Upgrading from enV (original !!!)

are we there yet

Reaction score
I'm a 40 yr old mom upgraing from the original enV . . . old and pathetic I know.

since I have to have a REAL keyboard, I'm assuming I will never know the difference between the Droid 2 and what may potentially be the "new thing" that rolls out around christmas?

And don't laugh, but in the store I couldn't figure out how to make a call on the original droid!!!!! Should I just stick to my rotary phone?????

droidilac

Reaction score
LMAO at rotary phone.... Dont feel bad when I first discovered the Droid I couldn't figure out how to make a call either... There is a slight learning curve but once you figure it out you should be just fine..... Beside we are all here to help out our fellow members...

ocholoco

Reaction score
wow, that enV lasted a while , huh? it's okay that you didn't know how to make a call, there's a learning curve & once you get used to it you'll be fine. plus there's always this forum to help you out :)

OP
A

are we there yet

Reaction score
LMAO at rotary phone.... Dont feel bad when I first discovered the Droid I couldn't figure out how to make a call either... There is a slight learning curve but once you figure it out you should be just fine..... Beside we are all here to help out our fellow members...

LMAO ???!!!!!????? You do realize I had to google the meaning (no joke). :)

Yes, the original enV has lasted thru 2 small kids . . . 20 drops on the concrete driveway . . . and it has teeth marks from the dog. I feel like I'm in a Toyota commercial.

So, I guess the Droid 2 would be like going from a mini-van to a convertible Corvette???? I hate being old.:angry:

Taegost

Reaction score

LMAO ???!!!!!????? You do realize I had to google the meaning (no joke). :)

Yes, the original enV has lasted thru 2 small kids . . . 20 drops on the concrete driveway . . . and it has teeth marks from the dog. I feel like I'm in a Toyota commercial.

So, I guess the Droid 2 would be like going from a mini-van to a convertible Corvette???? I hate being old.:angry:

Your analogy is pretty accurate :) I'm a geek and have used several smart phones in the past, and even I had a bit of an issue with the phone (Once I figured out how to make calls... I had to figure out how to get *back* to the phone interface during a call if I switched away).
It has a lot of great features that can help you a lot, and quite a few apps that might help with raising a family.
You probably won't be able to tell much of a difference between the D2 and anything else coming down the pipe, since you're not familiar with it, but any of them should suit you well. I actually got the Droid for the keyboard, which I never use unless I'm doing something to it that Motorola doesn't want me to do :) There are a lot of great alternatives out there.
And remember this last thing: Age is a state of mind! :icon_ banana:

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I also went from the original enV to the Droid last November. The one thing that was better about the enV was the physical keyboard. I still use it, but the one on the enV was much better. It looks like the one on the Droid 2 will be an improvement over the original Droid one. I would not even think about going back to the enV.

By the way, you're a youngster. I'm 65.

clking

Reaction score
This 40 year old, and no, I don't feel old, and father switched from the EnV last December to the Droid. I can relate to others in that the EnV keyboard was very good. The Droid physical keyboard has been useless to me; my fingers are too big to use it effectively. I recently loaded the ported Droid X screen keyboard and and it is a welcome improvement over the stock keyboard.

I'm not sorry I made the switch. I was already paying the $30 extra per month for the data plan but now it's really worth it. Gmail, a real web browser and applications, not the Verizon variety.

I wouldn't drop it as much as you have the EnV but it is a well built Motorola phone, though still not as sturdy as my old StarTac!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm a 40 yr old mom upgraing from the original enV . . . old and pathetic I know.

since I have to have a REAL keyboard, I'm assuming I will never know the difference between the Droid 2 and what may potentially be the "new thing" that rolls out around christmas?

And don't laugh, but in the store I couldn't figure out how to make a call on the original droid!!!!! Should I just stick to my rotary phone?????

My wife made the jump from a much loved original ENV to the Moto Droid. She tried an Eris and returned it in a week and it took me three months to convince her to try again with the Droid.

And she's also a mom...though slightly over 40. (That's all I'll say.)

Giving up her ENV keyboard was the toughest adjustment she made. There's no question the ENV had a superior keyboard. However, she now uses (and loves) Swype and the physical keyboard on her Droid seldom gets any use.

With that exception, she LOVES the Droid. I think you'll find the learning curve, once conquered, was well worth the effort.