Mobile Broadband instead of Phone Service?

wereheron

Reaction score
I have a feature phone (Samsung Convoy) through work and can call/text all I want for free. It's all the phone that I need, but I really want a something that I can use to surf the internet, listen to audiobooks/music, take pictures, play with apps, etc. The only thing I've found that allows me to do all that is a smartphone (even the newest ipod touch has a really lousy camera), but I don't want to pay a bunch of money every month for phone service I don't need. So...

I'm considering getting a Droid X without activating it. From what I've read, I'll still be able to get online with wifi. My big question is:

If I get a mobile broadband device and service through Verizon (MiFi 2200 for free with $35 a month service) will that work with the Droid X? Would that allow me to use all the features of the Droid X except the phone?

OP
W

wereheron

Reaction score
Is there anybody out there?

Well...I was really hoping to hear from someone who'd actually tried this, but after the total lack of response I went to Verizon and asked there. They told me that it would work just fine. As luck would have it, one of the sales reps had a mifi device on him. He showed me how to set the Droid X to use only wifi and then helped me log in to use his signal. As he wandered around the building, I surfed and was very pleased with the upload speeds.

I really don't understand why this isn't done more often. From what I've read, I'll even be able to make/receive calls and texts using SIPDroid, Google Voice, Fring, etc. So what's the catch? Why do people pay so much more when you can get the same thing for $35 a month?

I'd love to get some responses from people about their personal experiences with this. Anybody?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really don't understand why this isn't done more often. From what I've read, I'll even be able to make/receive calls and texts using SIPDroid, Google Voice, Fring, etc. So what's the catch? Why do people pay so much more when you can get the same thing for $35 a month?

The reasons for not doing it are all personal, but here's mine -- keep in mind that many of these services you refer to didn't exist 12 months ago or when smartphones became commonplace:

1) I use my phone to make calls -- that's why I have a phone and not a Galaxy Tab or other PDA-like device.

2) I would die with a 5Gb data cap -- I'm somewhere at double that, regular usage

3) I dont want to carry two devices around all the time, especially when one device can do both jobs.

To me, the savings isnt worth the hassle.

vatothe0

Reaction score
Also, battery life would be a major issue. The mifi only lasts 3 hours. Have fun with that

Buttonball

Reaction score
But didnt you end up paying full msrp on the phone? I just got a new dx for about one hundred for renewing two year contract

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App