Upgrading from OG Droid

ColdFusion71

Reaction score
So the time has finally come for me to upgrade my OG Droid and I have some choices to make. I know that I want to stay Android and am looking at 4GLTE since it is now in my area. I have been digging around doing my research for what phone to choose and I am looking for input from people who actually have these phones that I am looking at. Keep in mind that this phone will probably need to last for another 2-3 years

HTC Thunderbolt: I hear good things, but then I also hear the battery life is terrible

Charge: Just really expensive and has the stupid Samsung TouchWiz on it that is crap

Droid X2: No 4G but I hear everything else is positive.

Droid 2: It has the physical Keyboard that I loved about the original droid but will probably miss out on newer OS updates and the tech is old

Sony Xperia: I know this phone is pretty much a trap for people who like to play games like I do and I can't find any solid information.

Or should I wait until the Bionic comes out? I have had my eye on that one for awhile. Anyway your opinions are appreciated.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Honestly if you're not in a rush to get 4g i would personally go with the x2, or even wait for droid 3. I read around that Droid 3 won't be 4g, but what I read could've been false.

I'm not sure if you really use your keyboard or not, but the Droid 3 looks pretty sweet to me.

The X2 is pretty nice, but pretty big. I'm not a small person (6'1", pretty big hands) but even that phone feels big to me.

If you really want 4g the only phone I'd probably get would be the Thunderbolt, or Bionic, whenever that drops. I'm not a fan of TouchWiz so I wouldn't even consider the Charge.

Hope that helped a little.

etx_droid

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you are. I went ahead and ordered the TB online today and was able to get it at a really decent price. I've heard great things about the TB, especially on the dev side...lots of developer support. I've heard the battery problems are exaggerated...guess I won't know until I have mine in hand tomorrow.

I did look at the Charge and the screen on that thing is amazing!

OP
ColdFusion71

ColdFusion71

Reaction score
Thx guys I just have to wait and see how the Bionic thing plays out

timlitw

Reaction score
If you turn off the wifi and gps when you aren't using them the battery life is ok. I've only had mine 3 days and with those turned off I was at 50% on the battery at the end of 10hr work shift each day. So I am satisfied Sometime my OG Droid would be 70-75% but most of the time it was also around 50% at the end of the day. So it is only slightly worse than that. I guess you would probably call my during work day use light tho - 3 - 5 calls of less than 15 min. and 30 min or so of browsing and email and 10 - 15 texts.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would wait like you said. SGS2! Or I may jump ship and grab the evo 3d. Sprint will give you a $125 credit if you switch to them. I really like the Charge though...the hummingbird processor can be deceiving but its not slow. Just wish the phone had more ram.

Sent from my fascinate

Insidious

Reaction score
How about the LG Revolution? sure its binged up but bing maps is pretty damn sweet. And bings search engine isn't bad at all.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

DoubleTapp89

Reaction score
I've bought the Droid X2 today. And I love it. The Dual Core Tegra 2 processors and amazing. I've upgraded from a OG Droid. I wanted a phone that is fast and X2 sure did it. The phone is on the large side. I about (If not the exact size) of the DX. But it actually weighs just a little bit lighter than the DX. But the X2 has it's down sides.

It don't have a Physical Camera Button or Slide out qwerty board. But that wasn't a bug issue with me. But the camera button would have been nice. The Screen is really nice. It will have the Gingerbread update soon.

As of now I have Netflix running. (If you like watching movies.) If you can think of it. The Droid X2 could more than likely run it. I like the choice I've made. Hope this helps you. :)

mamawm

Reaction score
why is everyone so down on the charge. my husband got one last week, upgrading from a d1. it's a great phone and he's not finding touchwiz to be an issue. i've played with it a bit and i'm really impressed. go over to their forum and you'll notice there isn't much going on over there, because they just aren't having any issues to speak of and there does seem to be a lot of d1 owners moving up to the charge.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I also like the Charge. But if coming from a fascinate or droid x their isn't much additional that the Charge adds to the plate. It would be a big difference coming from the OG droid. In terms of developement and hacks there are more posts over at xda on the Charge.

The thing is, is that all of vzws 4g phones are behind in hardware and software compared to what other carriers have out...the pickle for me though is that vzw has the best network in my area.

Sent from my fascinate

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Or should I wait until the Bionic comes out? I have had my eye on that one for awhile. Anyway your opinions are appreciated.
As with every device selection thread, it would help if you could summarize your needs/wants. I can see that you've included some in your brief assessment of each device you're considering but it's trickier to refer to them that way.

why is everyone so down on the charge. my husband got one last week, upgrading from a d1. it's a great phone and he's not finding touchwiz to be an issue.
It's called subjective preference. Not everyone will have the same opinion of any UI (not just Touchwiz).

If you turn off the wifi and gps when you aren't using them the battery life is ok.
For any device, if you're not actively using the GPS receiver (icon in notification bar) it will not impact battery life.

Last edited:
OP
ColdFusion71

ColdFusion71

Reaction score
Yea well it turns out the people at verizon were tryin to rip me off by telling me I needed a new phone or charging me $100 to replace it. Turns out it is still under warranty and I can get a brand new one for free.

One one hand I'm sad I am not getting a new phone, but I am also happy I don't have to spend $200 so yea.

Maybe when it is time for me to really upgrade there will be a phone out I really want

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums