Droid X as a MiFi Modem?

Pool Boy

Reaction score
Greetings One & All,

I'm getting my Droid X today, Friday, 8/6/10. OK!
I've seen the latest commercial that says it can be used as a "MiFi" modem and support several computers with a "hot spot".
If this is correct, do I also need a MiFi modem or will the droid do what the MiFi modem does?

This could be a savings of $60/month based on the info below (but I've been wrong before!)

MiFi Modem
$50/modem (initial outlay), then $60/month data (5gb max), $0.25/text msg. (if no text msg. plan) thereafter.

Droid X = $45/plan 450 minutes + $30/unlimited data = $75/month
MiFi modem = $60/month (really needed?)
Droid X & MiFi modem = $135/month

NADA918

Reaction score
Well, if you want to use it Vz's way, it will cost you an additional $20/month to have it as a "hotspot". I believe it supports up to 5 devices.. I am not super familiar with "rooting" but it will enable your phone to be a free wifi hotspot using the unlimited data plan you already pay for.

Oh and before I forget, the extra $20 a month for wifi hotspotness is capped at 2gb

ggaabe

Reaction score
yeah just root ur droid x it'll save u a lot of hassle

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Rooting you X has it advantages, But with no SBF file to re-flash the device you can Brick your device if you remove/delete the wrong items.

Wadood

Reaction score
I have a sprint 4G Epic and MiFi. I compared it to Verizon MiFi and can say that HotSpot functionality works as well. It gives me about 4 hours continous use which is about the same I get from Verizon MiFi battery. Also, you can tether it for charging and still use it as WiFi.
My only gripe is not with the hardware or the Hotspot functionality but with the Sprint 3G service which is not as good or as consistent (brilliant at times with 4G etc. and unavailable when you need it the most). I am thinking of switching to Droids because of it.