Once you no longer use the Droid X as a phone

carguy

Reaction score
I heard today that once someone is no longer using their iPhone as a phone, it is still usable as a wireless device similar to the ipod touch.

Are the droid devices, specifically the Droid X able to do this?

I searched the forums, but wasn't able to find the answer :D

lemodular

Reaction score
Yes, turn on airplane mode (kills voice and 3g) and turn on your wifi. You can do any thing that only requires wifi. Emails, web, apps all work. I don't think you can dl from market though (never tried).

OP
carguy

carguy

Reaction score
Nice :) Thank you

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Jordan8

Reaction score
Yes, turn on airplane mode (kills voice and 3g) and turn on your wifi. You can do any thing that only requires wifi. Emails, web, apps all work. I don't think you can dl from market though (never tried).

You can dl from the market over wifi, so I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to.

GDP

Reaction score
You can do everything except make voice calls and send text messages using the verizon network. You can't download android updates ota either I guess

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Reaction score
Yes, you can do EVERYTHING except texts and voice. Even OTA's. I've even done it before on my retired OG Droid.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Yup you can d/l from the market and take OTA updates via wifi. Done it myself too on my X and my D1.

the5barrons

Reaction score
Does skype work wireless overseas? Leaving for six months tomorrow with the navy, plan is to suspend my service with vzw till I get back...but still use the dx for wireless function (s).

"what evrrrrr"

yuusharo

Reaction score
Does skype work wireless overseas? Leaving for six months tomorrow with the navy, plan is to suspend my service with vzw till I get back...but still use the dx for wireless function (s).

"what evrrrrr"

First of all, thank you for your service to our country and having the courage to do what so few of us have. Best of luck to you!

Anyway, if you download Skype from the market (different from "Skype for Verizon"), it should be able to make calls over wifi with no problem. Also, keep in mind that Verizon will automatically resume your service in 3 months, so if you want to avoid being billed, you'll have to suspend it again around that time.

ericsbcn

Reaction score
I was just in Europe for a week with my Droid X. There is no CDMA service there, so I had it in airplane mode the whole time. And I was able to use a lot of functions, just with wifi. A couple of quirks I found:

1. The GPS doesn't work unless you turn off airplane mode first. I found this solution on another forum. When you want to use GPS, you turn off airplane mode. Once you get a GPS lock, you can turn airplane mode back on. Strange but true.

2. The pre-installed Skype Mobile doesn't work without a cell phone signal. I'm not sure why. I installed the "normal" Skype app from the Market, and that worked fine just with wifi.

One other thing to remember. Google Maps needs a connection to work - either 3G or wifi. So don't expect to be able to do navigation, for example, if you're out of range of a wifi signal.

Jale

Reaction score

2. The pre-installed Skype Mobile doesn't work without a cell phone signal. I'm not sure why. I installed the "normal" Skype app from the Market, and that worked fine just with wifi.
Skype Mobile is to get Skype on 3G (only) so it's normal that it didn't work.