Outlook Exchange Contact Categories/Groups

Spartan07

Reaction score
I bought the Motorola Droid yesterday and Love it! I have my own Exchange 2007 server, which I was able to easily setup the Droid to sync with for E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar. I wasn't able to sync my Tasks, which was disappointing 'cus I use Tasks a lot for keeping track of various work and personal lists, but I suppose I can use a 3rd party Task List app. No big deal.

However... either I don't know how or the Droid can't sync my outlook categories for my contacts. This is a serious problem, 'cus I have over 1,000 contacts for business & personal and have them sorted between over a dozen categories/groups. I am aware that there is some sort of contact group sorting option when you sync with G-mail contacts, however G-mail contacts will not work for me and my business. I need contact groups for outlook Exchange and I need to be able to sort/view my contacts by these categories/groups on my Droid. I would prefer NOT to use a 3rd party app for this since Android 2.0 supports Exchange natively and there is already a native Contacts program that should support categories/groups.

Can anybody help me with this??? How can I get categories/groups sorting feature on Droid?

Thanks!

kevinosborn

Reaction score
This is a common problem. Gmail just isn't robust enough to handle true contact management. If you search the web you'll find tons of complaints and issues with the contacts and sorting as well as not being able to sync to outlook without going through an exchange server. There are some companies out there working on syncing the Droid to outlook but you can be they are going to charge for the software. Can't believe Google can't put a little effort into sorting/grouping and syncing with Outlook.

windstrings

Reaction score
i used to sync with outlook, but I actually like syncing with Google better just because I can access it from anywhere and work on any computer and it syncs with my phone.....

My petition would be to make Google contacts more robust like Outlook and likewise allow similiar editing abilities on the Droid to work from the phone end.

right now, we can't even edit, add, or delete groups... or even add any or delete contacts to or from those groups... we are lucky to be able to use them at all.