OG Droid upgrade - OG Still functional - Post what's still working!

poooookah78

Reaction score
So,

I wanted to put this in the OG thread, but sadly it wouldn't get any views/responses.... I have upgraded from the OG to the GNex today.... I wanted to play around and see what would still work on the OG if anything out of wireless.... I tried to make a call w/ it just to ensure I wasn't still on the network by chance. Pulled up maps and it was still working, no wifi, nothing. I was thinking it wouldn't work. Is this crazy or is this expected? What else have you guys found still works/want to keep the OG around for?

mjones73

Reaction score
Maps caches stuff on the SD card, one you got out of the areas you have cached it wouldn't update the maps (though if you had a wifi connection it probably would.)

OP
P

poooookah78

Reaction score
Maps caches stuff on the SD card, one you got out of the areas you have cached it wouldn't update the maps (though if you had a wifi connection it probably would.)

Is there anyway to cache more while off the grid? I'd love to have this thing as a GPS system.

Micro23

Reaction score
Your not crazy bro :) My phone worked for about 30 minutes after they deactivated it. Then all of a sudden it stopped working. I think if you go from non 4g no sim card to the nexus your old phone works for a little while until the network shuts it off. At home I turned on the wireless and the phone old phone is GREAT. Only thing is does not do is make calls. Games/data work perfect.

GPS still works perfect by the way. It's not affected by service. Just tested it again to make sure. Although you might not get the "map" when you dont have service... I wonder if you start it at your house or somewhere with wireless and then hit the road if it works. All I know is Navigation app is working on my no service phone.

Last edited:

escthehack

Reaction score
I heard that the new Google Maps was supposed to support Offline caching. Basically there is a way to set it so that it caches your whole travel route on the SD card. That would be great for using it for trips in a car.

Does anyone know yet if the Nexus automatically detects car mode or dock mode like the OG did?

vtnerd

Reaction score
Is there anyway to cache more while off the grid? I'd love to have this thing as a GPS system.

There is a Labs item (Settings > Labs within Maps) to turn on "pre-cache map area". Never played with it, but it might be what you're after. It would require you to pre-plan and cache as I don't think you can just say "cache my entire state" but I could be wrong.