Mobile Hotspot vs Tethering vs Broadband Cards?

Jason603

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've always had a mobile broadband card for laptop internet use. However, I've had a LOT of problems with Verizon's cards ever since I changed to a different laptop. It's to the point where I'm completely done with aircards and want to learn more about the mobile hotspot. Two things have kept me from looking into the hotspot: 1.) I've heard that tethering in the past is slower than the aircards. Has the hotspot capability changed that? 2.) I can't receive incoming calls or texts when connected. Correct me if I'm wrong. Has anyone else made the switch?

Sincerely,
A Noob

luigi90210

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've always had a mobile broadband card for laptop internet use. However, I've had a LOT of problems with Verizon's cards ever since I changed to a different laptop. It's to the point where I'm completely done with aircards and want to learn more about the mobile hotspot. Two things have kept me from looking into the hotspot: 1.) I've heard that tethering in the past is slower than the aircards. Has the hotspot capability changed that? 2.) I can't receive incoming calls or texts when connected. Correct me if I'm wrong. Has anyone else made the switch?

Sincerely,
A Noob
hotspot is like mobile cards, network strength determines speed and you can receive incoming calls while tethering, you just lose data while on the phone

RTDX

Reaction score
In my very limited experience, tethering with the dx is about the same as my old air card as far as speed is concerned.

jonecat

Reaction score
Tough to say, they all 3G connections seem slow to me. I would highly suggest just using DX for 3G tethering (much cheaper), but if you are looking for real speed get a LTE dongle or wait for the LTE phones and get the best of both worlds.