Yahoo e-mail, Exchange e-mail, and Contacts

toddmc518

Reaction score
Hello-

I have three e-mail accounts on my Droid: Google, Yahoo, and a Corporate Exchange e-mail. My Yahoo account is my default. I also have the Corporate Directory App that enables me to search my corporate directory and send e-mails listed in the directory. A few questions:

1. When I compose a message from my Outlook Exchange, is there a way to pull up my Corporate Directory while in the 'Compose' screen (i.e. screen where the message is being typed) and add several e-mail addresses? I would have thought by pressing on the 'To:, CC:, or BCC:' input box area would bring up my contacts (either my default contacts or my Corporate Directory contacts). Rather, a drop down listing of names matching what I type shows up - and only from my default contact listing.

I realize when sending an e-mail to one person, I can find their contact in Coporate Directory App, e-mail directly from the contact and be brought directly to the Compose screen. However, this sends the message from my Yahoo account, not my Outlook Exchange account (see below).

2. If I select a contact to e-mail from my Corporate Directory App, it gives me the option to e-mail from Google or my default e-mail (which is Yahoo) but not my Outlook Exchange account. Is there a way to select my Outlook Exchange account instead (without making my Outlook Exchange my default account)? Could I create another e-mail App icon and list my Outlook Exchange separately?

3. A more difficult question - I have a number of personal work contacts stored on my laptop (these are separate from the contacts listed in the Corporate Directory contacts - those are all work employees contact info) When I sync'd my Droid to Outlook Exchange it downloaded those personal work contacts into my default contacts - as a result, they are commingled with my google contacts. I tried to create and additional contact group on my work laptop with the hopes that I would have created a special group on my Droid that only contained my personal work contacts however, that did not work at all.

Would Touchdown address all of these queries?

Thanks!
Todd.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
When I compose a message from my Outlook Exchange, is there a way to pull up my Corporate Directory while in the 'Compose' screen (i.e. screen where the message is being typed) and add several e-mail addresses? I would have thought by pressing on the 'To:, CC:, or BCC:' input box area would bring up my contacts (either my default contacts or my Corporate Directory contacts). Rather, a drop down listing of names matching what I type shows up - and only from my default contact listing.
You'd probably need to find another Exchange client. I don't use the stock Email app so I can't definitely comment on what it can and can't do. You can drop the "Outlook". It's an Exchange account. Outlook is the client app on your PC. ;)

Would Touchdown address all of these queries?
Touchdown allows you to search the GAL when composing a message and selecting recipients but it does not actually being up the GAL for you to pick recipients.

I'm not sure about your GAL question. I don't have the Corporate Directory app.

Touchdown has its own contacts which can apparently be synced with the phone's. I'm not sure, though, how that would impact point #3. I don't use Touchdown's contacts. My Exchange contacts are synced with the native app. Touchdown is able to use those contacts.

You might want to download and take the trial for a spin to see for yourself. Don't overlook the other Exchange clients such as HTC's Work Email app and Moxier. There may be more suggestions in the Exchange-related threads here. And don't forget that even paid apps can be refunded within 24 hours. I did so when testing out Moxier. It didn't have custom notifications which I really wanted.

Last edited: