OTA Gingerbread, need help

rmr0012

Reaction score
First I apologize of this has been addressed elsewhere and is redundant.

I updated to GB 2.3.3 OTA on my droid X. Although I still see the super user icon, as expected I lost root, as apps needing root (e.g. wireless tether) will not run. Before the update I used z4root given its ease. As z4 seemingly will not root GB, I tried GingerBreak from the xda-developers site as it is seemingly just a easy. However, GingerBreak will not root my droidx. It gets hung and never reboots or roots (I may try to run it again later and let it go for a good while since some reported it took awhile, although I've seen it to be unsuccessful with .596)

Anyway, to the the point. I'm seeing there may be no way to root OTA gingerbread. I see some can install the leaked GB that was rooted. However, the only instructions I see for this are if you are in Froyo still. How can I install a rooted version of GB? I just wanted to make sure I do this correctly as to not brick my phone by doing something stupid (like getting ota gb before researching root options) Any help is much appreciated.

Hobn

Reaction score
I heard there is a 2 part package from P3droid, but I'm trying to find that myself. Other than that, you can flash a rooted sbf.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
R

rmr0012

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info! If I end up trying to sbf back to Froyo and then installing a leaked/rooted GB is there anyway to do this without rdslite?

Also, just so I'm clear, 2.3.3 is GB, is 2.2.340 froyo? Dumb question, but I want to make sure I get all the correct files and such.

ArmyDude

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info! If I end up trying to sbf back to Froyo and then installing a leaked/rooted GB is there anyway to do this without rdslite?

Also, just so I'm clear, 2.3.3 is GB, is 2.2.340 froyo? Dumb question, but I want to make sure I get all the correct files and such.

2.3.340 = Froyo. You must SBF to this. Run Z4Root to root, and Bootstrap.

2.3.3 / 4.5.596 = Gingerbread. Run the 2 part update after rooting and bootstrapping Froyo. If using Droid X Bootstrapper - You have to disable USB debugging. If using Droid 2 Bootstrapper - You are good.

OP
R

rmr0012

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I believe I'm going to try the Linux boot method, especially since my main computer is a Mac. So, just to make sure I have the method down:

1. sbf back to froyo .340 from current ota gingerbread.
2. sbf a leaked/rooted version of gingerbread

I'm assuming going from froyo to a rooted GB is the same process or is there another/better method? What other steps do I need to follow? When do I need to do a factory reset? Back up anything? Do I need to root froyo again first (z4)?

Sorry for the mess of questions. I just don't want an expensive paper weight should I not educate myself enough first.

Thanks again!

ArmyDude

Reaction score
The 596 GB is not rooted. You have to have Froyo 2.3.340 Rooted before applying the 2 part update.

OP
R

rmr0012

Reaction score
Thanks for the help and info. I successfully sbf backed to froyo and then applied the 2 part GB update. So far all seems well.