[Official] R2-D2 [D2] Owners Thread

zephyrjs

Reaction score
refurb your own?

Anyone have some sort of guide on how to refurb your own R2D2, or at least swap out the case? Mine's getting pretty dinged up; since there's no root w/o flashing, I can either:

a) buy a new unit, reinstall everything, transfer over as much of the data as I can (can't touch internal memory though)
b) refurb what I've got

I'm not looking forward to losing a bunch of my data, so I think it might be best to just swap out the esthetic elements (case, etc.) and call it a day.

If there IS some way to just physically swap out the innards into a new phone though, including internal memory, that would be ideal. I really don't know much about this though, so if there's a do-it-yourself repair manual (preferably something that doesn't require sodering), then I'd be willing to take an afternoon and take a crack at it.

zephyrjs

Reaction score
Why thank you! Very helpful. I can't tell if these parts have the R2D2 markings though - are there parts available for the R2D2 specifically, or just these Droid 2 parts? (I did look myself first before asking - I don't see anything specific on that site unfortunately, but maybe the markings just aren't shown in the photos.)

Of course, I COULD just buy another R2D2, tear it down using these guides, and use that for the parts, if I must have the graphics. :)

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
NEWS possibly not so new, but NEWS!

Thanks to beh/bhigham sharing the EzSBF+Root bootable ISO & encouraging me to try it out, as of right now I have root on R2-D2 A957 Android 2.3.4 stock Verizon 622 SBF. SWEET!

xda-developers - View Single Post - New method for rooting Droid 2 on stock 2.3.4 (621)
so many people have downloaded bhigham's files, that rapidshare has cut him off
new links here Magic MD5 Root 2.3.4 for D2, R2D2, D2G, DX and 2.3.5 for DX2 - Google Docs

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
Why thank you! Very helpful. I can't tell if these parts have the R2D2 markings though - are there parts available for the R2D2 specifically, or just these Droid 2 parts? (I did look myself first before asking - I don't see anything specific on that site unfortunately, but maybe the markings just aren't shown in the photos.)

Of course, I COULD just buy another R2D2, tear it down using these guides, and use that for the parts, if I must have the graphics. :)
the D2 and R2D2 internal parts are the same, don't think you can buy just the outside shell, for either

izzfizzleyo

Reaction score
hello all you wonderful people who also own droids!:)
got a few simple questions if you don't mind..!
I currently own a droid 2 global, however he just started acting up (issues with the screen, shouldn't be texting when its raining/snowing)
so i'm looking into a new droid and I am not totally sure what the differences are between the Droid 2 and the Droid 2 global,
but the main thing I wanted to ask is how does the R2D2 differ from the D2G? because it is such a kickbutt looking phone but I dont want to ..move backwards so to speak?

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
droid R2D2 a957, has a 1g processor and is cdma (verizon) only
droid 2 Global a956 has a 1.2g processor, radio is cdma and gms(global)

the rest is virtually the same, the processor difference is minor

izzfizzleyo

Reaction score
ahhh okay!
thank you so much for the insight!
(the R2D2 doesn't have a sim card spot like the D2G right?)

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
[ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click .apk to root
I have verified it works with these Motorola devices running android 2.3.4
Droid 2 (a955), Droid 2 Global (a956), R2D2 (a957), & Droid X (MB810)

just download, allow unknown sources, install, open, select top root method (Gimli), reboot phone, done

no pc needed

MrCatPC

Reaction score

just download, allow unknown sources, install, open, select top root method (Gimli), reboot phone, done

no pc needed

Niiiice! Thanks, themib, and for noting the overload on bhigham's rapid share source.

My R2D2 is soon to be a toy now that I'm typing on a new Droid 4. I, too, may be swapping new parts onto the old artoo unit before re-sbf-ing & re-rooting it with disabled VZW radio to be a strictly Wi-Fi game/media drone. This would be keyboard overlay replacement #3, screen frame #2, and he needs new adhesive on the antenna + cam plates.

I will share R2-specific links if I find anyplace new vending parts, but I've been considering a "dead" decent physical condition eBay option for transplanting R2's good guts this time around, as long as I'm already geared for tearing down this phone again. Maybe I'll get creative & pursue those R2-Q5 dark side droid designs I was dreaming up once upon a time...

zephyrjs

Reaction score

no pc needed

I don't know why I didn't get notified of this post when it was posted, but I just wanted thank you - I've been waiting a long time for this. :D