Overclock - A REAL new phone experience.

CrashnBrn

Reaction score
Bah I really want to do this.

I think I'm going to wait for 2.1 then OC. I'm excited!

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
You have to Root the phone to OC right? Then you can't get the OTA updates I assume... what next?

I want a noob like me to say they did it before I try it... seems like you can really screw up your system.

LakeMountD

Reaction score
I am complete confused on how to do this. Does the phone need to be rooted?

Run 'adb shell su' (all directions provided with single quotes should be run without including them). If you don't know how to do this step comfortably, there is lots of good info on AllDroid starting here: AllDroid - View topic - Important Droid Threads.

This step is confusing, I go to that link and see nothing that seems to help me.

OP
W

wil318466

Reaction score

Run 'adb shell su' (all directions provided with single quotes should be run without including them). If you don't know how to do this step comfortably, there is lots of good info on AllDroid starting here: AllDroid - View topic - Important Droid Threads.

This step is confusing, I go to that link and see nothing that seems to help me.

Go into the hacks section and read some of the guides. When they say ADB shell I downloaded the SDK on my computer and installed it. It was a bit involved.

-Wil

SGTiger

Reaction score

If you haven't rooted yet and get the 2.1 update OTA, then you won't be able to root until a new exploit is found. Isn't that correct?

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
But once you root then you have to find someone to get you the files to the new updates every time.

Seems like alot of trouble.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

+1 I'm doing the exact same thing.

That's what I was waiting for but with 2.1 nowhere on the apparent horizon I may not wait.

If you haven't rooted yet and get the 2.1 update OTA, then you won't be able to root until a new exploit is found. Isn't that correct?

Do you really think it will take that long? It won't. And that's IF close the exploit. I wouldn't be surprised it they left it there. But even if they do they guys at AllDroids will have it before long.

acturbo

Reaction score

+1 I'm doing the exact same thing.

That's what I was waiting for but with 2.1 nowhere on the apparent horizon I may not wait.

I was thinking the same as you, now that I have the new ROM I'm not even sure I need 2.1. I get all the 2.1 features and the phone is snappy as hell with the overclock. Only thing that would make me even think I need 2.1 at this point is Flash support, other than that I am totally happy right now.

gentlefury

Reaction score

If you can get it to a point of doing a nandroid restore you can use my backup....I've built it over the past month from things that have been cool...no custom rom tho, so its really really fast.

800MHz_glass_vkb-BS-20100128-0226.zip

includes, root/busybox, 800Mhz, Mobile Defense in System, Voice Keyboard, Glass Theme, and removes corp cal, email and visual voice mail (they are all still there, just need to be renamed if they need to be restored), and wifi tether (you still have to install the APK application, but it is ready to go)

I tried bugless beauty 800Mhz and it was really slow in comparison.

blitzburgh39

Reaction score
okay. yes when 2.1 comes out we will lose root. as well as our overclockedness... :( but. given time. 2.1 will get rooted. and we will back until the next ota.

get it?

:D it really is a lot faster btw. like. bloo loads instantly. without being open beforehand.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I really want to do this but I think I'm going to wait for "The Idiots Guide to 800Mhz on Droid" to be written and posted.

Yes, that one guide that has 60some steps is pretty well done but there are a couple places where it seems like they expect you to know what they're saying rather than spelling it right out for you.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really want to do this but I think I'm going to wait for "The Idiots Guide to 800Mhz on Droid" to be written and posted.

Yes, that one guide that has 60some steps is pretty well done but there are a couple places where it seems like they expect you to know what they're saying rather than spelling it right out for you.

Well, not to sound like an a$$ but not everyone should OC their phone. A LOT of people shouldn't even root their phones. Their is a certain level of familiarity that is need to make sure people don't 'brick' their phones and then cry about how they 'didn't understand' ect.

Now with that being said the only way to learn is by doing. So we welcome noobs to learn. But in all fairness people need to use common sense (as Speeding Wheels did) if you're the slightest bit 'uncomfortable' than DON'T do it. At the same time don't be clueless about the dangers and think you're invincible (that almosts asures you WILL brick your phone :rofl3:).:icon_ devil:

gentlefury

Reaction score
I am fairly certain I would brick it... so which one of you wants to do it for me :)

Well I already offered a backup that has everything you need....the initial part is so simple my mom could do it.

Install the root update.zip

once rooted go to the market and install droidroothelper

follow directions and your done!!

Apply backup and enjoy.