Original Droid Keyboard

neonerz

Reaction score
My original Droid's keyboard started acting up so I called VZ for a replacement. Since my Droid is still inside the warranty period, they swapped it instead of going through insurance.

I was half hoping for a Droid 2, but I got a refurb original one (which I'm not really mad about), but the keyboard looks different. Can someone else with a droid confirm with me if I'm going crazy?

On mine, the keys are more...embossed, where the new one is COMPLETELY flat (dont get me wrong, my original one is also flat, but has a different feel to it).

Attached is a couple pictures, hopefully you could see what I'm talking about. The bottom one is mine, the top is the "new" one.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
There were 2 types of keyboards. Someone else posted showed their slightly raised keyboards.

Mine are flat.

OP
N

neonerz

Reaction score
Is there any way I could tell the difference, by serial or something? I'd rather my quirky keyboard then this completely flat one.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I got my Droid on Drop Day last November and I have the raised keys - I have seen the flat ones and it is a considerable difference between the two - my vote goes with the raised

Droids

Reaction score
A year ago we tried to determine by serial numbers and build dates which Droids had raised keyboards. There was no rhyme or reason. We could never truly pin down the reason for the different keyboards and you never knew what you would get. I think everyone agrees the raised or bubbly key version is better. My keys are so flat I'd swear they were concave. I bought mine 6 days after release. One thing is for sure, there was a limited number of raised keyboards manufactured. Probably 99% are flat, though some folks swear their keyboard bubbles up in time if it gets used a lot.

OP
N

neonerz

Reaction score
I guess I'm going to get on the phone with the VZ tech and see how I could get a replacement with the raised keyboard. There's no way I would of kept this phone in the first place with this flat keyboard.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm going to get on the phone with the VZ tech and see how I could get a replacement with the raised keyboard. There's no way I would of kept this phone in the first place with this flat keyboard.

Lots of luck with that. I don't think you'll get far. They can't give you what they don't have.

OP
N

neonerz

Reaction score
The tech started telling me that he's seen this before and its not that there is two keyboards, its the heat from the phone that's raising the buttons.

Now I have to figure out if I want to keep the new phone and hope he's right, or keep the old phone and deal with a messed up keyboard. I'm def not going to waste my upgrade just yet.

I guess I could snap my phone in half and try my luck with Asurion.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score

First off let me say that we highly frown upon comments like this - Insurance Fraud is a serious thing

As far as what the VZW tech told you - it's not true, my keyboard has been raised since 11/6/2009 straight out of the box

OP
N

neonerz

Reaction score

First off let me say that we highly frown upon comments like this - Insurance Fraud is a serious thing

So is a lack of a sense of humor. Plus Asurion's website specifically says they cover ALL damage, including misuse. We had an employee who got mad one day and smashed their blackberry against a wall. When we called Asurion we told them the truth, and sure enough, it was covered.

As far as what the VZW tech told you - it's not true, my keyboard has been raised since 11/6/2009 straight out of the box

You try explaining that to a VZW tech.

Droids

Reaction score
It's true, lots of people had raised keys on day one, right out of the box. VZW techs don't know everything and the one you talked to could have started working there last week.

You could buy a $10 phone tool to disassemble the Droids and swap the keyboards. For that matter, the keyboard membrane should peel right off so maybe swapping the membranes would do it, or it may be the substrate underneath the membrane that provides the 'lift'.

We don't know but we're interested in what you find out. I'm half kidding about peeling off the membrane, may or may not come off easily.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
When i had my droid my friend had a raised keyboard. Me and another friend had flat keyboards.

justinc101011

Reaction score
Its raised because you use It. they come flat then as you use it it peels up lol

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
So is a lack of a sense of humor. Plus Asurion's website specifically says they cover ALL damage, including misuse. We had an employee who got mad one day and smashed their blackberry against a wall. When we called Asurion we told them the truth, and sure enough, it was covered.
They might do this - it wouldn't surprise me one bit but here on the Forum we consider it fraud and therefore don't discuss it -

...and for the lack of a sense of humor I will throw in a dancing banana :icon_ banana:

Last edited:
OP
N

neonerz

Reaction score
Its raised because you use It. they come flat then as you use it it peels up lolp

I guess we'll see who's right. I'm going to keep the new phone and will report back in this thread in a few months. Then again, I don't know how much longer I'll have this Droid, just waiting for the next best thing (with LTE and a hard keyboard :) )

...and for the lack of a sense of humor I will throw in a dancing banana :icon_ banana:

Good save.