Phone doesn't ring

gaiam

Reaction score
Hello All,
My husband and I just got HTC droids a few weeks ago, prior to coming to Alaska for the summer. When we arrived in Anchorage (extended network for Verizon), we noticed that our phones would only ring for a few seconds, not even long enough to get them out of our pockets to answer. Sometimes calls even went straight to voicemail without ringing.
Now we are out in the bush (no data service, just basic phone coverage) and they don't ring at all. We've been here 4 days and only 1 call has come through (out of dozens). When I call from another phone it rings 2-3 times and goes to VM and the droid never sees the call. It does alert me when I get a VM. We have a 3rd person on our plan and he has an older flip-phone. His works just fine.
Verizon has been no help. They can't/won't extend the ring time (they claim they can only do that in our "home area" which is Massachusetts...), and have no further suggestions - basically it's not their problem because we're using another company's network (event though one of their phones works and they claim the droid should be no different). I have tried upping the frequency with which the phone checks for new signals (as per instructions on this forum), but it didn't make a difference.
Any suggestions very welcome! I'm about to spend several hundred dollars to buy old phones down in Oregon, have them programed to our account by a friend, and shipped overnight to us to see if that helps, but I don't even know if it will solve the problem. Help!
Thanks,
Gaia

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I live in regular old civilization and my phone went straight to voicemail a couple times last week. Happens on at&t too. These things can be flaky. Suggestions:

-Make sure your ringer is on.
-Situate your phone so that it has the best reception.
-Pray that other VZ customers in your area aren't "hogging all the circuits"

kpinca

Reaction score
It seems every other call, my phone doesn't ring on my end. I just get a notification that I have a new message. No missed calls, just a new message. It's happening more and more frequently. I did a factory reset yesterday and it's still not ringing. Any thoughts?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That is odd.

Considering you did a factory reset already, I suggest you call up verizon and see if they have any solutions. If anything maybe you need a replacement.

Try dialing *228, option 2, this is already done during factory reset process, but doesn't hurt to try it again.

kpinca

Reaction score
That is odd.

Considering you did a factory reset already, I suggest you call up verizon and see if they have any solutions. If anything maybe you need a replacement.

Try dialing *228, option 2, this is already done during factory reset process, but doesn't hurt to try it again.

THANKS FOR THE INPUT!! Verizon is just telling me to buy a new phone since I'm "out of warranty" - ugh! No accountability!

Jonas

Reaction score
Have you rooted your phone, installed any roms, or done any hacking to your phone? The phone not ringing is probably a corrupt systemui.apk. the only way to fix that is to sbf.

Sent from my Banana Phone

builderboy

Reaction score
My wife and I both have droid x2 with ring problem. They work fine for a while then for no apparent reason they stop ringing. When I go to settings, then sound, then volumn and run the volumn down and then up it wont make the ringtone sound. If I power down and back up and run the volumn up and then down I'll have restored the ringtone. Anyone else having this problem or have a better solution.