Oh, How WE Worry About Our Droids!!!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As a moderator in the forum I see people frequently post about things that are really insignificant. Silly little problems like how come I only have 2 bars today when I had 3 yesterday.

But let something like that happen to me, and I will go to the corners of the earth to find the answer.

Yesterday I tried calling my pharmacy up which happens to be in a Target store. Instead of getting the usual recording I got three beeps and a disconnect.

So I called in with my VoiP phone and placed my order. You know the usual stuff a moderator has to take. Anyway I forgot about it until I had a few minutes to kill later. So I tried it again. Same thing happened. I try calling other contacts. No problem. I try again to call Target. A few beeps and a disconnect.

So I conclude that it's got to be my phone. I think "I need to change the baseband on this, it's an obvious piece of crap." I again tried VoiP and call went through just fine.

I get someone from the news team and another mod to call the number. They can't get through either on their Droid. So it has to be a Verizon problem, right?

Now I've now spent 3 hours on this stuff. I call Verizon and the friendly rep tells me she gets the same thing too but it can't be Verizons fault! Why not I say, I can call it on VoiP? She says she doesn't know what to tell me.

I call the store to inform them that they have an issue with Verizon phones. The very nice girl says interesting, will tell her manager. I then ask what's the regular Store number so I can reach the pharmacy there, because you got to understand people, drugs at my age are very important. Come to think of it Drugs at my younger ages were very important too, but I digress.

I get the direct number to the store and it has a different area code on it. Huh? I know I've called the pharmacy with the 440 area code before.

I try the same number with a 330 area code and it works like a charm.

My conclusion: The area code changed to 330 in that store but calls were still being allowed to the 440 number for a while. I look at the number on my bottles and sure enough, it says 330.

I spent 4 hours on this last night. 4 hours to find out I was dialing a wrong number.

And don't tell me you wouldn't have done the same thing too. You guys are just as obsessed about this phone as I am.;)

And I'll try to be a little more responsive then saying "what are you worried about" the next time someone ask a really insignificant question

mitchb2

Reaction score
Heh heh, you won't do THAT again.
When I saw area code 330 I glanced at your location.

Where are you? I grew up in Warren.

dclutter1

Reaction score
Good story. I've had advanced troubleshooting sessions that ended with a simple solution like that too. Sometimes it just makes you laugh.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Mule65

Reaction score
I spent 4 hours on this last night. 4 hours to find out I was dialing a wrong number.

It's hard to explain the addiction to troubleshoot Android. Quest for knowledge, discovery, happiness or the dethronement of Apple?

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LOL - solutions are always more difficult to find when the problem dosen't exist.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

It's hard to explain the addiction to troubleshoot Android. Quest for knowledge, discovery, happiness or the dethronement of Apple?

addiction? What addiction?

Hello, my name is Chris and I've been un-bricking droids for...

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Oh that is just toooo funny cuz your right Hook I can see myself doing the exact same thing.................. wait actually I think my husband did and I was ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe we just need to increase the drugs.... LOL

brando56894

Reaction score
Ive had problems like this too, Ive come to the conclusion that all the problems I had before with my droid slowing down 1-5 days after installing a rom was most likely Helix 1's fault and not the rom or kernel like I always assumed, I spent countless hours reflashing roms, kernels and SBFs lol

I then ask what's the regular Store number so I can reach the pharmacy there, because you got to understand people, drugs at my age are very important. Come to think of it Drugs at my younger ages were very important too, but I digress.

hahaha, Im about half your age I know what you mean ;)

mitchb2

Reaction score
Good story. I've had advanced troubleshooting sessions that ended with a simple solution like that too. Sometimes it just makes you laugh.

Wife's netbook was "broken" yesterday. "It won't even boot!!!"

Then I pointed to the power cord lying on the floor.

kennydied23

Reaction score
330...must be near Canton. So many people on this forum are from Ohio too :)

Funny story, stuff like that happens all the time. You just gotta laugh it off and move on

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Its so true...I know I have stopped mid sentence before and ended an important conversation, because my droid rebooted randomly. Now I am figuring our whether its the kernel ..or what. Come to find out I had set the low to 125 somehow. Well my device can handle 1200 but it can not handle a 125 because thats too low.

Droid Does................take over your life lol.

mitchb2

Reaction score
330 covers my hometown of Warren, too. Used to be 216.

My proudest troubleshooting moment was when a lightning strike took out a piece of electronic equipment in our home. I took it apart, saw a blown capacitor, got on a user forum and asked someone who had the same device to identify the value of the cap.

Went to Radio Shack, bought a new cap for less than a dollar, soldered in and...fixed!
My wife was impressed. :)

I also "fixed" my buddy's old 69 Mustang's radio by replacing a fuse.