OTA error "The software update failed!"

DoctorV

Reaction score
I'm on stock 905. I was rooted but I unrooted myself using Supersu. I unfroze all programs that I had frozen in Titanium Back Up. I uninstalled Set CPU just as a precaution. I wiped cache partition.

I was able to download the OTA to 100%. My phone rebooted and I got a picture of the green android dude next to an open box with a yellow status bar underneath it. The yellow status bar got about 25% of the way and then the open box changed to a triangle with an exclamation point within it. About 10 seconds later my phone reboots and gets to my home screen and then I get a message that pops up that says, "The software update failed!".

I've tried it three times all with the same exact results. Has anyone else been having this issue or know how to fix it?

kurumatt

Reaction score
Just use the fxz to 905 it'll clean up your system. You still have remnants of your root in there somewhere. FXZ'ng will save you a bunch of time and its stupid easy to do.

Reaction score
Same here, although I'm trying again now being unrooted and with safestrap uninstalled since I didn't use it.

rkein87

Reaction score
having the exact same problem

I'm on stock 905. I was rooted but I unrooted myself using Supersu. I unfroze all programs that I had frozen in Titanium Back Up. I uninstalled Set CPU just as a precaution. I wiped cache partition.

I was able to download the OTA to 100%. My phone rebooted and I got a picture of the green android dude next to an open box with a yellow status bar underneath it. The yellow status bar got about 25% of the way and then the open box changed to a triangle with an exclamation point within it. About 10 seconds later my phone reboots and gets to my home screen and then I get a message that pops up that says, "The software update failed!".

I've tried it three times all with the same exact results. Has anyone else been having this issue or know how to fix it?

I had safe strap but uninstalled and wiped the safe side. Still rooted. Unrooted with VooDoo.

Thoughts?

marleyinoc

Reaction score
Earlier versions of safestrap made some changes that mean you either have to fxz to .905 or flash the specific original files back over the modified ones. Fxz is the easiest option and will start you with clean phone. I'd do that. (I believe the cdt.bin is the file that's changed, hashcode mentions this in his post about version 3 and why he made it.)

~Bionic .246 w/ SS3

rkein87

Reaction score
I haven't done any tinkering in a while...I don't know what fxz means lol...time to do some research

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I haven't done any tinkering in a while...I don't know what fxz means lol...time to do some research

The old reference for FXZ was RSdlite flashing of the phone. Which is still what you are doing, the slang for it just changed to the type of file you use. (FXZ)

rkein87

Reaction score
The old reference for FXZ was RSdlite flashing of the phone. Which is still what you are doing, the slang for it just changed to the type of file you use. (FXZ)

ohhhhhh okay i know RSD Lite. dont change termonology!

donzz

Reaction score
I did two factory resets and it still says the update failed. If I can't figure it out tonight I will call Verizon in the morning.

jf791

Reaction score
Hi guys, im having the same problem as described in the original post but i have never rooted or done anything like that to my phone... im not smart enouh for all that? Any ideas? Thanms a lot

lm2

Reaction score
Same issue for me. I am on a newly factory reset 905, but I'm rooted with forever root (did that a while ago, but I've done no other mods).

Should I use HOB to fxz? If yes, is there a link to HOB other than to the droidrzr.com post, because I registered but the site hasn't sent me the confirmation email yet.

D

Developer

That's What Happened to me. The Update failed for me several times, so I FXZ a .905 Stock File and then got Matt (My buddy from Motorola) to resend to me then it downloaded perfectly. Maybe your software is bugged or something.

ᄅ° ✖ Droid Forums ✘

Bfp

Reaction score
Hmm thats funny i just talked to Matt and he dont know you..Developer...