OnePlus 2 #Gripgate; Home Button Sometimes Doesn't Work When Phone is Gripped

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The above video shows off a new problem that a few owners of the new OnePlus Two are experiencing. From what is demoed the phone's home button can sometimes become unresponsive when you grip the device. Obviously folks are calling foul as the last time we had a #gripgate problem it was with an iPhone, and the late Steve Jobs complained that customers were "holding it wrong."

Technically that PR mess was called #antennagate, but even though the symptom may be different, the cause of the problem is the same. In the video the demonstrator shows that the phone works perfectly fine when it is laying on a flat surface. It's only when held in his hand that we see the unresponsiveness start to rear its ugly head.

We don't yet know how widespread the issue is, but reports indicate it is definitely more than a few people. We will let you know if this ends up anything more than an anomaly.

Source: Phandroid

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The report indicates a normal grip... nothing too hard.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I wonder if it has to do with spamming the home button. Maybe its a software thing.
Idk about the spamming part, because it seems to work just fine when he sets it down again. I'm wondering if there's an issue processing the gyro info when it's held up right or something.

Asgard

Reaction score
The more I read about the one plus two, the more I like my one plus one.

The only minor set back this one has is the lack of wireless charging, how could they mess up after doing well the first time?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I passed on the One Plus because of the screen issues. I remember saying how my concerns with some of these smaller oems were in QA. Here we are now with something that looks to be an issue of the internals possibly shorting out. Now I know that every device have their issues, Nexus 6 had issues with the back covers coming unglued, iPhone 6 had bendgate, etc. But unlike with the larger companies you get a quick turn around when it come to getting a replacement.

What scared me off was how long it seemed to take to get a replacement for the One Plus (customs). With companies trying to get us our stuff as fast as possible (drones) we get impatient with a 2-3 day turn around (if it can't be exchanged in a store) you can bet a week or two turn around is not going to fly.

Gremlin

Reaction score
Read it is a grounding issue on the phone like PC747 said

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
The only minor set back this one has is the lack of wireless charging, how could they mess up after doing well the first time?

Seriously. They could have taken the original one plus added wireless charging, fingerprint scanner, and maybe a different screen then... BAM... call it a day.

But, no.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm not totally sure it isn't his fingertips touching the face of the glass on the right as he holds the phone (or possibly a portion of his palm on the left), thereby throwing off the digitizer and preventing it from properly reading the touches at the bottom. This is a potential problem with the soft buttons of the newer phones, but not a problem with the capacitive touch buttons of those that are dedicated.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I'm not totally sure it isn't his fingertips touching the face of the glass on the right as he holds the phone (or possibly a portion of his palm on the left), thereby throwing off the digitizer and preventing it from properly reading the touches at the bottom. This is a potential problem with the soft buttons of the newer phones, but not a problem with the capacitive touch buttons of those that are dedicated.
This was my initial thought too. Although, with how many issues popped up on the OnePlus One with the screen not responding, random lines, etc I wouldn't be at all surprised if there really was a problem there.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This was my initial thought too. Although, with how many issues popped up on the OnePlus One with the screen not responding, random lines, etc I wouldn't be at all surprised if there really was a problem there.
Well you certainly raise a valid argument. I've not followed the phone and its issues so this is the first I'm hearing of any screen/input problems.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Well you certainly raise a valid argument. I've not followed the phone and its issues so this is the first I'm hearing of any screen/input problems.
There were a number of screen issues I experienced when I used the OnePlus One regularly. One of them I gave up on because their customer service would take 2 weeks to respond after each email. Luckily I had my Nexus 5 so I was using that one whenever I had any problems.