there were several ways to fix it (thanks to some VERY smart and crafty guys) so unless you TRIED to brick it you were safe.

Again, I completely agree...but, rendering the phone unusable and unreturnable seems like a reasonable proxy (and enough for anyone truly new to the process to fear.) Is it possible to flash a clean install on a phone stuck at reboot using only adb without sprecovery installed? I honestly don't know, and the answer may be yes, but if not...it's really pretty easy to make your phone unusable in this fashion. It's also really easy to protect against, but if anyone reading 'it's near impossible to brick your phone' takes this to mean 'screw around without sprecovery and a nandroid backup and good knowledge as how to use them"... :eek:

I'm really not trying to misuse the word 'brick' here...But I am trying to disallow the notion that it's difficult to render your droid unusable if you think you can just screw around with it...

deputc26

Reaction score
The Droid's CPU is normally clocked at 600mhz, underclocked to 550mhz for the Droid.

But, the CPUs that are rated for over 600mhz, are not the same CPU. Same family, not same CPU. So beware. I tried 800mhz, but I had backlight troubles. Pity, I kind of liked it :D

Backlight troubles are from the ROM not the OC, it is a known issue with many custom kernels.

OP
W

wil318466

Reaction score

I'm new to it to. I was a bit intimidated, but after a lot of reading, researching, trial and error, I got it.

I never once even worried about bricking the phone. Its not like I ever just started typing in random things or "guessing" about what to type in a command line. I just followed instructions, and if I had a question I re-read the post. If I still had questions, I did a few searches.

I don't think I've heard of anyone bricking their phone yet. They may have had some issues, boot loops, etc, but it seems everyone got their stuff fixed sooner or later.

Its like a computer. If your computer won't POST, then you are in DEEP trouble. But, if it just won't load an OS, well, you can fix that. Thats how I approached this whole process.

-Wil

shademar

Reaction score
Agreed Wil.. I think I should edit 'brick' out of my previous post since it's distracting from the point, which is really that the whole process was incredibly straightforward once I dived in, but it was pretty also easy to mess things up as well.

I only used the term 'brick' because I've seem a lot of panicked posts to this effect and wanted to both reassure peeps that these things can be recovered from with ridiculous ease if you are prepared and that you need to be careful in that preparation.

From what I know, it is possible to eff things up beyond recovery if you don't approach the process with this understanding. It may be *close* to idiot-proof, but nothing will ever be totally there.

I never meant to say "Haha I bricked and unbricked my droid." My point was to say that I'm really glad I had a nandroid backup, and I think everyone who roots should make such a backup as soon as possible.

For what it's worth, I didn't worry in the slightest when I hit the reboot loop because I knew a recovery was possible. And I've been rooted less than a week, so me=newb... :p

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
Is there a way to confirm 800Mhz without paying for SetCPU?

I took the plunge with a little help from somebody who clarified a couple of the steps and did the process to Bugless Beast.. running great! Love the Milestone browser and finally having closed landscape mode!

Thanks everybody.