Droid comes with 2 different keyboard (like Milestone) ?

The Solutor

Reaction score
Droid comes with 2 different keyboards (like Milestone) ?

I was the first to notice that Milestone comes with 2 different keyboard.

Flat (original)

motorola-milestone-7.jpg

And curved (updated)

dsc00180.png

I'm just curious, the same happens also for the droid ?

Last edited:
OP
The Solutor

The Solutor

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
My keys aren't flat, but they aren't curved that much either. I don't think it's 2 different keyboards, maybe just a different manufacturing process that causes the slight raise.

Here's a pic I found researching this. http://i.imgur.com/tBIB3.jpg The guy's post said he was pleasantly pleased with his raised keys. The only "raising" I see is a simple waved keyboard.

Another post I found said a guy and his buddy got their droids on launch date and their keys were raised. They said other people they knew who also got the droid on launch date had flat keyboards. The only common denominator I can think of is manufacturing process.

OP
The Solutor

The Solutor

Reaction score
The guy's post said he was pleasantly pleased with his raised keys.

Yes, second difference, the flat keys keyboard is often waved, while the curved keys one, is not.

It's silmly a silent upgrade, that no one (at least in europe) has noticed because, everyone has seen only it's own phone.

In Italian forums at least two guys had their Milestone warranty swapped.

The first (lucky) had a flat keyboard on the old phone, and now has a curved one, to the second one the changes went in the opposite direction.

So there is no doubt that the keyboard are completely different on the Milestones, I'm just curios to see if in the US you, Droid users, are aware of that.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
We have the same thing here... some flat some raised. I'd prefer the raised it's a much better build.

Who knows how many raised there are. Or how lucky you'd have to be to get one.

I think the vast majority are flat.

OP
The Solutor

The Solutor

Reaction score
We have the same thing here... some flat some raised. I'd prefer the raised it's a much better build.

Who knows how many raised there are. Or how lucky you'd have to be to get one.

I think the vast majority are flat.

Thanks for you reply.

Seems that are also other minor changes like the battery door (thicker and harder to open) on the curved one, and on the sliding mechanism.

btw I never touched a flat keys Milestone (only seen one on a phone shop) so I cant confirm.

Grey Hawk

Reaction score
I traded in my original Droid for anew one,and this one has a few raised rows and the slider isn't as lose so take that for what it's worth.

OP
The Solutor

The Solutor

Reaction score
I traded in my original Droid for anew one,and this one has a few raised rows and the slider isn't as lose so take that for what it's worth.

Do yo mean that the newer droid has a firmer slider ?

Last edited:

Shaneathan

Reaction score

How did you go about doing that? I wouldn't mind having the raised keys, but don't really have a reason to trade it other than that.

Grey Hawk

Reaction score

How did you go about doing that? I wouldn't mind having the raised keys, but don't really have a reason to trade it other than that.
My first one was having problems, static when either party talked. I had to argue with the Verizon rep for 2 hours to get a new one. Dude acted like I wanted his personal phone.

New one has a "stiffer" slider, meaning you can't close it with one finger unless its in the middle and likewise for opening it. All the keys aren't raised on mine, only the last three rows, the first row is not. I assume its just a manufacturing thing. Similar to why some Droids have different color LED lights. My first one had purple soft keys and teal backlighting on the keyboard. My new one is white with more of a blue backlighting(still a little green).

Reaction score
Where's my google voice search icon?

I just unrooted my phone to stock and as stated above, don't have the google voice search option anymore..any ideas as to how i can find it or get it back?:icon_evil:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This issue came up a long time ago right after I got my Droid in November. I looked at the pictures and at my droid and was disappointed to find that I had the totally flat keyboard. But I used it anyway and just kept truckin' along. Well, a couple of weekes I noticed that my keys were no longer totally flat. They have little bumps in the center now. Not as pronounced as I would like, but much better. At least you can feel the difference as you slide your finger from key to key. MY DROID IS MORPHING!!